cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No way to change address after an order - that is BAD

I have to say I am pretty upset that I can't just change the address when the wrong one was used.  It said I must cancel the order.  Now the seller wants to ship to another address but I can't .. the order is cancelled and there is no way to un-cancel the order.  Now I am going back and forth with seller and my $6000 is in limbo.  If e-bay gets any extra money from this policy (i.e. they charge them twice for 2 sales) than this is simply a dishonest practice.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: No way to change address after an order - that is BAD

Yep, it happens but sounds like an honest mistake so easy to correct on future purchases.  The reason you have to cancel the order if the address is wrong is to protect the seller.  They're required to ship to the exact address that was used in checkout, otherwise the buyer could potentially open a case against the seller later on as delivered to the "wrong" address.  Honestly, I've changed the address a few times for small items, but for a $6000 purchase that's a bit risky haha.

Also about the fees, since eBay does the managed payments now, the fees are refunded I believe except for the $0.30 cents?  It's not like PayPal anymore, where they wouldn't refund the 2-3% fee there.  It's really just the time it takes for the refund to complete is the issue if I understand correctly but just make sure to double check the address for future purchases is all  ; )

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@hookedupinc,

Sellers have no protection against an Item Not Received dispute, if they ship to a different address than the one shown on the payment receipt.  They have no way of knowing if a message asking to change an shipping address actually came from you, or if someone hacked into your account.   What you should do is, message the seller, tell them you forgot to change the address on the payment information, ask them to cancel and refund so you can buy the items again with the correct address. 

"Now the seller wants to ship to another address but I can't .. the order is cancelled and there is no way to un-cancel the order".

If the seller has not agreed to your request cancel the order then it has not been cancelled.  You cannot unilaterally cancel orders on your own, the seller has to agree.

"Now I am going back and forth with seller and my $6000 is in limbo. If e-bay gets any extra money from this policy (i.e. they charge them twice for 2 sales) than this is simply a dishonest practice".

If a seller agrees to cancel a transaction, eBay does not make any money.  You would not be in this predicament if you had taken the time to review the payment information before sending the payment.  It should have shown the address were the shipment was to be sent, with a Change Address button under it.

You can try calling ebay using the Help and Contact button at the bottom of most ebay pages.  To get to the phone number you may have to keep clicking on the "My problem is not mentioned here" or "Other" buttons.   Tell the rep you sent the payment with the wrong address selected, and you need the seller to cancel and refund, so you can buy the items again. They may be able to get the seller to cancel the transaction.

You need to start checking the feedback profile pages of the seller's you buy from. Click on the numbers of neutral and negative feedback they have received, to read only those comments.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

So you're blaming ebay for you not correcting your address before purchasing... brilliant

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

No way to change address after an order - that is   GOOD

I fixed the title for you .

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

they have  to blame somebody, surely not themselves. lol.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

If I was the seller in this case and the buyer asks me to change the address on the order because it was wrong, I cannot  and would not do that as it would void my seller protection.   That could leave me open to a claim for an item not received.  No way would I change an address for anyone.  

Instead I would have to cancel the transaction and refund your money.   The money would go back to your funding source which could take some time. You would have to purchase again with the correct address.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Why is that good? On Amazon I can change my payment method and shipping address after placing the order, before the item has been shipped.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I guess you don't like having more options that can make purchasing here go smoother. People make honest mistakes and there should be an easier option to correct it rather than involving the seller to cancel the order.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

Why is that good? On Amazon I can change my payment method and shipping address after placing the order, before the item has been shipped.

If it's an item coming from Amazon fulfilment this is true.  And Amazon can do that because since they are shipping it from their warehouse they know for sure if the item is shipped or not. They know if they have the ability to stop the shipping process since they are in charge.  With regular amazon items you have to wait for a response for the seller because amazon does not have it in a warehouse 

And that is like eBay.  eBay has no way of knowing if the seller shipped already or can't stop or change the shipping process.  Along with that they only offer seller protection if the item was shipped to the address on file this is to protect themselves and you as a buyer.  So the only way to change is to ask the seller if they can cancel still and have you repay with the correct address

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 10
latest reply