cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyword Spamming

I've been buying from E-bay forever but rarely make a purchase now because of all the keyword spamming in listings from more sellers than I can count, I can report the sellers over and over again nothing seems to be done about it. It's not just a couple keywords it's hundreds of words that have nothing to do with what is being sold, It's so blatant yet E-bay does nothing. I'm ready to close my account.  Example item 126389472860

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Keyword Spamming

@lllosingit,

Your example isn't exactly Keyword spamming. I believe the seller wrote Hydramatic, Hydromatic, Hydro, to cover the common misspelling or pronunciation of a Hydra-Matic transmission. Over the years I've heard many refer to a Hydra-matic transmission as a Hydro-matic one.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I'm not talking about the title.....jesus is everyone that dense..... Look at the listing itself...that is where keywords are listed.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Keyword spamming sellers can certainly be annoying, but with very little effort you should be able to filter out most of those listings. It might be as simple as using a couple of well-chosen filters or a single exclusion term.

The more unrelated keywords a seller includes, the easier it is to filter out all those listings. All you have to do is find one keyword that is unrelated to your actual search -- one make, one model, one year in some cases -- and all the results that contain that keyword can be easily excluded and ignored.

And since most of the keyword spamming sellers are lazy, they tend to reuse the same spammed keyword lists over and over, so once you have found a way to block that seller, all of the seller's listings can continue to be blocked if you save your search to use it again.

And for crafty sellers that make it harder to filter out their listings, you can block those sellers individually by username.

What was your original search? Most likely there is a quick modification that can save you a lot of time and avoid those unwanted results.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

How is there a quick modification when you are looking for a two word item and both words are in that persons keyword list, This group is pretty much worthless lol

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@lllosingit,

When you described your problem as Key Word Spamming,  it is most often related to the title search,  and not the body of the listing, so that is what we looked at.

Since the part in the listing you gave us could have been used on any number of GM cars or trucks, the seller could have ebay legally listed a few other auto brands in the title. They could not add Ford, Dodge, AMC... in the title and if they did ebay would consider that to be key word spamming.

Since you did not mention the spamming that took place was in the listing body, we did not look there.

If in your reports to ebay, you selected Search and Browse manipulation as the reason for the report, ebay's rep would look at the title just like we did, because that is where the SEARCH manipulation takes place. Not seeing keyword spamming in the Title they would not take action.

After looking at the whole listing I reported it. Unfortunately the 100 character limit in the text box makes it hard to describe the problem, but hopefully it will work,  You may want to try making the same report, with a slightly different message, using the report item button and reasons in the screen shot below.

mudshark61369_1-1711458915636.png

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

How is there a quick modification when you are looking for a two word item and both words are in that persons keyword list

Find another word in the spammer's list of keywords that has nothing to do with what you are looking for, and exclude that word from your search using a minus sign in front of that keyword.

If you provide an example of your search I can show you how it works.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Most here think they have an answer for everything.

Loose Cannon
Message 8 of 8
latest reply