cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got scammed for $700 by one of your customers Service representative

Service representative asked me to go buy a google play card for 200 then I get in the car give them the numbers on the card they tell me go get another 200 card they they hug up when they said do it again I snapped they hug up so I call back takes to a supervisor he assured me my money will be one my card just go get another card but eBay this time to I did sent me to tech support they said it will be on there in 15mins I call back phone not in service so I call back now it’s a manger he tells me to just got put 100 on a eBay card with I did before I can leave out the parking lot he asking me I need to put another 100 on a car now I only called in the first place cause I ordered some shoes one eBay and my shoes was delivered to New York and I live in Illinois I tell the man after all this ion even want the shoes just give me the refund off the shoes he tell me he can’t unless I send another 100 can I please get some help to get my money back please 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

What phone number did you call, and where exactly did you get it?

If you got that phone number from a google ad, it is very likely a scam ad pointing to a free web site designed to lure in victims. I have seen similar ads, and reported many of them to google, but the scammers keep putting them up faster than google can take them down.

To find a contact phone number for eBay go to ebay.com directly rather than searching through a search engine and clicking on an ad.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

No one at eBay would ever ask you to purchase a gift card for service -- that is something that only scammers do.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

eBay does NOT ask for gift cards, you were talking to a scammer in another Country.  Once you give them the numbers they are gone.    Google gift card scams and NEVER pay anyone with gift cards.

https://reportfraud.ftc.gov

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

That was not an eBay rep you were talking to.

You know when a scammer sees how easily they scammed you they go back to you to try to keep tricking you out of more money. You never give anyone redemption codes by phone or email.  You should google eBay Gift Card FAQS.

You do not call eBay because shoes you ordered arrived in a different state. You open a not received case in the Resolution Center. what was the purpose of buying a gift card when you were calling a fake number about shoes you didn't get?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

If you believe that you or someone you know was scammed into buying eBay Gift Cards, visit our gift card page to contact customer service and find additional information related to gift card scams.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

You were not talking to an eBay representative. I'm hoping this is a joke post and that no one was actually gullible enough to do this multiple times.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

That was not anyone with ebay.  It was a liar and a thief that said they were. Ebay does not work that way.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@jiwh-2316 wrote:

...can I please get some help to get my money back please 

Unfortunately, you cannot get any help from eBay because eBay was not involved in this in any way, shape, or form.  You were never in contact with eBay.  You were completely scammed by someone impersonating an eBay representative.

Remember:  GIFT cards are called that because you buy them to given them as gifts to give to friends or family.  They are not a form of payment.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but you'll just have to take it as a lesson learned the hard way.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

To be fair, 6 ebay employees did get charged and fired for cyber stalking.

perhaps we have a rouge ebay employee.

Even with that being said, you are correct that ebay gift cards are never required to be used in any situation.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@jiwh-2316how did the scammer contact you? Or did you call them?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Why would you use Google Play cards to pay for something on eBay?

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@nocoolnamejane wrote:

Why would you use Google Play cards to pay for something on eBay?

Well, some people pay the IRS with iTunes cards...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Scammers can always find the naive and gullible.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply