cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off automatic payment to sellers that accept my best offer?

I would like to choose how I pay a seller instead of an automatic payment.

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

@welovewva 

Once eBay puts your BUYER ID into the forced program, there is nothing to be done unless the seller turns off the "default to yes" that eBay placed on their account preferences for managing buyers.   The latest also includes the upfront requirement in order to BID.  

I simply use another ID that has not been forced yet.  

Though this is suppose to cut down on non-payers, it actually makes more money for eBay as opposed to simply dispensing with those that don't pay. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

Thank you! I just finished talking to eBay's support and got the same answer. What a crock!

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Though this is suppose to cut down on non-payers, it actually makes more money for eBay as opposed to simply dispensing with those that don't pay. 

???

How does this 'option' make ebay more money? I am curious as to the thought process on this....

Thank You

To the original OP: @welovewva 

You can Contact the Seller and request they remove the option prior to the offer. They may not know it is 'on'

and, I 'think' they can add your username to an exemption list...(although I am not positive on that)

I do not activate this option, but I have read that the seller can do this....

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

I don't know why anyone would 'turn it off' and am surprised it's even an option. It's like haggling at the Swap Meet; 
"I want $20"

"Will you take $10"

"yes"

then the offer-er just walks off. 

THAT is a crock. 

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

How does this 'option' make ebay more money? I am curious as to the thought process on this....

@monica-sells 

It eliminates combining multiple listings into ONE order with combined shipping.  All of these auction wins or offers accepted  become separate transactions, with all fees assessed for both buyers and sellers. 

If I won ten of your auctions, you would be assessed the .30 cent fee ten times  ($3) instead of once by combining my wins into one shipment.   If shipping for each of those items was $5 each, I , as the buyer would be paying $50 for shipping for the ten items that could logically be shipped together for $8 dollars or less, tax on that, and the seller would be paying fees on that as well.  These will require separate shipping and tracking numbers, so that increases eBay's "take", as all these items are immediately paid for and fees assessed. 

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

I don't know why anyone would 'turn it off' 

@stainlessenginecovers 

Some sellers rely on multiple sales to the same buyer.  I am a buyer that buys multiples from the same seller and may bid on nine or ten auctions from the same seller per week.  I am the buyer that will use the BIN/Make offer feature to make offers on many of the seller's items only a dollar less than the asking price simply to make a combined order and save on shipping for a lot of low weight items.  

It is not uncommon for me to drop a couple of hundred dollars at a time for multiple products.  And SURPRISE....I ALWAYS PAY PROMPTLY and have done so for over twenty five years.  

If you never get multiple offers or bids  and don't want any  keep the block in place.  No telling how many buyers are turned away simply because they find the process offensive and refuse to play at all. 

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

What ebay does will almost always be self serving.

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

OK..makes sense...

If they can add the ability to "combine" than what would the resistance be, besides personal (seller) preference?

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

@welovewva wrote:

I would like to choose how I pay a seller instead of an automatic payment. 

Give eBay an inadequate credit card as your defunct default payment method and

- when the the seller accepts your offer, your automatic payment will fail

- and you'll have to choose how to pay, like normal again. 

@lickapickel wrote:

1. eBay sent me multiple messages telling me that my payment for an offer had failed and to try again. 

2. I called eBay and was told that eBay tried to take the payment from the credit card that I chose to be used for offers and auctions. 

3. The payment that I sent the next day did go through, but that isn't the point here. 

Like that, @welovewva.

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

If they can add the ability to "combine" than what would the resistance be

@monica-sells 

One of the big CLAIMS eBay made when pushing the Managed Payments thing was that BUYERS had so many more choices to pay.  This system severely restricts that as if it wasn't even true in the first place. and just one more of eBay's typical HOT AIR proclamations. 

Pick your payment source in order to bid?  Will you remember to change it when needed? Many people simply don't trust eBay to store payment information at all.  Sellers were forced in order to sell, buyers don't care for being forced.  

Buyers cannot use spendable funds, use seller coupons or promotions, no using eBay coupons, no GooglePay, no ApplePay, PayPal credit, or PayPal Pay in 4.   

Instead of getting rid of non-payers, eBay pushes this bad buyer experience en masse for those that have been impeccable and timely PAYERS for years.  It doesn't seem like a straight forward logical solution unless you.....

Follow the money. 

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

well i won't place a bit offer any more until they change the automatic  payment!!

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

To ebay the 3 day law!

If you receive a notification from eBay that the buyer has requested to cancel the order, you'll have 3 days to accept or decline the request. If you don't respond within the 3 calendar days, we'll close the buyer's cancellation request. If the buyer hasn't paid, then the order will be canceled automatically.

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

Everyone needs to know this!!!!
@ittybitnot wrote:

@welovewva 

Once eBay puts your BUYER ID into the forced program, there is nothing to be done unless the seller turns off the "default to yes" that eBay placed on their account preferences for managing buyers.   The latest also includes the upfront requirement in order to BID.  

I simply use another ID that has not been forced yet.  

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

I want to send to a different address, but not able to choose the address since eBay automatically takes the money with Best Offer.  Is there anyway to change that?

Message 15 of 59
latest reply