cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made a return request before item shipped

So, I've made a pretty big mistake, this whole thing is a big mess.

A seller had refused to give me a immediate refund on an item I had paid for. They then relisted the item on their page.

I had made a return request by accident when I was looking around at the options. I then closed the case seconds later because I made the request unintentionally.

I've contacted eBay support about this, but I'm still worried I may not even receive a refund after the mistakes I made.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@bryhe52,

Things may not be as bad as you think, but for us to determine that, Go to your purchase history open the order details and just under the item's title you will see the Item number.  Post that to a reply here. Do Not post the Order Number the one with hyphens.

"A seller had refused to give me a immediate refund on an item I had paid for".

Many high volume sellers on ebay use a system that sends the payment notice to a warehouse where their items are stored and an order w/ shipping info is filled out. They cannot stop that process.

Even if the seller had the item at home and agreed to cancel the transaction, which they do not have to agree to do.  Refunds are not immediate.

Seller's cannot immediately relist items, even if that agree to cancel. Are you sure the listing you bought didn't have more than one available? You buying one, would not end the listing.

"I had made a return request by accident when I was looking around at the options".

You can't file a return request by accident, since there are 3 steps involved.

1st, you have to click on Return this Item, which since you haven't received it,  you have nothing to return.

Then you have select one of the 10 reasons for wanting to return it.   Then finally confirm the reason.

How long after doing those things did you close the Return request?

"I've contacted eBay support about this, but I'm still worried I may not even receive a refund after the mistakes I made".

How did you contact ebay's support/customer service?  If you looked up a phone number online, none of the ones shown connect you to ebay.  If you used the Chat button on an ebay page, and told them what happened, you should hear back from them within a day.  The same would happen if you received a call back, phone call.

For future reference, when shopping on ebay, you should save items you are interested in to your watch list. Then when done searching, go back to your watch list and select the item and seller, you want to buy from, from the saved listings. You can then delete the rest.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sorry but when you closed the case eBay can no longer help. You will need to file a chargeback with your credit card or PayPal.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Support has told me they'll still look into the matter. That the seller has 72 hours to refund me since I had unintentionally made and closed the case. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@bryhe52,

Things may not be as bad as you think, but for us to determine that, Go to your purchase history open the order details and just under the item's title you will see the Item number.  Post that to a reply here. Do Not post the Order Number the one with hyphens.

"A seller had refused to give me a immediate refund on an item I had paid for".

Many high volume sellers on ebay use a system that sends the payment notice to a warehouse where their items are stored and an order w/ shipping info is filled out. They cannot stop that process.

Even if the seller had the item at home and agreed to cancel the transaction, which they do not have to agree to do.  Refunds are not immediate.

Seller's cannot immediately relist items, even if that agree to cancel. Are you sure the listing you bought didn't have more than one available? You buying one, would not end the listing.

"I had made a return request by accident when I was looking around at the options".

You can't file a return request by accident, since there are 3 steps involved.

1st, you have to click on Return this Item, which since you haven't received it,  you have nothing to return.

Then you have select one of the 10 reasons for wanting to return it.   Then finally confirm the reason.

How long after doing those things did you close the Return request?

"I've contacted eBay support about this, but I'm still worried I may not even receive a refund after the mistakes I made".

How did you contact ebay's support/customer service?  If you looked up a phone number online, none of the ones shown connect you to ebay.  If you used the Chat button on an ebay page, and told them what happened, you should hear back from them within a day.  The same would happen if you received a call back, phone call.

For future reference, when shopping on ebay, you should save items you are interested in to your watch list. Then when done searching, go back to your watch list and select the item and seller, you want to buy from, from the saved listings. You can then delete the rest.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

What will posting the item number do? 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The seller only had one item listed at the time. It was just a random seller on eBay that was wanting to sell one item.

I had cancelled the request a couple minutes after I submitted it. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@bryhe52 wrote:

Support has told me they'll still look into the matter. That the seller has 72 hours to refund me since I had unintentionally made and closed the case. 

They might look at it, but they won't do anything.

Once you closed the case, it's done.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

We want the item number so we can see for ourselves what listing details are in the listing.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Support has told me ......

@bryhe52 

Those people say a lot of things that are not necessarily true.  Most of them can't override the system path you have chosen, even if "by mistake".  Oftentimes that "72 hours" is their code word for NEVER.  

Sellers are not required to "cancel" and provide an immediate refund simply because you want one.  You closed the 'return request', so that ship has basically sailed.  If you actually get a product, you will have to file with PayPal if you paid that way, or your credit card for a return. 

Others are asking for the item number to view the actual listing.  to see if anything else is amiss that may be of assistance to you.  Examples might include other clues to a fraudulent transaction or the seller is no longer registered.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@bryhe52 The case is closed... there is no refund coming through eBay. I don't know how you could start a return by mistake, but obviously you didn't want to since you didn't even have the item to return. It seems like you were trying to find some way to get a cancelation to go through even though the seller had said no to your request.

If the item is going to be shipped to you, why exactly are you expecting a refund before you get the item? I'm assuming since you paid for it the seller has to ship... it could be possible they have more than one and they listed another for sell. If the seller is bad they may take advantage of the closed case situation and never ship, but you have other avenues for a refund if they try that.

Wait to see what happens for a while, and then if the item never arrives turn to your credit card company or PayPal or whichever payment source used.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

CS 'support' reps reached from this site are useless, and if you found an online phone #, as mudshark states, that will get you nowhere.  It's a scam#.  Ebay for business on social media would be the best bet for real help, should you need any in the future, but as others have already stated, once you close a case, it's closed. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply