cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost a bid

I lost a bid I was winning and had been winning because for no reason with less than a minute left I was blocked and I am not the only person this has happened too with this seller. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Lost a bid

You have 1 feedback.

Seller has the right to block bidders or cancel bids.

Seller might prefer buyers who make purchases at least once a month.

Some sellers when they see a 0 feedback bidder...I said some...that is the outcome.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

Then don't wait till there is 1 minute left I had been bidding on this item for over 12 hrs. They could have reached out and told me well before. That is their right and it's my right to worn people that this could happen to them.  Well if I was the winner of that auction I would file a complaint because the winner still had to pay alot more because of what I had set for my high bid.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

@saabs8805,

"I lost a bid I was winning and had been winning because for no reason with less than a minute left I was blocked... I had been bidding on this item for over 12 hrs".

You were likely kept from bidding, because you reached a new buyer limit on how much you can spend and/or how many items you can  buy at any one given time.   The limits are placed on all new buyers accounts, and on buyer's  accounts that have been inactive for over a year.

The link below seems to have been rewritten again, leaving out some important information. When the limits are applied To new or infrequent buyers, and especially, about the Open transaction limits. The amount you are allowed to spend is not specified, nor is how long the limits will last. Basically ebay will tell you to buy from Buy It Now (BIN) listings and pay immediately, which proves you are a reliable buyer.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buying-limits-restrictions/buying-limits-restrictions?id=4012

Open transactions are:

Items you have committed to buy, but have yet to pay for.

Offers you have sent that have yet to be accepted/declined by a seller, or time out after 24 hours.

Each l bid placed on 1 or more auctions, until the auction ends and you win and pay, or you are outbid on and lose.  Bids you have been out bid on remain active (open) until an auction ends, because another bidder could retract their bid, or a seller could cancel someone's bids, for some reason, leaving you the winner.

The number of open transactions that are allowed at any one time while the limits are in place, is 4 or 5.  That is a rolling number and can be reused when you pay for an item, or in the case of auctions, you win and pay, or lose. 

If you want to participate in auctions, the best way to bid is to place one automatic bid for the most you are willing to pay for the item, and to place that bid close to the end of an auction.  Bidding over and over again, one increment at a time which experienced members call nibble bidding, means you will always be reacting to other's bids. Read the information in the link below especially the part about Automatic bidding. 

If you open the link about Tips for bidding, there is another link in that about Bid sniping. Sniping is placing an automatic bid in the last seconds of an auction. It takes practice to snipe, but if your automatic bid that was placed earlier is higher than the sniper's you will win. It is not always the last bid that wins, but the highest one.  Adding a few odd cents to your automatic bid can break a tie if you and another person bid the same amount.  It is possible to win an auction by as little as a penny, at the very end.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/bidding?id=4003

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

Well if I was the winner I would file a complaint because the winner still had to pay a lot more because of what I had set for my high bid.

LoL, that's ridiculous. How can you complain you paid too much when your high bid is what you were willing to pay?

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Well if I was the winner I would file a complaint because the winner still had to pay a lot more because of what I had set for my high bid.

LoL, that's ridiculous. How can you complain you paid too much when your high bid is what you were willing to pay?

@fab_finds4u,

I'm still on my first cup, so maybe I'm not fully cognizant yet. 

But,  Don't you mean why would the winner complain, when their bid was the higher one, and they already knew how much they had to pay to win?

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

Thing is you guys are replying to an ebay edited post. They edited it these are not my exact words. The post wasnt Lost a bid. They edited the title and  what the post said.. It was to stay away from a specific seller with a history of blocking people at the last minute on auctions. I'm sure this will get edited also.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

@saabs8805 wrote:

Thing is you guys are replying to an ebay edited post. They edited it these are not my exact words. The post wasnt Lost a bid. They edited the title and  what the post said.. It was to stay away from a specific seller with a history of blocking people at the last minute on auctions. I'm sure this will get edited also.

Hi @saabs8805 

We’re not allowed to warn members away from specific people.  Usernames will be deleted.  

There’s no reason for your last post to be deleted.  It’s fine.  🙂

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

@saabs8805 

< you guys are replying to an ebay edited post >    

I saw your post last night before the moderator edited it.  I started to answer, and my answer would have referred to the same limit that @mudshark61369 was talking about.  When I went to the Help page, to link you to details in eBay's own words, I found that it didn't refer explicitly to limiting bids, as I thought I remembered; it seemed to be applying only to a limit on purchases, so I aborted my reply.  I didn't realize that the Help page had been rewritten. 

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

Love that they have all the control when you are trying to help people. Trust me if I knew that in the last minute they were going to cancel my bids I would have saved my time and effort and just found a card store or gone to a different auction site and spent my time.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

@fab_finds4u wrote:

I'm pretty sure they mean if they were the other person who did actually win the auction, they'd be upset because their (the OP's) bid raised the price the actual winner paid. Still not accurate, but better than you read it to be. 

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

@saabs8805 wrote:

Love that they have all the control when you are trying to help people. Trust me if I knew that in the last minute they were going to cancel my bids I would have saved my time and effort and just found a card store or gone to a different auction site and spent my time.

I'm not the seller so I don't know what the seller was thinking when they canceled your bid. (I'm not even sure your bid can be canceled with just 1 minute left in the auction!)

But if indeed you were the high bidder, there's no logical reason for a seller to cancel your bid and block you since they'd make more money selling at a higher price!

But having said that, sellers look at buyers' feedback (more often what's left for others) but in this case, I've got to wonder whether the seller might have inferred a problem buyer when seeing the 1 feedback @saabs8805 has. However in looking at other feedbacks left by the same seller (not the one in question), I see that the seller has a habit of leaving feedback that makes buyers look bad. (I'm not sure of the seller's end game here!) 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

@saabs8805,

What might help is if you still have the auction saved, to post either the ebay item number found in the upper right of the item specifics box, or a screen shot of the bid history page. Maybe then we can give you more info.  I still think because of your profile you ran into the new member limit.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

@saabs8805 

One should not be ‘bidding for 12 hours’. 

Decide the absolute maximum you are willing to pay and add a few cents. 
Then, bid once, bid your absolute maximum and bid as late as possible. 

One doesn’t have to, nor should they, react to every bid above them. 

If you bid early, you give others a chance to bid against you.
It gives the seller time to look at your profile and perhaps, make judgements against you, such as your low feedback score. It’s not fair, but it happens. 

Bidding late doesn’t always win. Sometimes there are others willing to pay more. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Lost a bid

Well i set my projected max bid and that lasted till the last 2 hrs of the the twelve since I had placed it.  then I set my absolute max bid which was 500 over the current bid so I couldn't be bid sniped in the last 10 seconds. And with 10 sends left I get a message saying all my bids on this item were canceled because they couldn't verify the buyer.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply