cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions

Hello I am interested in a couple of trucks I seen online however I think they maybe scams and want to see if I can provide the info I can see and have someone type it into you’re system to see if the vehicles are real if the listing is real and if I’m not being scammed

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Questions

@robgil-6863

Did you find the trucks on another website like Facebook or Craig's List and the seller said that eBay will handle the sale and you had to pay with gift cards?

If so it is a SCAM.

That is not how eBay works and they had no part in sales from other web sites. Once you send the codes for the gift cards your money is gone and there is no way to get it back. To purchase a vehicle on eBay you need to sign in to eBay and complete the checkout process on eBay. The vehicle will be in your Purchase History.

info about avoiding such scams (US links):

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/online-vehicle-sale-fraud

lisa5768
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Questions

If you saw the trucks on another site, and they promised Ebay buyer protection, its a big fat scam, and an old one to boot. Ebay has nothing to do with items sold on another site.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Questions

If you didn't find them on eBay then they are 100% a SCAM! 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Questions

The only vehicles eBay sells are listed on eBay.

They are then purchased through eBay.

EBay does not have a warehouse or anything vaguely similar.

EBay does not warranty, ship, warehouse or process payments for any other site.

If you don't see it on eBay, report the scam to the site you do see it on. Those sites are trying hard to get rid of criminals like this, because they are bad for business.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Questions

"Questions"...you have a new account today...

What if the sellers might question if they are being scammed by someone with a "brand new account" today?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Questions

As noted in the other posts, if you saw the listing on any site other than eBay, it's a scam.  

If you want to provide a link, just copy and paste the whole URL.  If you do engage the scammers, they send emails which pretend to be from eBay and which look very real because they copy eBay logos and other style elements.  But their site info reveals that they're fake.

The best thing for you to do is (1) don't correspond with these scammers at all; and (2) report their ads to the web site where you saw them.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Questions

First off, eBay never assists in sales or payments of items on other sites.  It must be listed on eBay to be an eBay sale.  There is no other way.  eBay will NEVER tell you to pay with gift cards. Anyone who does is a scammer.

Automotive sales are to be inspected in person before you pay.  They don't have the same protections as other eBay sales do.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Questions

So you don't think there is any possibility that the OP is referring to one of the standard CL/FB motor vehicle scams in which the potential buyer is told the transaction will go through eBay for his protection and to pay with gift cards?  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Questions

@robgil-6863 

@simba6 

Oh yes! Gift cards are a sure sign of an online scam.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply