cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep reporting fake perfumes - eBay says "no violation"

One of my hobbies is perfumes. I'm not an expert but I know a reasonable amount about the subject. Sometimes I spot clear fakes on eBay and report them, explaining why I know they are fake. For example the latest one had a mistake in the brand's logo. 

Every single time eBay says "We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy.  This determination was made by a customer service agent."

Is there anything I can do about this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

If you are not a certified expert in perfumes,one report on just your say so is not enough to have the listings removed.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@soft6o6,

You have posted your concern on ebay's U.S. based site's community (ebay.com)  How the reporting system works on the U.K. based site may differ from ours. So you might get better information by using the link below to post your concern on your home site's community.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/

In general the answer from bonjourami, is correct. eBay cannot use one report from basically "strangers" who may or may not have the expertise to make a judgement call. They also cannot afford to have their own experts in each category/sub category, who could verify a reported item.

Unfortunately, some categories of listings are rife with counterfeit or fake items, so one has to educate themselves so they do not get taken in by a scam.

eBay does have a program in the U.S. called the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program that the Mfrs. of items can join, that allows them to get counterfeited listings removed. It may have a different name on the U.K. site.  You can try getting in touch with the designer, Mfr. of the perfume to let them know about the fake items bearing their name.

You also have the option of leaving appropriate feedback for the seller.  Keep your comment professional, do not call the seller names, or mention having to involve ebay or a payment service in any way. Just stick to the facts of the transaction.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I have reported so many times, they do nothing about it. I wrote a long post about identifying fake perfumes, and wish more people would report them, but many people don’t even know the difference. I do feel your frustration. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If the Ebay bot does not say it is counterfeit, Ebay does not think it is counterfeit. If the bot thought it was counterfeit, you would not have to report it.

Were you to buy it and open a Not As Described claim, it might eventually lead to some action.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply