cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a credit card to bid?

After bidding on items for years and years, I am blocked from placing bids because credit card information is now required before starting a bid. For several years, have only used eBay gift cards to make purchases. Why the change? I can no longer use eBay!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Why the change?

@don2508   It is eBay's answer to non-paying bidders.  Apparently, they don't want to simply get rid of them so they are using this.  There are many topics posted on this board in the last month that actually outlines the limitations/inconveniences/etc.  

Basically, if you put up a funding source (More eBay Buyers are enrolled daily), it means that if you win the auction, the item will be billed to you and paid for as soon as the listing ends.  There will be no more combined wins for a reduced shipping cost, no more "request total" since they will already be paid for individually with full shipping price.  

You can do a board search here (sort by date) to see some of the other discussions. 

If your buyer ID is forced 'in',  any seller that still has their preferences set to require a payment source in order to BID will require you to put up a funding default source.  Sellers were never told that these requirements were placed on their accounts with the Default to YES.  Many still don't.  

Lots of sellers think this is wonderful, while some are asking why they no longer get offers and bidding is noticeably reduced, and that those that do pay are paying separately for some odd reason....LOL . 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@ittybitnot 

< Apparently, they don't want to simply get rid of them ... More eBay Buyers are enrolled daily >  

You put your finger on the problem with simply getting rid of them, i.e., more buyers sign up daily.  A certain amount of those new buyers are going to be deadbeats too.  It's sort of like playing Whac-A-Mole, as soon as you knock one down another pops up.  Additionally, those who were kicked out, they can just get a new email and sign up again; it's not *quite* that simple but it can be done. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hi @don2508  Did it ask specifically for a credit card, or did it ask for a payment method?  I had thought PayPal and any of the eBay Accepted Payment Methods listed below from the eBay Help page would work.  If not, that's really a bummer.  For whatever reasons, not everyone keeps credit cards.  Good luck!

The following payment methods are offered at eBay checkout:

• PayPal
  • PayPal Credit
  • Credit card or debit card
  • Apple Pay
  • Google Pay
  • Spendable funds
  • Payment upon pickup
  • Wire transfer facilitated by eBay (select categories only)
  • eBay gift card or eBay voucher or eBay Bucks

Listings in some categories may offer the following additional payment options:

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I was able to bid on Saturday, on Sunday I could not.
I've been an eBay user for 25+ years and have NEVER failed to pay pay promptly for a winning bid and my feedback reflects that. Apply the change to newer accounts. Don't ostracize your proven users.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I ran into this several months ago;  I have my paypal mastercard linked to my paypal account, as it has been for over a decade.  I couldn't get payment accepted until I uploaded another bankcard under the paypal 'umbrella', so to speak.  It's worked fine since, using either payment source.  Go figure.   

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I have paypal balance to pay for the bid, and still forcing me to put a credit card (which i dont have), last 15 years working whitout issues and now this is blocking me to bid . Its a shame for them. Loosing customers. I will cah out back to my bank account my money and will avoid to use Paypal until they figured out how to get rid of their problem

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Save your money, ebay sellers have decided they need their items more than buyers do.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I don't have a credit card either, wouldn't have one.

If you have a bank account, don't you have a debit card you can use?

Have a great day
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@pizza_man wrote:

I was able to bid on Saturday, on Sunday I could not.
I've been an eBay user for 25+ years and have NEVER failed to pay pay promptly for a winning bid and my feedback reflects that. Apply the change to newer accounts. Don't ostracize your proven users.

Sellers can not block payment methods.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@pizza_man wrote:

...I've been an eBay user for 25+ years and have NEVER failed to pay pay promptly for a winning bid and my feedback reflects that... 

----

Buyers can receive positive feedback only.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I agree with Pizza man - I always pay but never leave a card on file.  I have loved ebay but this may be bye bye!

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Ebay mandated credit card information before bidding, then they withdrew that requirement for a brief period, now they have reinstated it. What gives? Can they make a decision and stick with? If Ebay doesn't remove this hurdle to bidding in the next 30 days, I will wash my hands of this website.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Hi @don2508 

SOME sellers require payment information before a buyer can place a bid or make an offer.  It does NOT have to be a credit card.

I use PayPal as my payment method.  I’ve never given eBay any other payment info.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

i wont be buying on ebay with new policy too hard to keep up with two paying sourses, the last time i bought something i was charges twice, still is not straight, over a month now. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply