cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Packing Material

In June 2019, I purchased some breakables on eBay.  The items arrived well-protected and well-packed, padded with balled-up pages of what I originally thought was a tax manual; I appreciated the seller’s great care in packing my purchase.  While I was flattening the pages so that I could put them together in the recycling bin, I noticed completed tax forms as well.  Since the names on the tax forms were not the name listed in the return address, I surmised that the seller was using printed tax forms for her/his clients as packing material.  As you might imagine, I was shocked as these forms included private information.  To protect these unsuspecting clients, I shredded all the pages and mixed them with food garbage to accelerate their decay.

While I had no problem with the pages of the manual as packing materials (great idea and great use for unwanted, used paper), I do have a problem with the use of tax forms containing private information being used as packing material.  I waited over a year to post this comment with my request to sellers on the eBay Community so that the seller would not feel singled-out if she/he read this post.  

My request to sellers:   please be careful not to use pages with private information as packing material as doing so could be problematic for yourselves or others. 

Just-Opened Box Containing Balled-Up PagesJust-Opened Box Containing Balled-Up PagesWell-Wrapped Items Inside BoxWell-Wrapped Items Inside BoxFlattened PagesFlattened PagesFlattened PagesFlattened Pages

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Interesting Packing Material

I think I would have told the seller about it so they would protect their clients privacy better

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I  agree, that is absolutely shocking. But I don't agree with your efforts to not make the seller feel "singled out." Of course he should have been called on this. Immediately!  In fact, I might have mailed the papers back to the people whose names and addresses were on the returns, so they could see firsthand how their trust had been violated.  Another buyer who gets this personal information might not be as honorable as you regarding what to do with this confidential information.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@msh062 and @nobody*s_perfect 

My subsequent communication with the seller is not the purpose of this post but rather my request to sellers to be careful of what they use as shipping material.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

So you don't think you should have spoken to the seller about it? Hmm makes me wonder what you did with that information...

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@msh062 wrote:

So you don't think you should have spoken to the seller about it? Hmm makes me wonder what you did with that information...

Well if you read the ops post, you won't need to wonder anymore.

The op shredded it..

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@msh062 wrote:

OP, in a second post, referred to "subsequent communication" with the seller, and I am sure that means that OP did contact the seller at the time.  I also think that the communication was satisfactory to the OP,  and that's why OP  waited to post this --  so the initial transaction would be inaccessible, to spare the seller further (possible) fallout.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

OP, in a second post, referred to "subsequent communication" with the seller, and I am sure that means that OP did contact the seller at the time.  I also think that the communication was satisfactory to the OP,  and that's why OP  waited to post this --  so the initial transaction would be inaccessible, to spare the seller further (possible) fallout.

You are exactly right.  I was satisfied with my communication with the seller, and I felt that posting my request at that time could cause the seller unnecessary hurt/fallout; as you may have noticed, some posting in these discussions can be unduly harsh.  Waiting was the best way to spare the seller and make my request to other sellers in order to protect folks in the future.

I appreciate your careful reading of the posts and your accurate assessment.  : )

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Sure they did...

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@msh062 wrote:

Sure they did...

Yes, in fact, I did shred all the pages, even those for the manual.  Then, as stated, I mixed the shredded pages with food waste to accelerate the decay of the shredded pages AND to make it impossible for ANYONE to read them.  I did what I would like someone to do me — protect the identity for those whose private information was included on those pages.  

I would hope that you would consider doing the same for someone else.  

I am disappointed that you would cast aspersions on me, someone who you do not know.  But, people tend to view the world through the lens of what they do.  

As demonstrated, my view — my lens — is to do for others what I would like others to do for me.  As stated, that is the purpose of this thread.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply