cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I realized I got scammed with a counterfeit after 6 months

Hi all, I bought this Tumi backpack from a Japanese seller for a decent deal. Thinking that there is a very strict counterfeit policy would reduce the risks.  After using it for a few months, I realized there was a puncture on the bag. So I sent it to TUMI for the 5-year repair warranty, and they told me that this was a counterfeit... Now I have passed the window of Visa dispute and eBay guarantee, and the seller is now ghosting me. I have tried contacting eBay customer service at least 5 times and they are just deflicting responsibilities. Also, eBay is doing nothing to stop the seller from selling Tumi backpacks. I am out of options right now and stuck with this fake backpack. Any insights on what I could do? 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

You are past any refunds time limits, wouldnt do any good to call Ebay, the rules are the same for everyone. As far as the seller still listing items, it would be his word against yours since you never filed a case, you have no proof of anything, and Ebay is not going to remove him on your word alone.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I think you have assessed your situation very well. The most you can likely do is move forward with the knowledge that if you find a good deal, you do so at your own risk. In the end, it’s buyer beware…. You can’t rely on authenticity guarantees.

You have to look out for you in the retail world nowadays. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

So even if I have an email proof from Tumi saying that this is fake they still wouldn't step in... So the seller will just do whatever to scam as many buyers as possible? Ultimately, a fake is a fake regardless of the duration after the purchase..

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Understood, but demanding Ebay remove this seller on just your say so,regardless of a statement from the company, is not going to happen.Emails can be doctored, and Ebay would not even look at that. If enough buyers file snad cases against him, he would eventually be suspended from selling, but sounds like thats not happening.Thats the criteria for seller removal.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

If the listing is still visible on the site, you can report the listing itself.  You will find a report link in every listing.

When reporting the listing, select these options:
1. Copyright and trademark
2. Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer
3. Counterfeit, fake, or replica items
4. "Continue" to open Comment box to enter a short message, like:

"Bought item from this seller. Sent to TUMI manufacturer. TUMI said item is counterfeit."

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

There aren’t too many people who will disagree with you. There are scammers out there and the best that can often be done this far after the fact is to report them, and submit all of the evidence you can to expose them. With the sheer amount of sellers spanning the world, it’s hard ( impossible) to keep some from falling through the cracks. It just can’t be done.

Eventually,  some will ultimately be caught. Even though it’s of small consolation to you at n your case, you can still report this and possibly stop a repeat of this  fake item.

I can understand your frustration. I’ve been there. Over time, I’ve come to realize these things will happen and that i need to be doubly vigilant and choose carefully what and where to buy.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I am just frustrated with how eBay is not willing to compromise a bit of its profit and take on the risk burden of some fraudulent purchases to boost trust in buying on eBay. I don't think I will buy anything from eBay again honestly. 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

It isn't right but this is unfortunately a situation which is more likely to occur when you buy online, than if you buy in a store which is authorized by Tumi.

Your bag might be genuine.  If you submitted your Ebay invoice or sale information to Tumi, they may, like many other manufacturers tell you that the warranty does not apply because your item did not come from an authorized seller. The may say it may be counterfeit, it may be inauthentic or it is counterfeit, since you do not have appropriate proof of purchase. Tumi in the USA might also not accept the proof of purchase from a seller based in Japan who is authorized.

Unless someone knows how Tumi actually decides whether to refuse the warranty, one does not know if this is really counterfeit.

Your seller could be a thief, or simply a retail arbitrage practitioner and you might get the same messages.

Ebay would have covered you should you have discovered this problem in a timely manner. So would your credit card. As this time, nothing will happen because the whole truth is not available to Ebay.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I understand. For sure. But regardless, EBay scouring hundreds of thousands of sellers would require resources that far extend beyond their capabilities, it’s an impossible ask. 

They do what they can, and your input will help. But in the end, the retail world is an ocean of sharks, so make sure your own canoe  has no holes going forward. They are not going to drain the sea to look for a few goldfish. 

Its more out of their control than it is for buyers to be mindful.

I am genuinely sorry you were taken. Name brand items being sold by unauthorized sellers will never be safely guaranteed  transactions.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@jusch-1805 wrote:

I am just frustrated with how eBay is not willing to compromise a bit of its profit and take on the risk burden of some fraudulent purchases to boost trust in buying on eBay. I don't think I will buy anything from eBay again honestly. 

What you aren't understanding is that Ebay doesn't have to "compromise a bit of its profit and take on the risk burden of some fraudulent purchases to boost trust in buying on eBay" because they DO do that in having a MBG. Had you verified authenticity within the 30-day timeframe, you would have gotten a 100% refund. 

Although Ebay has a policy that disallows the sale of counterfeit goods, on a site the size of ebay, it's impossible to vet every item or to have expertise in every brand, style, item, etc. So buyers can't blindly trust sellers. 

Althouugh I've never known Tumi to be faked, I'll take you at your word.  But as pointed out by @tobaccocardyahoo , it's very possible (and has happened with other companies) that Tumi doesn't like ebay and doesn't like that their items are being resold by random sellers and they lie to clients claiming an item is fake when in fact it's not. 

Because I know and sell Coach, I can attest that Coach doesn't like their items being resold and knowingly tell people who come into their stores with ebay/etsy/poshmark purchases that their items are fake when in many cases the items are not fake. 

In fact, this is a true story in which Ebay suspended a seller following Coach's lawsuit against a former employee for selling fakes when in fact, the items were absolutely authentic and purchased from Coach. Following the ex-employee's own counterattack against Coach, her ebay account was reinstated. 

https://www.intellectualpropertynews.com/trademark-news/coach-inc-sues-former-employee-for-trademark...

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

That is an interesting perspective!

Thanks,

Justin 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

It appears to me that the 3rd-party  authentication service that eBay uses needs to be addressed. I have brought this to a eBay’s attention today, and will be filing a formal letter with corporate, regarding my own personal matter as a seller. There is a serious problem that this service cannot differentiate between what is authentic and what is not, and clearly has no idea what they are doing. 

As a seller, my business is built on trust. Not only do I sell on eBay, but I buy as well, and also took ease thinking I could trust their authentication provider- both for buying and selling. For someone who deals with luxury goods on a daily basis, there are certain things that we look for as experienced resellers such as serial numbers and other distinguishing features, and after a Gucci bag was returned back to me for not “looking “ real, it was clear to me that they have no idea what they are doing whatsoever. 

I can assure you that I am  taking this matter to the highest level of eBay’s corporate headquarters, given the severity in nature of the problem. I truly appreciate you voicing your experience because it is important for your story to be heard.. Their authentication service is rejecting genuine items with verifiable manufacturer’s serial numbers and approving fake replicas and that is a problem. They are supposed to be the experts in this area, and this problem is hurting buyers and sellers alike and needs to be addressed in order for eBay to maintain their trustworthy reputation

I am so sorry that you went through this, I am hoping that there will be some changes made in the near future, and that eBay can work with a competent authenticator that is an expert and knows what they are doing to avoid future these mistakes in the future. 

There are people that are willing to spend thousands of dollars on luxury items as assets  and looking at it to determine whether it’s real or not, is just simply not enough and any expert would know that. I am also really disappointed because my business reputation has been tainted.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

The OP said nothing about ebays 3rd party authentication program.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Who is the seller (eBay name)?
I’m looking for a Tumi bag and I want to avoid them.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply