cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Just Convenience or Just Sneeky for ebay to Place the WATCH Button so Close to BID Button?

Is it coincidence, convenience or sneakiness for ebay to place the "WATCH" button so close to the "BID" button and similar buttons???

How often has somebody accidentally hit the BID button (instead of the WATCH button) and panicked? If someone accidentally pressed the BIN button, I believe ebay's policy is to treat "unintentional" offers to buy the same way it treats "intentional" offers to buy.

In the case of placing a bid, what happens when you hit the "BID" button, does an empty field appear that indicates the minimum bid to make a bid valid or is their a "CANCEL BID" button?

If someone pressed the BIN (accidentally), are they required to buy or is there a cancellation button? What if there is an Buy-it-Now listing with the option to make an offer, could somebody offer nothing, cancel or if required to make an offer, could they offer just $0.01?

It seems like the placement of these "put your money where your mouth is" buttons is intentional.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Is it Just Convenience or Just Sneeky for ebay to Place the WATCH Button so Close to BID Button?

Bid.bin and make an offer are  multiple step processes.Hitting the bid button opens a bid  screen to input bid then a comfirm screen,bin goes to a confirm screen and/or  does not complete until payment is made,make an offer has offer screen to input amount and confirm screen.Buyer is not the buyer until all the screen are complete and can back out up until they confirm

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

But why do you think ebay places (ebay does things methodically and intentionally) the "watch" button so close to the other "hot" buttons?

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

(Trying not to chuckle & smirk) Ummmm, various choices:

-choice A - so the bidder accidentally bids

-choice B - so the bidder accidentally bids

-choice C - so the bidder accidentally bids

-All of the above - so the bidder accidentally bids

Yeah ebay & their games.  When they let the sellers know we were watching their items, I switched back to the old-fashioned way of bidding/buying......I BOOKMARK and haven't looked back-)!!

**************************************************************************************
I'm only on the internet once or so per week, so if you have a response or question for me and I don't get to it within 2 hours, be prepared to wait another week or more. Sorry but fuzzy furballs take catnaps too!! -)
MY REVIEW/GUIDELINES FOR BUYING ON EBAY FOR BUYERS -UPDATED JULY 31 2017
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Do you normally type numbers into the bid box while hitting the watch button?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

The bid button is a big blue button that you can't miss. The watch button is a small grey box thats easy to miss. I haven't placed a bid in months. I put items on my watch list daily and have never mistakenly clicked the right box. I also don't type numbers in when clicking the bid box and when I DO use the bid box, I then have to confirm that bid.....so I don't for one minute think ebay is trying to trick anyone. And if you click the BIN button, again, you have to click AGAIN and confirm the purchase so your conspiracy theory is way off. If any of that happens because the buyer is being careless and not paying attention. Or their rogue wife got access to their account.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@coast-commerce,

What the former misjen316 wrote is true, but you also have to watch out for rogue kids, pets, invading birds, pranksters, and a this time of year poltergeists, get frisky also.  3 steps to place a bid 1) bid button, 2) place a bid amount 3) confirm the bid. 

You'd be surprised how many people's cats and pre-schoolers seem able to do that. We are!!!

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

The bid button is a big blue button that you can't miss. The watch button is a small grey box thats easy to miss. I haven't placed a bid in months. I put items on my watch list daily and have never mistakenly clicked the right box. I also don't type numbers in when clicking the bid box and when I DO use the bid box, I then have to confirm that bid.....so I don't for one minute think ebay is trying to trick anyone. And if you click the BIN button, again, you have to click AGAIN and confirm the purchase so your conspiracy theory is way off. If any of that happens because the buyer is being careless and not paying attention. Or their rogue wife got access to their account.

I don't understand how it matters if someone hits the bid button unless they put numbers in the bid box ahead of time something I would advise them against doing for that very reason.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Recently ebay has modified the listing setting to the default "watch" setting, so I am watching my own listings.

I would just like to see the "watch" button placed away from the "hot" ($$$) buttons; no pressure, no mistake, no problem...besides, I can not bid on my own listings.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

I don't understand how it matters if someone hits the bid button unless they put numbers in the bid box ahead of time something I would advise them against doing for that very reason.

It doesn't matter but OP somehow things it does and that ebay is trying to trick people SMH

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

The bid button is a big blue button that you can't miss. The watch button is a small grey box thats easy to miss. I haven't placed a bid in months. I put items on my watch list daily and have never mistakenly clicked the WRONG box. I also don't type numbers in when clicking the bid box and when I DO use the bid box, I then have to confirm that bid.....so I don't for one minute think ebay is trying to trick anyone. And if you click the BIN button, again, you have to click AGAIN and confirm the purchase so your conspiracy theory is way off. If any of that happens because the buyer is being careless and not paying attention. Or their rogue wife got access to their account.

Sorry mistakenly typed "never clicked the right box". Fixed to "wrong box".

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

The bid button is a big blue button that you can't miss. The watch button is a small grey box thats easy to miss. I haven't placed a bid in months.

I guess that you have not seen the new auction launch default setting, with the big BLUE "WATCH" button right in the action area.

...I don't for one minute think ebay is trying to trick anyone.

Who said anything about a conspiracy to trick folks into buying something?

All I stated was that the WATCH button could be placed in a better location.

And if you click the BIN button, again, you have to click AGAIN and confirm the purchase so your conspiracy theory is way off.

ebay policy regarding placing bids:

"If you’ve won an auction, or have bought the item using Buy It Now, you’ll need to contact the seller to ask if they’ll cancel your order.

If you couldn’t retract your bid, or the seller wouldn’t cancel your order, you’ll need to pay for the item. If you don’t pay, you may have limitations placed on your account or it may be suspended.

ebay policy regarding how to buy an item listed in a Buy-it-Now (fixed price) listing:

Purchasing items using Buy It Now

To purchase a Buy It Now item:
  1. Look for items with a Buy It Now price by clicking the Buy It Now tab on search results or browse pages.

2. Check the Buy It Now price of the item. This is the price you'll pay for the item. Be sure to check the shipping cost and any additional costs that might be listed in the item description to determine the total cost for the item.

3. To purchase the item immediately, click the Buy It Now button in the listing. To put the item in your eBay shopping cart to purchase later, click the Add to cart button.

Important: Items in your eBay shopping cart are still available to other buyers until you pay for them.

4. On the next page, click the Proceed to checkout button.

5. Review your purchase information, and then click the Confirm and pay button.

I guess it is not so difficult to accidentally hit the Buy-It-Now button; if you did not choose to put the item in your shopping cart, this takes you to confirm and pay. If somebody would have said this earlier, I would have reconsidered my position, but the blue WATCH button is designed and placed there by people who know what they are doing.

Marketers have retailers place the most desirable items at an adult's eye-level and kid's cereal is placed on the bottom shelf for a reason...strategy; ebay has their strategy too.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

It is clear that no deal is done until the bacon changes hands. bacon

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

You said bid button originally though not buy it now button.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

You said bid button originally though not buy it now button.

Is it coincidence, convenience or sneakiness for ebay to place the "WATCH" button so close to the "BID" button and similar buttons???

I was not going to list all of the possible buttons.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply