cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am the victim of a scam involving Baldur's gate 3 collector's edition listed as "digital content"

A month ago there was an auction from a seller in Italy regarding the collector's edition of the game Baldur's gate 3, which involves physical goodies, a box and a statue.

The listing clearly stated no digital content or game codes would be sold, as those were already used.

The seller () had 0 feedback, and a new account, so I figured they were a new seller, trying to make a profit by selling this popular game's box of physical goodies and statue.

After winning the auction, and waiting a couple of weeks, they answered my inquiry regarding when they would ship, by saying they were on a trip and would ship the item "next week". Over a month passed (as did the LATEST delivery date given by ebay) and the seller stopped replying, and has sent me nothing.

After opening a case, Ebay told me I was not covered. I contacted support and an awful Ebay representative replied, who kept telling me the seller had listed it under the digital content category, and thus, I was not covered by money back guarantee, despite being told repeatedly there was no digital content and it involved physical items. I am now holding my breath, opening a case on paypal.

After over 6 years of buying on Ebay, this is a horrible experience, and the unwillingness of the representatives to address the issue and help is simply baffling and outrageous! 

I advise everyone to extend the highest caution when dealing with scammers on Ebay, and Ebay from now on.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I am the victim of a scam involving Baldur's gate 3 collector's edition listed as "digital content"

If you paid by credit card, contact your card company. If not, file with the payment service you used. Not as much protection as a credit card however.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@petroruby wrote:

A month ago there was an auction from a seller in Italy regarding the collector's edition of the game Baldur's gate 3, which involves physical goodies, a box and a statue.

The listing clearly stated no digital content or game codes would be sold, as those were already used.

The seller (https://www.ebay.com/usr/m.riegohad 0 feedback, and a new account, so I figured they were a new seller, trying to make a profit by selling this popular game's box of physical goodies and statue.

After winning the auction, and waiting a couple of weeks, they answered my inquiry regarding when they would ship, by saying they were on a trip and would ship the item "next week". Over a month passed (as did the LATEST delivery date given by ebay) and the seller stopped replying, and has sent me nothing.

After opening a case, Ebay told me I was not covered. I contacted support and an awful Ebay representative replied, who kept telling me the seller had listed it under the digital content category, and thus, I was not covered by money back guarantee, despite being told repeatedly there was no digital content and it involved physical items. I am now holding my breath, opening a case on paypal.

After over 6 years of buying on Ebay, this is a horrible experience, and the unwillingness of the representatives to address the issue and help is simply baffling and outrageous! 

I advise everyone to extend the highest caution when dealing with scammers on Ebay, and Ebay from now on.

For some reason ebay allows this type of seller to scam the buyer by using the wrong category as a loophole.  Sad that the customer service rep could read the entire listing and still side with the seller is ebay's way of encouraging more sellers to do this because they are getting away with it.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

PP offers buyer protection on digital items.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

For some reason ebay allows this type of seller to scam the buyer by using the wrong category as a loophole.

@janet9988 

While what you said is correct, this listing appears to be in the correct category.  Others of the same title have Money Back Guarantee dog badge, and are listed in the same category as this one. .  I do know that often such wares are listed in the correct category AND also in another that has no MBG.  Using a PC, we could see both categories but mobile users could only see one.  

I just checked using a PC and there is only one category listed.  Maybe the second was removed from view by PC users, too.  

Listed in category:

Electronics>Video Games & Consoles>Video Games

Taking a look at just a few, the one's with no MBG seem to be by new Zero FB sellers or low feedback accounts that have been dormant a year or more. 

I suspect an additional category was used to make the MBG go away, as it does not seem to be related to digital content.   

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

had listed it under the digital content category

@petroruby 

Because you are in Greece, I don't know how useful this information is going to be for you.   As  @janet9988 suggested in her post, and I discussed again in my previous one, the "incorrect category scam" is not new.  Unfortunately, the regular customer service available to regular users here in the US is outsourced to call centers in other countries and most of the time they are totally  useless in situations such as this.  They are powerless to do any real investigating, much less over ride any automatic denial made by some eBay BOT.  

Again, it has been going on for quite a while.  Mostly it is popular desirable items offered by new sellers or hijacked IDs at a lower than going price.  I strongly feel that the listing you used was also listed in a "digital content" category as a second category that was not displayed for some reason.  Choosing such as a second category removes the ability of a buyer to file ANY claim.  In general video games are products and covered by the Money Back Guarantee. 

When this happens in the US, most often we have to contact eBay through one of their social media portals.  Either by using the blue MESSAGE button on this page: 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

OR

https://twitter.com/askebay

This feature allows us to contact eBay employees that actually understand the problem AND have the authority to act on your behalf.   If you can make use of this, I hope it works.  If not, there may be something similar to help users in the EU, and you can ask there as well. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@se_230277,

You have posted to an older topic, whose author had a different problem, than the one you posted, so it is not likely to be seen by many. You can go back and start your own topic, but I wouldn't advise it.

You wrote about an item where ebay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG)  protections ended 30 days after you received the shocks. You do not say who installed them, but if it was your mechanic who doesn't do suspension work, he may not have installed them properly, and No manufacturer will cover their shocks after a year of use.

Anyone with an ounce of sense and mechanical knowledge would not buy low cost, unbranded auto parts from China based sellers to have installed by a 3rd party. 

FYI.  eBay is a U.S. based company,  and like many others they do have item listed by Chinese sellers.  If you do not want to buy from chinese sellers, check each seller's feedback profile and read their listings carefully before buying from them, there are usually indications on profiles and listings that will tell you if a seller is China based or not. Never buy from sellers who use U.S. flag symbols and state they are U.S. sellers. Real American sellers do not do that, but the chinese ones do.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Sorry to tell you bro but I think you got scammed.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Zuma_the_frog.png

Message 9 of 9
latest reply