cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Offers For Things I Don't Want . . . .

I'm getting offers on My eBay page for things I have no interest in buying.  They are not on my watchlist, and I do understand and appreciate getting reduced price offers for items on that list.  Apparently what is happening is that I view certain items, that are like items I wish to sell, and eBay is assuming I am interested in buying those items, when I have no interest whatsoever.  On top of that, I can't delete the offers for the unwanted items until after so much time.  It's ridiculous.  The current My eBay page is a mess!  Is there any way to re-arrange the page, so I can put what I want at the top of it, instead of having to click in the tabs on the left?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Getting Offers For Things I Don't Want . . . .

If it was something I was watching (I don't watch anything), it wouldn't be to bad, but just looking at a listing and receiving offers is cray.

I look at a lot of different listings every day, but that doesn't mean I want to buy them, so why send me an offer?

I like it when I report a listing, then a few minutes later get an offer on the item.

I opted out of offers because of the carp.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

There is a setting in My eBay: Account: Communication Preferences to opt in/out of "Offers from sellers."   Unfortunately it covers ALL types of offers from sellers (Second Chance Offers, Watch List offers, etc.; I don't know about counteroffers to your Best Offers) rather than just the recent addition of "I clicked through to the listing for whatever reason".   

Also I am told that it only stops the offers from going to email and you might still get a notice on the website/app, but I have doubts about that (I know that those who opt out are removed from the list of losing bidders that the seller can send an SCO to).

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@jellybean922 wrote:

Apparently what is happening is that I view certain items

Yep.

Unless you opt out you will continue to get offers.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@woodland_gnome wrote:

There is a setting in My eBay: Account: Communication Preferences to opt in/out of "Offers from sellers." 

Also I am told that it only stops the offers from going to email and you might still get a notice on the website/app, but I have doubts about that.

Hi @woodland_gnome . This account is my posting ID and I view a lot of listings to help buyers and sellers - things I'm not interested in purchasing. I have my communication preferences set so I do not receive offers to buyers. That works to keep my email clean. On the eBay website, the notification bell will light up when a seller sends an offer despite that setting. That doesn't bother me as long as I'm not getting the emails.

My advice to @jellybean922 is:

- If you don't want to receive any email offers at all, change your communication preferences in your account settings.

- If you want to receive offers for items on your watch list, but you don't want to receive email offers about items you've viewed but didn't add to your list, then change your browsing habits. You can view listings in a private browser tab that's not logged in to your eBay account, or a different browser that's not logged in. When there's an item you want to add to your watch list just copy the URL over to the browser that's logged in. If you're browsing on the app then either turn off all offer emails, log out when browsing, or delete the emails as they come in.

A lot of buyers would like the communication preferences to be more discerning between views and watch list, but eBay does not make that option available. In fact, they've consolidated a lot of the comm preferences the past few years to give buyers and sellers less choice.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I've been very successful at ignoring those, but maybe I don't get as many as you do.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

This is absolutely stupid feature from eBay. Of course I want offers from items I've saved. Of course I don't want offers from items I briefly looked at.

e.g. I'm looking at Mac Minis and Mac Studios right now, seeing how much they sell for and keeping an eye out for potential bargains. Because of this, I accidently clicked on a few people selling just the empty boxes for these products, lo and behold, I got three different seller offers for Mac Mini and Mac Studio empty boxes. 

PLEASE ALLOW US TO TURN OFF OFFERS FROM PRODUCTS WE ONLY LOOKED AT.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Yeah, but I don't want to opt out, because I want offers for things on my watchlist.  I accepted an offer just a few days ago. If you report an item, you get an offer to buy it???

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for your detailed suggestion, but I am not going to change my browsing habits to correct the problem.  Ebay is the one who needs to change what they are doing, not me.  It's nothing more than a heavy-handed way to try to get more sales.  It's also stupid.  Yeah, like I really want to buy an item just like the one I'm trying to get rid of!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

It's not that I get a lot.  It's that they are useless and senseless.  In addition, they are at the top of My eBay page and I can't delete them until the offer expires.  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I don't think such offers should be sent in the first place.  Or you should have to turn on something to get them, not turn off.    

Message 11 of 11
latest reply