cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PARTSDEAL20 Promotion Not being honored

Attempting to buy a set of truck fender flares (eligible for promotion) using PARTSDEAL20 20% auto parts promotion that was emailed to me on 8/22 and expiring on 8/29.

Made an offer using the promotion on a best offer listing, the code applied fine and would have worked should the seller have accepted per the tentative total. Offer expired without a counter from the seller.

Went to make a secondary offer to seller, and getting a return error that “the code is now invalid”. Spoke with customer service and they seem to think making an offer (accepted or not) “counts as a transaction” (in what world a non accepted offer counts as a transaction is beyond me) and since this is a 1x use code I’m out of luck. I don’t believe the support agent looked into this fully and was simply using this as an excuse as they couldn’t figure out why the code was no longer working.

Absolutely poor customer service and shady false advertising in this instance. Anyone ran into anything similar in the past? This seems highly odd and misleading. Would like a different agent to step in and provide a resolution, even if that means providing a 1-off code for 20% in place of the now “invalid” PARTSDEAL20 code as I’m certain considering an unaccepted offer a “use/transaction” was NOT in the spirit of what eBay intended when making this a single use code. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I am having the same issue myself. Doesn’t seem too difficult to solve. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I don't have a solution for you for that issue, but maybe lesson learned? Next time you could communicate with the seller ahead of time to see if he will accept the amount you plan to offer.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@zachanova@gpf0r ,

You cannot use promotional codes with an offer.  You can either make an offer, or use the code but you can't use both of them together.  That holds true with written or online promotional codes  issued by Brick and Mortar stores. 

Most promotional codes on ebay are one time use only. There is probably something in the code's details saying the code cannot be used with other offers or discounts.   When you entered it to the Offer, you used up your 1 chance to use the code. The system tracks the use of the code probably by your used ISP addresses only. It does not track whether or not you used it incorrectly. Why you cannot grasp that concept escapes me.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You’re confusing “Offer” and “Best Offer” here for the entirety of your first paragraph. I have used several eBay promotion codes on “Best Offer” purchases in the past. If the seller wants to reduce the sale price through negotiation with the buyer, eBay has nothing to do with that and does not care…there is no “double dipping” or “combining” when you’re making a BEST offer and using a PROMOTIONAL offer. You seem confused.

My comment is that the spirit of the promotion I’m sure is that each targeted buyer has the ability to COMPLETE one transaction in the promotional period, yet they’re counting a failed transaction as a transaction. Seems there should be a fairly straightforward way to unlink my username / remove the flag on their side from the list of ISP’s that have used the code for a purchase.

This should be straightforward.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@zachanova,

I replied to what you wrote:

"Made an offer using the promotion on a best offer listing, the code applied fine and would have worked should the seller have accepted per the tentative total. Offer expired without a counter from the seller".

When you write "Offer" in a board topic it is assumed you mean Best Offer. Best offers can be ignored and expire after 48 hours. Even if you did not use the Best Offer button, but sent a message making an offer, a seller is not required to reply.  When you sent the message if you checked the send/make offer button, it is considered a Best offer and can be ignored. 

All you have to do to use a promotional code is to commit to buy and enter it at checkout, then it is automatically applied. 

Just because a seller has Best Offer on their listings does not automatically mean they want to accept offers.  Many sellers use ebay's Quick Listing tool which adds Best offer to all of their listings automatically, and the seller has no choice in the matter.  Often that is why offers are ignored or automatically declined.

"... Seems there should be a fairly straightforward way to unlink my username / remove the flag on their side from the list of ISP’s that have used the code for a purchase".

There are a lot of things ebay can/should do on the site, that they do not do. Trying to get them to make changes isn't easy, and sometimes a change they may make results in further problems.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Glad someone posted this. Received coupon Aug 22. Was going to use yesterday and the coupon is already invalid. And the expiry is Aug 29 as well. Spoke to two reps and they can't help either. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I am trying to make an outright purchase with code. Code does not work on anything. Shows 

Unfortunately, this code no longer works. Please continue with your order.” C/S agent stated they have other complaints code is not working and the tech guys are working on a fix-yeah right…

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Same happened to me 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Just a heads up the code is working for me as of right now. I had also called customer service after seeing this thread and the code was not working for me after previously working when I was just checking pricing. Customer service said they had received multiple calls on it and they were working on it and since then I've tried about every 6 hours with it still giving the same code no longer working message. But at least as of right now for me I was able to purchase four separate items from four separate sellers, all in my cart, adding up to the $500 limit and the code went through knocking $100 off so get your orders in before it messes up again!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Saw your message and tested on 08/27. Works. Put together some items to buy and on 08/28 stopped working again. Tried 08/29 and still nothing. coupon was supposed to expire 08/29 PST 11:59pm. The execution of this promotion has been horrible. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Tried “PARTSDEAL20” code on $5xx worth of auto parts on Tuesday Aug. 29, 2023 at 9:20 PM EST.  I was going to make the purchase on the parts and code would not work. Message stated after entering coupon code Unfortunately, this code no longer works. Please continue with your order”. Discount would not apply. 
Under the “Terms” of the coupon code it said it expired on Aug. 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM PST. Then why would it NOT work??? Total Farse…..EBay should still honor the code and give customers an “extension” to use it once they figure there **bleep** out….

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Am totally ignorant about cars and their parts, but have to ask, do these items have to be listed in certain categories for the promo to be honored?  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply