cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice - Scammed - fake AirPods

Hello,

I’m embarrassed to admit, but I recently was scammed into buying a pair of counterfeit AirPod pros that were advertised as being new and manufactured by Apple. 

How I know they’re fake: 

- while the serial number on the packaging was recognized on apples serial number website (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209371) the serial numbers for the left and right AirPods were not recognized

- the sound quality is very bad. I’ve owned AirPods Pro since they launched and they are definitely not as high quality sound-wise

- the noise cancellation, transparency mode, and spatial audio do not work

- small design and hardware differences compared to real airpods (eg, the font is slightly different on box and case)

Contacting the seller, they said that I never asked them if they were genuine airpods and that they would not accept a return. But the listing clearly stated these were “Apple AirPods Pro.” After going back and forth, they then offered to let me keep the product and they offered a refund if I would first remove my negative review. To me this seemed suspicious, especially since they had just told me how much money it would cost them if they accepted my return. I told them I would rather initiate a return request and ship them back, then I would remove my review. 

After several more messages, the seller is refusing to accept my return request unless I first remove my negative review. I told them I would remove it after they confirmed my return. 

Should I just contact eBays resolution center?  I’m new to eBay and this is my first bad buying experience. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@gbzm529,

The advice given in the previous replies is good.  There are some other things you need to know though.

A seller who asks you to remove a feedback before they will refund, is violating ebay's feedback extortion policy. If that happens after filing a return request, you immediately ask ebay to step in in the resolution center. You can leave a message on the RC console saying the seller would not refund unless I change my feedback.

The seller has also violated another one of ebay's policies by leaving you the negative feedback comment.  You can contact ebay and ask for it to be removed. You can report both violations, read below to learn how.

If you file a dispute Not As Described or Item Not Received and a seller responds through ebay messages, that you cannot read in the resolution console, it is probably an attempt to scam you some how.

Before buying anything read everything on a listing page. In this case the seller's actual description "Sealed never open" would have me thinking the seller is foreign reinforced by the comment they left for you which sounds like English is not the seller's first language.

Before buying from any seller you should check their feedback profile page as well.

You do that by clicking on the number in (  ) to the right of their username. On the page that opens click on the As a Seller tab. Your seller has a fair number of feedback, but only 2 for selling, and has left only 2 for buyers. If a seller has received neutral or negative feedback, you can click on those numbers to read only those comments.

To report the policy violations:

• You click on the Resolution Center button at the bottom of most ebay pages.
  • On the page that opens, under the The Actions for Buyers header in a small font is;
  • Need more help? Learn more about Resolving issues as a seller or Resolving issues as a buyer
  • both of those are hot buttons, click > on the as a buyer link.
  • Next page > on Reporting an item or issue with a seller
  • Next page scroll down to the Report a seller button >
  •    "      "      Check either The seller isn't responding... or The seller has violated one of ebay's policies. Then > Continue
  •  
  • Next page enter the seller's username without their feedback (  ) number
  • select the closest option or Other.

In the text box type a short message; "When I requested a return, the seller asked me to change my feedback (feedback extortion) check my messages.The seller has also left me a negative comment with a positive rating which I would like removed"

then hit the submit button. If you haven't receive a refund mention that as well. eBay will probably refund you without you having to return the buds.

In this case leaving the negative feedback was appropriate.  However, you normally should wait until the resolution process has ended before leaving a feedback. If a seller responds promptly and appropriately they may not deserve a negative.  Always keep feedback comments professional, without calling a seller names. Simply state the facts of the case.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You are covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

The reason for the Dispute is Not As Described.

The seller will be told to send you Return Shipping.

If they don't, you win the Dispute and are refunded.

If they send it, you return the item and all the included packaging, and when you see it has been re-delivered you will be refunded.

Feedback is the last part of the process and even then is voluntary.

I told them I would rather initiate a return request and ship them back, then I would remove my review.

Tricky.

This could be construed as Feedback Extortion and backfire on you.

Don't try to talk to Customer Service.

Open the Dispute which is robotic and efficient.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks a lot! Like I said, this is new territory for me. I didn't know about feedback extortion, but they were the first one to propose a return in exchange for removal of my review. Hopefully I did not mess up here.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@gbzm529 You have purchased an item on a platform that offers a money back guarantee so you have nothing to worry about. Just follow the procedures for a return. Go to your purchase history and select the item. Mark it as item not as described, which is the option you need to select and it doesn't work so it's correct. You only get one chance at opening a return case so take your time and choose this option. Seller will have to send you a return label and then all you have to do is print the return label and ship it back before the time period ends. Very simple and you will receive a full refund. Best of luck to you....

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the reassurance. I have done what you suggested.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@gbzm529,

The advice given in the previous replies is good.  There are some other things you need to know though.

A seller who asks you to remove a feedback before they will refund, is violating ebay's feedback extortion policy. If that happens after filing a return request, you immediately ask ebay to step in in the resolution center. You can leave a message on the RC console saying the seller would not refund unless I change my feedback.

The seller has also violated another one of ebay's policies by leaving you the negative feedback comment.  You can contact ebay and ask for it to be removed. You can report both violations, read below to learn how.

If you file a dispute Not As Described or Item Not Received and a seller responds through ebay messages, that you cannot read in the resolution console, it is probably an attempt to scam you some how.

Before buying anything read everything on a listing page. In this case the seller's actual description "Sealed never open" would have me thinking the seller is foreign reinforced by the comment they left for you which sounds like English is not the seller's first language.

Before buying from any seller you should check their feedback profile page as well.

You do that by clicking on the number in (  ) to the right of their username. On the page that opens click on the As a Seller tab. Your seller has a fair number of feedback, but only 2 for selling, and has left only 2 for buyers. If a seller has received neutral or negative feedback, you can click on those numbers to read only those comments.

To report the policy violations:

• You click on the Resolution Center button at the bottom of most ebay pages.
  • On the page that opens, under the The Actions for Buyers header in a small font is;
  • Need more help? Learn more about Resolving issues as a seller or Resolving issues as a buyer
  • both of those are hot buttons, click > on the as a buyer link.
  • Next page > on Reporting an item or issue with a seller
  • Next page scroll down to the Report a seller button >
  •    "      "      Check either The seller isn't responding... or The seller has violated one of ebay's policies. Then > Continue
  •  
  • Next page enter the seller's username without their feedback (  ) number
  • select the closest option or Other.

In the text box type a short message; "When I requested a return, the seller asked me to change my feedback (feedback extortion) check my messages.The seller has also left me a negative comment with a positive rating which I would like removed"

then hit the submit button. If you haven't receive a refund mention that as well. eBay will probably refund you without you having to return the buds.

In this case leaving the negative feedback was appropriate.  However, you normally should wait until the resolution process has ended before leaving a feedback. If a seller responds promptly and appropriately they may not deserve a negative.  Always keep feedback comments professional, without calling a seller names. Simply state the facts of the case.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Wow, thanks so much for this!  I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this and offer advice! I am going to do everything you suggested here.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Furthermore, since you evidently are new and evidently did not read the Money Back Guarantee before buying on eBay, it would be a really good idea to read it now.

Another suggestion:  Drop back to the Boards periodically and do some reading.  I think I've learned more here than on any other place on eBay.  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Will do, thanks!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"The seller has also violated another one of ebay's policies by leaving you the negative feedback comment.  You can contact ebay and ask for it to be removed. "

Wow I never knew this. I sometimes see buyer's feedback with a comment "warning: chargeback buyer" or its variation. Why does eBay not allow this? Doesn't it help sellers to sort potential bad buyers out?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@chanyuc 

Because it will not be read by anyone but the seller's future customers. And when a potential customer sees a seller badmouthing previous customers, she will backbutton the heck out of there.

Same goes for angry, long, and often unenforceable Terms of Sale.

The original buyer already knows the seller is unhappy and she doesn't care.

Most other sellers are using Fixed Price and only see buyer FB when the purchase has been made.

Most auction include a Buy It Now option and that seller only sees buyer FB when the purchase has been made.

EBay does not use feedback to assess accounts unless there is a violation like FB extortion or false positives.

And of course, the false positive still shows as a positive on the buyer's account. Most buyers don't look any further than the number and rating of FB.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

And on behalf of all the decent  sellers on eBay -- and they are the vast majority -- I apologize for your first buying experience here being such a poor one.

=

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you! I know that the majority of sellers are good on here. I’ll just have to pay more attention next time to spot the bad ones. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Our point here is that, whether or not you are able to "spot the bad ones", you are well protected by eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  You need to read it, understand it and use it in a timely fashion. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply