cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback Was Removed

I want to start out by saying that I rarely leave negative feedback. I do utilize eBay's feedback system for almost every single transaction I make. Out of my last 400 purchases, I have only left one neutral feedback, and one negative feedback for an item listed as a brand new Blu ray, DVD and digital download combo that arrived only as an ex rental DVD that was so scratched up it would not play. I sent messages to both sellers before leaving less than positive feedback.

Recently negative feedback I left was removed.

I totally understand how eBay's feedback system can be abused by buyers. This includes not understanding how the feedback system works. I check the feedback from buyers before I make my purchases, so I have definitely seen other buyers leave negative feedback because an item took longer than they expected to arrive, as well as leaving negative feedback based on whether or not they liked the book, record or film, etc... that they purchased, not as to how the seller handled the transaction. That isn't cool and sellers should have the right to have feedback like that removed.

After having the negative feedback I left for a seller removed, I feel like that seller is abusing eBay's system.

The feedback I left was for a seller who blatantly lied to me more than once, was unresponsive, rude, and blamed me for the mishap when the package shipped never made it to the address listed in the order. The package went back to the seller and then sat there for another half a week before I tried to get a refund through eBay, and only after several messages inquiring as to whether they would send the package back out or provide a refund.

In my fist message to the seller I said that a mistake occurred and the package was being sent back to them. I said I wasn't upset, that mistakes happen, especially this time of year. I just wanted to know if they were aware and what was going to happen next. I got no response for 2 days, so I wrote again asking the same thing, if they going to reship it to the address or provide a refund. I received an answer the following day that said they hadn't received the item back, but nothing about what they intended to do.

I wrote again asking what the seller intended to do, but never got a response. The seller told me several times that the package was sent to the shipping address listed in the order and kept saying that I made the mistake. Whatever I entered was where it was shipped. The seller said that they have to pay USPS for returns upon delivery back to them. They still wouldn't answer as to whether they checked the shipping address at all, nor what they would be doing about it when they receive it again.

The address was listed correctly by me (it is a saved address), and it was shipped to the correct address as well. Before that, I did clearly say that I didn't know if there was a glitch when the label was printed or if USPS was to blame. I said that USPS may have made the mistake more than once, but I don't know if it was ever acknowledged. All of this info is clearly available through USPS tracking, where it shows that USPS messed up where upon the day of delivery when the zip code had changed by one number therefore making the package undeliverable.

The seller told me a number of times that I need to be aware of eBay's shipping policy and said after I wrote that not getting any answer as to what would happen after several requests was frustrating, that they think it's "hilarious" that I found the situation that way. 

The package was delivered back to the seller and after 5 days of no word I tried to initiate a refund through eBay, but every time I would start the process eBay would say that the package showed as delivered. Any case opened would automatically close in the sellers favor because of this. It was delivered, but not to the address in the shipping order, only back to the seller. Finding any information on how to talk to human eBay customer support as a buyer proved nearly impossible (I wasn't ever able to find out that info as a buyer).

I had a case to be refunded opened through PayPal, who contacted eBay for more information. PayPal was able to see not only through eBay's tracking, but also via the USPS site that the package never arrived at the shipping address listed in my order, that a mistake had occurred on USPS's end when the package went out for delivery. They saw that the package was delivered back to the seller. The case was closed in my favor and I was refunded.

Because I never received the item I paid for, because the seller never once responded to my inquiries, because the seller lied to me and was rude, and because the package went back to the seller who did nothing about it, I found the transaction a really frustrating experience. It was not a positive at all.

I hope that this seller won't treat anyone else the same way in the future, and by leaving negative feedback for this transaction, I wanted to at least be able to show what took place with my order so that if it does happen again it will be listed in their feedback, something eBay and buyers would be able to see.

In the negative feedback I left, I said that both myself and the seller listed the shipping address correctly and that USPS was at fault for the package not being able to be delivered. I said that I had to get a refund because of the package never arriving and the way the seller handled everything. 

I received a message from the seller shortly after leaving my negative feedback, saying that the only reason I got a refund is because they sent it, again blaming me for the whole mishap. They said that they had my feedback removed. They even attached an unnecessary photo of the returned package. All of the info as to why the package was returned to the sender had been mentioned multiple times, including in the feedback I left stating that we both provided the correct shipping address.

I wrote back telling them to not contact me again, but they did anyways almost immediately, again blaming me for everything and saying that I don't understand how eBay works.

I don't understand why my feedback for this negative transaction was removed by eBay. I understand that a seller can have feedback removed only three times a year and once it is removed it is almost impossible to have it put back. I feel that this seller abused eBay's feedback system and I want to leave accurate feedback for this transaction, just like I do for almost every single order I make on eBay. I don't know what else I can do about this, but is unacceptable.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Negative Feedback Was Removed

When eBay decides a case against a buyer, and then the buyer files the same case with PayPal and wins, the negative feedback for the seller can be removed. It's a form of seller protection.

"An eBay Money Back Guarantee case of the same type was already:

• Decided against the buyer; or
  • Resolved with a full refund to the buyer through eBay"
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your response, but I wasn't able to open a case through eBay.  Even though the package wasn't delivered to the address in the order, it showed as delivered because it was sent back to the seller.  I tried, but I was only shown options to start a return. The item never arrived, so there was nothing to return. As a buyer, I wasn't able to find eBay's human customer support at all to help out with this. I searched all over, quora, reddit, search engines and all the phone numbers I could find did not work.

The only case opened was through PayPal because they were the only ones who I could provide the accurate info to in order to get refunded. eBay did not decide against me. They just removed my accurate feedback in regards to this order with no explanation.

Am I wrong for trying to leave negative feedback for this order? If so, what did I do wrong? I don't think it's my fault that eBay wasn't able to provide a more accurate way of dealing with a situation like this. I definitely feel like I should have the right to leave negative feedback for what took place with my order.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Did you mention feedback in any of the messages to the seller? If so, that's also grounds for removal.

Look--I'm gonna bottom-line this for you. For whatever reason, eBay removed the feedback. You were refunded for the purchase. It will not be reinstated. You're out of gas. Walk away.

At some point, the continued quixotic pursuit of negative feedback for this seller begins to seem like schadenfreude. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"but every time I would start the process eBay would say that the package showed as delivered. Any case opened would automatically close in the sellers favor because of this. It was delivered,"

Ok this seems to read you were able to open a case but it was automatically declined ?  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@balagan82,

"Even though the package wasn't delivered to the address in the order, it showed as delivered because it was sent back to the seller. I tried, but I was only shown options to start a return. The item never arrived, so there was nothing to return".

On your purchase history there is a Return Item Button and a More Actions button. Either one has its own menu and Item Not Received (INR) is one of the options.  However, because you were probably the victim of a fake tracking number scam. Also ebay's tracking info comes through a third party, not directly from a shipper's site. 

Filing an INR through ebay usually results in losing the dispute if there is a Delivered or Returned to sender notice. That is because ebay can only check what the tracking says. Shipper's privacy policies don't allow them to get any other info.  Also because of the Returned to Sender message your feedback would be removed.  Since you did get a refund from PayPal there is only one avenue left to you, that would affect the seller, and that is to report them through their Facebook or Twitter page. 

First the package was probably sent to an undeliverable address or maybe called back by the seller.  Check the actual shipper's site their info may be more detailed than ebay's.  Then use the link below to get the shipping address and package information.

https://www.ship24.com/

If the package was sent USPS you have to go to a P.O. to get the info. You will need a copy of the order details with the tracking number. If you use a phone or tablet bring that so you can show the clerk that info.

The clerks can only write a note on USPS stationary, in general terms if the address was not what it should have been, or that it was returned at the sender's request, and if the package type/size/weight wasn't right. Have them sign it.

If the shipping address is not yours, and the package type/size/weight is not appropriate for what should have been sent. You can print out then scan or photograph or take a screen shot of the info. With it you can report what has happened through ebay's facebook or twitter sites. (I don't use twitter)

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness 

Use the Blue Send Message button on that page.  You will need the seller's username, the tracking # & item number and leave them your username, real name, email and phone#.  Tell them what you learned about the package (you can add a screen shot, scan or clear photo) to the report. Also let them know you did receive a refund from PayPal, because you did not see the item not received button.  However, you  want to report the seller for using the fake tracking scam, as well as trying to delay you from being able to file a dispute through ebay. Ask the rep to look through your messages.  The face book reps are better than the ones who man the online or phone customer service options.

You will not be told the results of ebay's investigation or what if any action is taken against them.  At the very least the seller will have to pay the final value fees, and receive a defect on their account.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Even though it's been a while since this incident happened, I suppose I should say this. I did not once say anything within the correspondence between the seller and myself about leaving feedback at all, only that I was frustrated and the situation had not been positive for me. For that I was harassed, lied to and belittled by the seller. Perhaps Ebay took what I wrote as a threat to leave negative feedback and is why they removed the feedback I left. I don't know though because I wasn't a part of Ebay's process in removing the feedback that at all, only that it happened shortly after I left my feedback, as I was alerted by the seller, again harassing and belittling me.

Again, and please feel free to look at the feedback I've left for others, I very very rarely leave negative feedback and do try to work with sellers the best I can if something goes wrong. I also very rarely have any negative transactions. 

I am pretty frustrated with Ebay for not having better customer service that can actually see exactly what is going on. In my situation where my package showed as delivered through the Ebay tracking system, it would have been right to have someone see that the package was delivered back to the seller, and never to the shipping address in the order. Since it showed as delivered, it wasn't really possible to start a return process with nothing to send back.

The seller definitely abused Ebay's feedback system in this case. I don't feel like anyone at Ebay took any time to really look through our correspondence, in which I hope they would have seen the blatant lies and disrespect that the seller had written to me. I hope Ebay makes it easier in the future for buyers to be in touch with a live Ebay customer service agent.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

”In the negative feedback I left, I said that both myself and the seller listed the shipping address correctly and that USPS was at fault for the package not being able to be delivered. I said that I had to get a refund because of the package never arriving and the way the seller handled everything.”

If you mentioned eBay had to refund you, that is grounds for removal. Can’t mention a case in feedback. 

Nothing more frustrating than to have a neg removed when it was well earned!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply