cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW CAN THIS BE LEGAL?

I left a message earlier saying that eBay sent me multiple messages telling me that my payment for an offer had failed and to try again. I got these messages the day before I even made the payment! I called eBay and was told that eBay tried to take the payment from the credit card that I chose to be used for offers and auctions. I NEVER chose a card for this purpose! Ebay automatically assigned one of my three credit cards to be used for this. I didn't know it, I never received a message telling me to do so. When I made the offer, I got a message telling me that it had been sent and that a reply would be coming. I wasn't asked to choose a payment method before sending the offer either.

The payment that I sent the next day did go through, but that isn't the point here. I have three credit cards. Like many buyers, I am on a fixed retirement income, so I want to choose WHICH payment method to use, that is my right. I don't want eBay to choose a method without my involvement. Now, before I make an offer, I will have to go into my eBay account and change the offer payment method to the one that I want, and THEN make the offer, after which eBay will take the payment from the designated method. Ebay explained to me that it wants a stated payment method to be used for offers and auctions "before the fact" because some buyers don't pay at all. I get this, but eBay needs to tell buyers that they have to choose a payment method BEFORE making an offer or bid, or at least provide a PROMPT to choose a payment method, when a buyer is trying to do bid or send an offer. I got n such prompt and I had no idea that one of my credit cards had been assigned to "offers and bids". This is why I got the three "payment problem" messages. Ebay tried three times to charge a credit card that had insufficient funds.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

HOW CAN THIS BE LEGAL?

You did agree to it you just didn't notice it.  When you made the offer is when it would have shown the agreement to the payment source being charged if the offer is accepted. Since you wouldn't be on the lookout for that message you breezed past it  doing the offer as usual.  You can. Select different methods when making an offer so next time you make an offer look for where you can select which method is charged if accepted 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 2
latest reply