cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with sellers that expect feedback but won't take the time to leave feedback.

I'm strictly a buyer and ebay and sellers would be nowhere without us, yet one out of every four sellers won't take the time to leave feedback. I've been patient but it's getting worse. I am a good buyer! I pay immediately and leave feedback. What more do sellers want and why is there no way to get customer service anymore? I quit Amazon because of their **bleep** and I don't want to quit ebay as well!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Issues with sellers that expect feedback but won't take the time to leave feedback.

All buyers have 100% feedback. It's a non-issue, really. Glad you're here!

Afterthought... I leave  feedback. Shop with me!

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Issues with sellers that expect feedback but won't take the time to leave feedback.

A lot of sellers don't leave feedback out of protest, more or less. It doesn't have anything to do with you. When eBay stopped letting sellers leave factual negative feedack sellers decided if they can't tell the truth if their buyer returned a key ring instead of their cell phone or an empty box instead of their Rolex  then they won't participate in the feedback.   

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

You have left 301 feedback comments for sellers. You have received 280 feedback comments from sellers.

I'm not seeing the "one out of every four sellers . . . "

In addition, your current feedback shows 260. What exactly would you gain if it were 2,600 or 26,000? It's not a contest: there are no winners for most feedback.

If I got a discount of some sort for reaching certain feedback levels, it might be of interest to me, but I don't, so . . .

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

You do know that FB is optional and not required, right?

And that buyers can be given only positive FB, so a lot of sellers do not bother?

Just checking.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@downsge57,

@pburn, mentioned the 21 feedback disparity, but didn't mention that most of the missing feedback is probably for the multiple item purchases you've made for some sellers. All purchase you make in a 1 week period from a seller count only as 1 feedback no matter how many you receive for the transactions.

If you go look at the feedback profiles of the sellers you've bought from recently, you'll probably see they have left way more feedback for buyers than they have received. 

"I am a good buyer! I pay immediately and leave feedback. What more do sellers want and why is there no way to get customer service anymore"?

All buyers even the non payers and scammers have the same 100% feedback rating as you, so sellers do not know how reliable you really are.  Paying is mandatory on ebay, but leaving feedback as a buyer or seller is voluntary, no one has to leave it, and some sellers feel that leaving a feedback because a buyer did the minimum required of them in a transaction, doesn't warrant an atta boy.  Besides, most of the things a buyer can do to harm a seller cannot be done until they pay. 

FYI, feedback was never meant to be a thank you either. It is being used that way but that was not its intention. It was created back before electronic payments were available. Back then buyers had to mail checks or money orders, most did it promptly others not so much.  The feedback they received could reflect their true reputation, now it cannot.  

How many other sites that you buy from leave you feedback?

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@downsge57 

Paying is required and, by itself, does not warrant feedback. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@downsge57 wrote:

... What more do sellers want and why is there no way to get customer service anymore? I quit Amazon because of their **bleep** and I don't want to quit ebay as well!

I don't see what feedback has to do with customer service which, by any definition,  involves helping a customer choose and use a product or service and / or solve problems that arise over the lifetime of the product or service. 

Maybe that's why no other sales venue has buyer feedback and why eBay allows only positive buyer feedback, if a seller volunteers to leave any feedback at all.

Happily, based on the feedback you have voluntarily left for sellers, it seems you've had good experiences buying on eBay, so I hope you stick around.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

This is not kindergarten. Every action does not get a "gold star sticker" to show what  wonderful children we are.

Buyer feedback is meaningless, and useful for nothing.

Walmart does not put up a banner outside the store with my name on it praising me publicly for paying for my purchase. Lowe's, Home Depot, Amazon don't have a web page dedicated to all the buyers that have paid, listing their names, and date of purchase to glorify their great accomplishments as buyers.

I leave feedback for buyers after I ship, but that is mainly to placate the possible retaliatory buyers that may leave negative feedback  because they feel slighted for not  being praised for doing nothing more that paying for their purchase.

I do appreciate their purchases/$$$, but they have done nothing other than what is expected in any transaction.   Buyer gets a "thank you" on the packing slip when the get the item(s).

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

As a small Seller, I have found  3 out of 4 Buyers don't leave FB, so actually IMO, 75% is superb. I send immediate FB to Buyers as a Thank you and ship their item ASAP. I have come to view payment from a Buyer as their thank you to me and call it a day. Another thank you from a Buyer is a No Return and without them leaving FB, I have to assume it was what they wanted and service was 'as expected'. This does not change my mindset, deliver good service and then deliver good service.

As a Buyer, I see what goes into selling, leave FB for sellers 100% of the time and truly appreciate the standout professionals. The ones who care are easy to spot.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Feedback on eBay is and always has been voluntary.  Since 2008 sellers have been limited to leaving positive feedback for buyers or none at all.  Many sellers have merely opted for the latter.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I am angry because I bought a delicious chocolate cake from a local bakery. I paid $15.99 and they DID NOT LEAVE ME A POSITIVE REVIEW. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

No other site leaves me feedback so it really doesn’t bother me if I don’t get it here. In fact, I sometimes forget to check.

I do make sure to leave it because I look at it as a review for a business.

I do it all the time for other businesses too.

Restaurants and stores don’t leave me reviews for paying at the time of purchase. It’s pretty much expected before I walk out of the store with merchandise or place the order online.

I don’t need applause for having money and paying for something.

A thank you is always nice of course. In brick and mortar stores I would expect it. On Ebay a nice note or feedback is a warm fuzzy.

But it’s nothing I’m going to get upset over or quit buying because of.

I’m here to get stuff I need/want at prices acceptable to me. I want them to arrive in one piece in a reasonable time frame. I’d like the seller to get back to me in a reasonable fashion if something goes wrong.

The rest is just frosting.

Patriotism…is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. -Adlai Stevenson
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Not again? Aren't you still waiting for a positve review from that delicious rye bread you bought in 2001?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Please don't quite eBay because of feedback. I'm sorry to hear you have sellers who don't leave you feedback, there is no answer really for why they don't. Each one is different, but I understand how you feel. We like to see those feedback numbers go up!

If you message a seller and ask them to please leave you feedback, they usually will. I always leave it for my buyers, usually right after I ship. I understand, but so many people do not.

Message them, say, "Hi. Would you please leave me feedback on the item I bought from you, I would really appreciate it. Have a great week selling!"

Don't let other people upset you for asking this question BTW, feedback is very important to most buyers and sellers, unless they have been here forever and no longer care 🙂 Go get your feedback!

Have a fantastic week too!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply