cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is cancelling a legitimate order, then relisting the same item for more money a reportable offense?

hi all, 

i made a purchase today with "buy it now", paid and had my order confirmed. within 10 minutes, the seller cancelled my order for no reason. i looked up the order and the seller claims there was an issue with my address. mind you, this is the same address i've been using for a long time and never had a problem with it. even japanese sellers have no issue. this set off my **bleep** alarm, so i looked at the listing again. the seller cancelled my order and relisted the exact same item for $1000.00 more than the price i had agreeded on.

this is bad faith dealing, and ebay should do something about it. i get that the seller has the right to sell or not sell, but once a deal is struck, it should stand. never mind that i was willing to pay extra on top of msrp for this item, but this scalper jacked the price up even more. i've lost no money, that's true, but i've gained some vitriol over this transaction. i want a way to warn other buyers about this seller, which is impossible because i can't leave feedback for the seller, since they haven't sold me anything. 

this is the kind of shenanigans that erode the trust buyers have with sellers on ebay, especially if it goes unpunished or unacknowledged. anyway, if anyone knows of a way i can warn others about this dirty seller, please let me know. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Is cancelling a legitimate order, then relisting the same item for more money a reportable offense?

I'm sorry. You shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

eBay can't force sellers to ship after getting paid, same as they can't force buyers to pay after winning.

eBay gives them a defecf when the seller cancels a transaction the buyer didn't request to cancel.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You need to REPORT the seller to give them the defect they DESERVE. They are trying to worm their way out of a defect by LYING about their buyer. I absolutely HATE these kinds of sellers.

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

First screen>the seller has violated one of Ebay's policies

Second screen>the seller doesn't want to complete the sale.

State in the comment box that the seller cancelled using the buyer address problem, then immediately relisted the item for more money. You paid in good faith, your address is correct and they had no reason to cancel the sale.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@killercalbear That's very unfortunate that seller did this to you. It's not correct and goes against policy on this platform. In the meantime you are allowed to leave appropriate feedback for the seller canceling and relisting the item at a higher price. Go to your purchase history and at the top underneath Orders click on show hidden items. Just make sure your feedback follows the protocols so that the seller doesn't get it removed. No name calling and don't write beware of seller or use all caps. Just state the truth and be done with this. Go find this item with another honest seller. 

I suggest something along these lines-- "Purchased item was canceled and relisted for higher amount." 

That's exactly what happened and says loads to any future buyers for this seller. They will most likely ask you to remove it but stick to your guns and teach them a lesson. Make sure you report this seller too. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

In the meantime you are allowed to leave appropriate feedback for the seller canceling and relisting the item at a higher price. Go to your purchase history and at the top underneath Orders click on show hidden items. Just make sure your feedback follows the protocols so that the seller doesn't get it removed. No name calling and don't write beware of seller or use all caps. Just state the truth and be done with this. Go find this item with another honest seller. 

I suggest something along these lines-- "Purchased item was canceled and relisted for higher amount." 

Actually, you cannot. Under hidden items there is no "leave feedback" button like there is under normal purchase history...

And it's an outrage. 😠

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

neugynhansen
Rising Star

I won an auction for a vantage Columbia record player model 1012G on October 09, 2021 with a minimum bidding price of $50.00 plus standard shipping of $57.22. I paid seller immediately with Paypal with receiving shipping address for several items received during  previous two weeks. On October 10, 2021 I sent a message requesting that seller take precaution packaging the item. The seller turned around and canceled my order without any attempt to response to my request  and claiming " Issue with buyer's shipping address".

It is so convenient and abusive for seller to claim shipping address and cancel a legally-won auction order.  Ebay ought to do some thing about it.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I do not get very many seller cancelled the order, but: When it occurs they usually are "out of stock" , then offer me something else in lieu of what I bought so that I  will refuse and they can trick me into telling them to cancel so it can be a "buyer requested" cancellation. I tell the seller to ship my original item in accordance with the sales terms. When they cancel anyway, they usually use "problem with buyers address" which is a plain old lie since I have had the exact address I use in ebay for 46 years now and never had a problem finding it, even drunk. I then file  refund request through MBG, give  a neg feedback, and tell ebay that the seller lied as well as including that info in the feedback.  Some of the lower volume dropshippers are no longer  on this platform due to honest buyer feedback. Stand by your position and neg them as well as report.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You're replying to a zombie thread DEAD since March.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Can't eBay suspend the seller's account until they complete the sale? Sure, eBay cannot physically force the seller to complete the sale, but there are much more severe indirect pressures eBay can apply.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

More people don't  pay than there are sellers that don't ship. What about them being suspended until they pay LOL?

eBay gives the seller a defect if the buyer didn't request a cancellation. Defects lead to higher selling fees and suspension if they cancel too many transactions.

If there's nothing wrong with your address buyers should let eBay know they used the address reason to avoid a defect. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

It's true that eBay can't force them to ship, but a buyer may be able to sue in them in small claims.    With exceptions (real estate, cars, intangibles) a binding contract has been been entered into between buyer and seller when a transaction is initiated through winning an auction or using 'Buy it Now' option.  The buyer is required to pay the agreed upon price, the seller is required to deliver the item advertised as advertised.   If the seller refuses to ship after the buyer wins the auction and then relists the item for more money the seller can be sued for any damages incurred by the buyer.   Example:  You offer an item for $1,000.  I bid, win and send the money.  You cancel the sale, refund my money and relist the item for higher price.   I go back to eBay, Craig's List, FB Market Place and purchase the same item of $1,500 from another seller.  I now have damages in the amount of $500 and I can sue you for that amount...and I'll win.  Problem is that I have to sue you in the jurisdiction where you are doing business.  If I'm in New York and you're in California, it's hardly worth the time/money to file a small claims complaint.  If we're both in the same county, you better believe I'm sending you a demand letter and filing if you don't respond.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply