cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent seller

This is new to me. I've never seen it. I bought from a seller. They provided me with a UPS tracking number. I waited for delivery. The UPS tracking number says it was delivered. After hours of research I found out it was delivered to my city and state but was never intended for me. I had ordered a humidifier. This tracking number was for something from DELL going to a business in my city. It was not from my seller. Does this hacker work for UPS? 
I filed a claim and it was promptly declined by Ebay. I have also filed a claim with Paypal. As we all know, we can't talk to anyone at either place. Any suggestions as to my next move?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Fraudulent seller

Contact UPS with the tracking number.  Ask that they use their GPS to confirm that the package was NOT delivered to your address.  Get that on a UPS letterhead and upload with your message to ebay, since there is no phone support due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Please contact USPS too. Sometimes they will deliver to your local Post Office since they are large item and shipped with SmartPost.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@gallery408 wrote:

Please contact USPS too. Sometimes they will deliver to your local Post Office since they are large item and shipped with SmartPost.

SmartPost is a Fed Ex service, not UPS.

And if UPS says it's delivered, it was delivered to the destination(obviously not the OP though). It's yet anther common scam to 'buy' a used tracking number to the zip code.

Problem now is that the OP opened a case in PP, which takes ebay out of the picture now. The OP needs to do all of this through paypal now(GPS of the delivery location, etc.).

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your answer, however, I did confirm with UPS that the tracking number provided did go elsewhere and was shipped from elsewhere. I have told both ebay and PP this. Ebay is really getting on my last nerve by simply closing the claim without rebuttal. I am working with my bank and PP and if necessary the Attorney General. I've spent days upon days on this. Being a member for over 20 years seems to hold no regard with ebay. Having over 5K positive feedback holds no regard with ebay. Can you tell I am getting frazzled?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If you opened the PP claim while the ebay claim was still open, the ebay claim would have been closed automatically.

The steps are ebay, paypal, CC chargeback.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

scammers are using eBay's delivered policy to win cases so they get tracking numbers off the web. You will need to actually talk to a CS person with your information as all the robots see is delivered case closed.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

mrwumper
Adventurer

I've also been on eBay for over 20 years and this is new to me as well. I think the scammers have realized that no one is manning the ship at the moment and are coming out in force. See my recent post in these forums entitled:

"Veteran eBayer Here & Newest Victim of the "Zip Code" Scam

Basically, I am going through the exact same thing as you. The seller in my case appears to have made out with nearly $40,000 in fraudulent sales in recent weeks! If all it takes is shipping a fake item to a fake address to successfully run a scam like this on eBay—and for "bank robbery sums" of cash as the return on investment—then I can't imagine why criminals *wouldn't* take advantage of it. It's very disturbing.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

"... I have also filed a claim with Paypal. As we all know, we can't talk to anyone at either place. Any suggestions as to my next move?"

The next move is to wait for PP to make a ruling. Be sure to submit the UPS information in the case, that can clinch the deal for you if you provide proof the item was delivered elsewhere. If PP doesn't find for you, then contact your credit card company to initiate a charge-back. That's if you used a credit card to remit. If not, then appeal the decision with eBay or PP.  (Not both at the same time.) I am assuming you opened an Item Not Received case?

Below are links to more info on appealing a ruling. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

https://help.grailed.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038225554-My-PayPal-case-was-not-decided-in-my-favor-h...

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Looks like a ton of us got caught up with this joker. My claim, and I'm sure everyone else was denied as the item was "delivered".  I will check out the links you gave me and than k you.
https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/rldates5?filter=feedback_page:All&_trksid=p2545226.m2531....

Message 10 of 10
latest reply