cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make an offer. Select a payment.

Unfortunately, my account was selected for this new feature. I made an offer. I submitted my payment information. My offer was accepted. Three days later ebay still did NOT pay for my purchase. The seller sent me an invoice. I paid for the items myself. How is this helping sellers. How is this helping buyers. Ebay is ruining my reputation as a buyer by not paying for my purchase after providing my upfront payment information. I've made multiple calls to ebay. As usual ebay has done nothing. At this moment I have 11 pending offers in may Paypal account that have all been declined or expired.  According to paypal they will be sitting there for the next 30 days unless ebay does something. Ebay has done nothing. This is the worst idea I have ever seen ebay implement in the 19 years I've been a member. And there have been many, many, bad changes over the years. I have stopped making offers. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Make an offer. Select a payment.

Three days later ebay still did NOT pay for my purchase. 

@jevf1234 

Someone else posted about this exact issue recently.  I was looking for the thread for you to see if the problem was ever resolved, but can't find it at the moment.  I will look some more, but there is a chance someone who reads here can find it that is better at this board's search feature than I.   Hopefully, you will not be charged twice since you used the "auto pay feature" which appears to be on the sluggish side, AND paid yourself via the seller's invoice.  Keep an eye out for this, but don't confuse  it with transactions that are marked "pending".  Not for certain, but if you are going to be hit twice there will be one that says "pending", one will be the actual charge.  If you got two pending and two charges for the same amount then that is not good. 

At this moment I have 11 pending offers in may Paypal account that have all been declined or expired.  According to paypal they will be sitting there for the next 30 days unless ebay does something. Ebay has done nothing. 

Though related to this issue, it appears that this new system puts a hold on the amount of your offer.  When it is declined, the hold is not removed.  Some say the hold will remain for ten days tying up your available money even though no transaction has taken place and is NOT going to take place at all.  It is interesting that you were told 30 days.  There has been lots of discussion about this over the last couple of days, but we are getting radio silence on the issue from eBay.   You can read about it here: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/I-got-charged-immediately-for-a-quot-make-an-offer-quot-that-wa... 

and in the seller update thread starting at post #33 here: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/2022-Winter-Seller-Update/Question-thread-Reducing-unpaid-items/td-p/3...

Though you can come to your own conclusions, it seems only eBay (or their agent, perhaps Adyen) can release the holds on your money when an offer is made with a pre-selected payment source.   eBay  isn't  talking. 

Should you get this resolved, please post back and tell us what you did to get the problem solved so that we can help others.  There will be others.   Some have suggested using the big blue button on this page to access the more knowledgeable (with authority to help)  branch of eBay customer service, but they typically do not deal with managed payment issues.  Might be worth a shot, though. 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

Good luck, and let us know. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@jevf1234,

I believe it is seller's accounts that have been automatically opted into offers having to come with the payment method. As I replied in one of the links provided. I checked my selling account and that Buyer Requirement had been added and enabled.  It didn't affect me because I have used Best Offer for 3 years now, but I disabled it  anyway.

If you make an offer and it wants your payment info in the future, you may want to contact the seller and ask them if they enabled that feature and to check their buyer requirements.  Not only is the hold a problem, but sellers cannot send a combined shipping invoice, if offers are accepted for several of their items.  They have to refund the difference and the fees for that portion of their final value fee are not returned. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I also have separate sellers accounts on eBay. Once I came across this issue as a buyer I did some research on the community boards and found out that as a seller I could opt out. I was not informed that I was part of this as a seller. Once I became aware, I logged into all of my accounts and unchecked that box. As a buyer I was extremely frustrated with the situation. I did not want my buyers to be as frustrated as myself. I would rather receive offers then have somebody get aggravated and not make me an offer at all. What you said about contacting the seller is a good idea. Thanks for your reply.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

This was ebays response.

For the orders that are showing as pending on Paypal's end, we are unable to remove those. Any pending charges that are done are on your financial institution's time line to remove, eBay is not able to hurry along that process. While I know that isn't the news you were hoping for, I do apologize. In order to remove pending charges, that is up to your financial institution, in this case Paypal. 

Our new Best Offer process has been rolling out, and while it has had some hiccups we assure you we are taking feedback on the process to help make it better, and value your input so that we can help make the process better. As the program expands, this will become the normal process for all buyers making a Best Offer. Those users that had their accounts first selected are not able to opt out, as it is expanding to become the normal standard. 

We greatly value your time here with eBay and are making these changes to further increase your experience. While we know change can be frustrating, we are confident that in the end these changes will make it better for all eBay users. I do appreciate you taking the time to contact us and provide that value feedback that I can now pass along.

I did just check my paypal and 3 of the pending orders have been removed. I'm not sure but it seems like 7 business days to be removed. 

I still don't know how this is going to benefit all ebay users. As a buyer, I'm done with best offers. To much of a hassle trying to deal with it. As a seller, I've opted out of the requirement but if I'm done with best offers, how many other buyers will not bother making an offer because of the same issues.

Thanks for all your replies. It is greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

we are unable to remove those. Any pending charges that are done are on your financial institution's time line to remove, eBay is not able to hurry along that process.   In order to remove pending charges, that is up to your financial institution,

@jevf1234 

Thank you for that information.   While it may be true that eBay presently can do nothing about it, I think it is due to their own processing program, and NOT the fault of any bank or financial institution.  I found this article that pretty much explains the situation with authorization holds, and even indicates that merchants (eBay is the merchant) that behave in this fashion are likely to start incurring chargebacks by the customers that are dissatisfied.  

https://midigator.com/blog/credit-card-authorization-hold/#:~:text=An%20authorization%20hold%20tempo....

"IN SUMMARY...

There are a couple drawbacks of using authorization holds, but they can basically be summed up like this: you could potentially damage your reputation.

When used correctly, authorization holds can be a frictionless — sometimes even helpful — part of the customer experience. But if used incorrectly, they can cause understandable frustration for everyone involved.

Remember, when you put authorization holds on customers’ accounts, you are freezing their funds. You are preventing them from making other purchases. Holds give you a lot of control over someone else’s money. Be conscious of how you are using that control."

and 

"Visa went on to explain that administrative mistakes could cause the authorization hold to last up to eight additional days. Customers will likely be upset if you continue to freeze their money even after they’ve asked you to release it."  

The article seems pretty easy to understand, and explains the removal of authorization holds.  It is the MERCHANT that uses the system appropriately or not, and has nothing to do with the financial institution. 

If I have misinterpreted the information, please feel free to let me know. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Forcing a buyer to select a payment method before making an offer is a very bad idea.

It's also a problem if using a payment service , such as Klarna.You have to actually create a temporary card through Klarna or other payments service and of course they take out the first payment soon as you do and then if the offer is declined , you have to wait to recieve your first payment back from Klarna and now they also charge a small fee for using their service as well..

Ebay should leave well enough alone , but noooo, that would be asking eBay to do something sensible and useful🤨

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply