cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I respond to a misleading purchase?

Okay. I haven't really had any issues on eBay yet, but I was wondering how I should respond to this problem.

I recently ordered a game and art book from somebody. The picture that was given showed the game and the cover of the book, which looked immaculate. However, when it arrived today, it seems that the picture was misleading. The game looked exactly as the picture showed, but the back of the book (Which also was a detailed picture) had crayon drawn on the back.

I'm pretty neurotic about my books being in good condition, and I might not have bought the book if I saw the condition of the other side. What should I do in this situation? Am I wrong about this being an issue?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The damage should have been noted and photographed. What you do now depends on your needs. You can return it or perhaps ask for a partial refund. What is the seller’s return policy?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The seller had a picture of the back of the book with crayon scribblings? Did he mention that in the description?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

They didn’t have the picture of the back with the crayon drawing. Only the clean cover.

And it wasn’t in the description.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The damage should have been noted and photographed. What you do now depends on your needs. You can return it or perhaps ask for a partial refund. What is the seller’s return policy?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I'd probably give you the same answers you received on your Reddit post.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for the kind and detailed response. 
I’ll make sure to take your advice in the future to never dare use another website outside of this one. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

This sounds like a toy for your kids to play with. While the seller should have mentioned this and included pictures. If the game and book can still be used you may want to let it go. If you file a claim the seller will probably want the item to be returned and you will still need to find the items elsewhere.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for the advice.

Based on what you said, I emailed the seller, who was unaware of the damage. I was given a partial discount, which was very kind of him. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You're welcome.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

You are welcome. So glad it worked out to your satisfaction. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply