cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got scammed and eBay helped the scammer () succeed.

Basics of what happened:
  • I bought headphones on eBay. The headphones were fakes which was very obvious once I received the package.
  • I went out of the country and saw that I wouldn't be back before the return window closed, so I asked eBay for a return window extension, which they granted.
  • Meanwhile, the seller told me two things. (1) Yes the item is fake, and (2) he would refund me and that I don't even have to send the item back. 
  • Nevertheless, it's a handful of days before my return window extension closes and I haven't gotten a refund from the seller so I'm preparing to send it back. The seller keeps telling me to wait, hold on another day or two, he's been busy but is going to send my refund ASAP. I don't think much of it since I have like a week left on my extended return window.
  • Then suddenly I'm surprised to see the seller opened and closed a case, locking in my missed my return window deadline. Apparently, I can no longer return the item because the return window is closed. But my return window extension is 5 days in the future, so that doesn't make any sense.
  • Ebay literally told me in a support transcript that my return window would be open until a certain date in the future. But it appears that although this was promised, it's not reality. I found out from speaking with support agents that the Ebay support agent was wrong when he said he extended my return window.
  • In fact, the seller was waiting for the original return window to end so he could close the case and take my money. He actively deceived me so that I would end up stuck paying full price for a counterfeit fraud item.

I have brought this up to the support agents on chat and over the phone and they agree the seller scammed/deceived me say there's nothing they can do:

I have done everything I can from my end. I have submitted reports to eBay about this seller. I have spoken with agents on the phone and over chat. All agents agree that I was given the incorrect information about my return window extension by eBay, that this seller scammed me and violated eBay policy by deceiving me, and that I deserve a refund or the ability to return the item. Nevertheless, there's apparently no way for eBay to give me a refund or force the seller to give me a refund. I've been told to continue contacting the seller asking for a refund, but they will never respond. I've been a customer of eBay since 2005 and this has been the worst experience I've ever had.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Ive never heard of Ebay extending the return wiindow,ever... you were given incorrect information by the csr, which is par for the course.You have six months at Paypal to file a case, or your cc, good luck.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I second @bonjourami. There are no extensions, but you have other recourses. Use one and good luck.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I don't want to do a credit card chargeback for fraud because I don't want my eBay account to get suspended. Is that not a concern?

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I also want to do everything I can to escalate against this seller because they literally led me into a scam as recorded in our chat. Beyond submitting a complaint/report, what else can I do?

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@br.rosfam wrote:

I don't want to do a credit card chargeback for fraud because I don't want my eBay account to get suspended. Is that not a concern?

Only if you weren't actually defrauded.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I agree with both replies here below me.

Just go online and file a "dispute" with your debit or credit card. They usually don't ask a lot of information. This is as a last resort and normally you can do one dispute a month as a courtesy with the banking institution of any and all disputes including Doordash, Uber, Amazon, etc. on the said card.

Here's the funny side. I think I bought the same earphone pair. I got over it...did nothing...and bought real Apple earphones from an Apple dealer. 

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@br.rosfam wrote:

I also want to do everything I can to escalate against this seller because they literally led me into a scam as recorded in our chat. Beyond submitting a complaint/report, what else can I do?

File that chargeback.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Paypal, if you used it, allows six months from PAYMENT for a Not As Described claim. Unfortunately, you will be required to pay for a Return Shipping Label.

If you didn't use PP, you may be able to start a credit card chargeback. Policies differ from card to card, but card companies are pretty good about refunds.  The deadline and the return requirements are the unknowns here.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

normally you can do one dispute a month as a courtesy with the banking institution of any and all disputes including Doordash, Uber, Amazon, etc. on the said card.

There may be random cards where this true, but it's far from "normal". I was a VP at one of the largest US card issuers, and I can assure you that any cardholder there who does a dispute each month will soon find their account closed. So it's very bad advice to be giving.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

This item, brand new cost around $170, refurbished about half priced. $35 is low, even for used earbuds. eBay csr's are known for telling you what you want to hear in order to get you off the phone. They are not very reliable. As for compromising your eBay account if you file a chargeback, it won't be affected, so don't worry about it, go ahead and proceed with it. Too bad that the timing was off for you as you were out of the country, but chargeback is your only recourse. 

Let this be a lesson for you to be extra careful with your purchases, as well as your sellers. The refund process from a seller side takes less than a minute, so the seller was obviously stalling to the last moment, I presume you may have mentioned that you were out of the country, and the case in sellers favor. You should be more protective of your property & money. 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@br.rosfam wrote:

A credit card chargeback would absolutely escalate against this seller, which is exactly what you're wanting.

And a single chargeback would have negligible effect @br.rosfam if any at all on your eBay account.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I will comment on the dates @br.rosfam .

"Returns accepted through Sept 29" does not mean that was the window for your open return request. That means Sept 29 is the end of the 30 day window to open a return request. But once you open the return request the Sept 29 date is no longer relevant and you instead have to go by the date shown on the return details.

Next time don't open a return request preemptively if you're traveling and cannot mail back the item.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Since you missed the deadline for opening an item not as described case with eBay, your only options now are with Paypal, if that's how you paid, or a chargeback on your credit card.

No, getting your eBay account is NOT a concern.  You are now handling this outside of eBay if you follow the above instructions.  Even if you had managed to handle this with eBay's MBG, you would not have had your account suspended.  Why would you think that, just curious? 

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

The seller may have led you into a scam in your mind, but eBay CS did not help by telling you that the deadline for returning your item would be extended and you contributed to this by not reading or understanding the MBG.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply