cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have the time, could you help me undestand? TIA

I can not figure out how this is possible....

I have been watching an auction (no BIN), a seven day auction ending tomorrow evening, yesterday there were three bids.
This morning I see the auction ended because the item was SOLD, and the ending price was the last bid.

Of course I have seen listings end because item was no longer available, or someone paid the BIN price, but not this way.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: If you have the time, could you help me undestand? TIA

Sellers can end auctions early to sell to the highest bidder. If the seller ended it due to the item breaking or whatever, they are charged fees for ending it early either way. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Seller can choose to end an auction as "selling to the highest bidder" . It is an option provided by eBay.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Sellers can end auctions early to sell to the highest bidder. If the seller ended it due to the item breaking or whatever, they are charged fees for ending it early either way. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the replies, I was not aware of it either, perhaps because I had never encountered that situation.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you and to Ebooksdiva, I didn't know that was possible, maybe because I never thought about selling to a highest bidder days before auction ends, when there were many watchers as the item was rare and well.... it was already out of my budget, so no upset here, LOL but obviously the seller had no clue of what they had.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@thomasm514 wrote:

Thank you and to Ebooksdiva, I didn't know that was possible, maybe because I never thought about selling to a highest bidder days before auction ends, when there were many watchers as the item was rare and well.... it was already out of my budget, so no upset here, LOL but obviously the seller had no clue of what they had.

Or it's possible the seller did more research, discovered what they had, and paid the fees to end the listing early to relist at a higher price. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@kathiec wrote: ... it's possible the seller did more research, discovered what they had, and paid the fees to end the listing early to relist at a higher price. 

If that was the seller's intent, then they messed up, since the item shows as Sold at the high bid price.  If they wanted to cancel this auction with no sale, and then relist, they should have canceled all the bids as part of ending the auction early.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply