cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent Suspension from PURCHASING

Good evening

So my girlfriendmade an eBay account the other day and made a purchase, 30-60min later she received an E-Mail about har account was Permanently Suspended due to activities putting the eBay community at risk.

She did not list something for sale, the seller is still active.

I’m trying to wrap my head aroud what possible Terms she may violated because I really can’t find anything. Everything I find regarding “putting the eBay community at risk” is in regards to less than truthful sellers.

Anyone who can chime in with a shred of information so I can investigate further, because I’m at rock bottom here trying to figure it out.

In advance, Thank You

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Have you or your girlfriend made purchases in the past and had several returns for items that weren't as described? 

ETA: it's not just scamming sellers who put the community at risk.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The account may be in some way associated with another eBay account that has been suspended.

Perhaps because of the IP address used!  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Maybe they associated her account with an account that has been suspended?

If she shared the same Internet access or WIFI as a member that had been suspended, that would be enough to suspend her account.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I’ve not returned anything and my girlfriend as said, just created the account that same day.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

We’re currently rehoused by the housing association because our apartment is under going restoration. I don’t know anything about the previous tennants where we’re rehoused.

So could be a case of eBay just seeing the IP Address and flagging the account.

My question is then, will she be billed for the purchase if her account is permanently suspended?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@acct150588 

Check the funding source to determine if it was charged.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@acct150588 wrote:

We’re currently rehoused by the housing association because our apartment is under going restoration. I don’t know anything about the previous tennants where we’re rehoused.

So could be a case of eBay just seeing the IP Address and flagging the account.

My question is then, will she be billed for the purchase if her account is permanently suspended?

The most likely scenario here is that someone using that IP address was suspended in the past. I've seen this happen dozens of times, although none recently, with students who log in with their dorm wifi, or someone using an apartment wifi, even people who use the wifi at Starbucks. Unfortunately I've never heard of anyone convincing eBay to lift the suspension. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Start with the employees assigned to social media.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/ebay— Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Her chances aren't good.

She could open a new account from a different address and a different credit card as backup.

But if she used her SSN as ID it would be caught there.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

It could be almost anything.

Using dad's credit card...name on the credit card....address/zip code billing and billing of credit card...anyone else on the credit card...a lot of possibilities.

Address where item is being mailed vs. address of billing of credit card....

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

She could open a new account from a different address and a different credit card as backup.

But if she used her SSN as ID it would be caught there.

To add to this, don't try to open the new account until you move back to your apartment and have a different IP address. Ebay tracks IP address on every purchase. So if that's the issue (and I strongly suspect it is) the new account will also be suspended.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply