cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about international shipping

When buying internationally, a listing will say "International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges."

How exactly does the additional charges thing work? Do they automatically take my money for additional charges, or do they notify you first and ask if you want to pay more?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Any customs or other surcharges for an international shipment are the buyer's responsibility. Depending on how the seller ships they may be added to your initial total price or they may be payable upon delivery. No, you're not going to be contacted to see if you want to pay them. It's your responsibility to research US import duties before you make the purchase. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I've never experienced this from the buyer side, but if you owe customs that would be up to you and your country's customs agency. I did sell something that never had the customs paid, the buyer never got it either and that is where the story ends. I had someone message me once to complain that I didn't mark something a "gift" and they had to pay duty on it, but I don't lie for people and they never asked me to do that either, just complained later. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply