cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offers and Ebay urging buyers to offer bigger

For some reason this really irks me . When you see a BIN item that's , in your opinion at least , priced unreasonably high compared to it would usually sell for . It's been at the same high BIN price for many months without selling and the Make Offer option is available so you decide to make an offer that is , again in your opinion , the maximum that it would realistically sell for . Because the offer is not near enough to the asking price , Ebay automatically tells you that your offer is too low and you should offer more money and they suggest exactly how much money you should offer , sometimes double what it's worth . I never lowball so I find it infuriating that they are poking their noses in something they have no knowledge of other than in percentages . 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Offers and Ebay urging buyers to offer bigger

Ignore eBay recommendations:

They would have you sell at .99 and free shipping.

Buyers would be happy see......

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I suppose that it is an eBay form of upselling.  Frankly, eBay adding the BO option to seller's listings is annoying to me.  Of course, eBay is not known for doing to many things that aren't annoying to someone.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

That's the truth .

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I'm sure it does go both ways .

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@bryan891,

You wrote a couple of times in your post "in your opinion" the price was high, and that the item had been re-listed without being sold.  Did you do an Advanced search of completed or sold listings, to see if it was really overpriced?   Just how much off the seller's asking price was your offer. Before making the offer, did you take into account the 12.9% in fees the seller would pay to ebay and PayPal if your offer was accepted, when making the offer?

I take it your offer was immediately rejected, because the seller had used the automatic accept/decline option, and that is when you received the message from ebay, but was it your best offer?  I agree ebay's messages encouraging people to make higher offers, is a sly way of making a sale of any kind, but they do want to make their share of any sale at any price.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 6
latest reply