cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Ebay Do Anything About MIA Sellers?

I made an offer on an item on which the seller provided a “Best Offer” button. No response. So I sent seller a message inquiring whether they got the offer. No response. So I then look at their “newly listed” items for sale, and the seller hasn’t listed anything for sale since February. No current feedback received or left either. But they currently have about 240 items listed for sale. Does Ebay do anything about situations like this? Best way to make such an inquiry? Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does Ebay Do Anything About MIA Sellers?

Upon receiving an offer sellers have the following options:

1)  Accept the offer

2)  Decline the offer

3)  Make a counteroffer

4)  Ignore the offer and let it expire

Under eBay rules, sellers are not required to respond to messages from buyers.

Frankly, I don't understand your issue.  However, I do believe that the negative feedback you have left is inappropriate.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Neither of the first two lines of your post mean an MIA seller. Some people aren't the best about communicating, etc.

I've done this too where I've offered and no response, but ended up just paying full price and it goes out the next day.

It's doubtful the seller is MIA with 240 listings unless they are incapacitated in some way or for some reason only respond to items that sell.

Not the best policy to have, of course, but actually not as uncommon as you would think.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Sellers aren't required to respond to offers. And eBay is quite fond of adding the Best Offer option to listings where the seller hasn't requested it. In those cases it's not surprising the seller ignores them.

It's also not all that unusual that a seller would have current listings but no new listings if they have 'good until cancelled' listings and just let them keep renewing. It certainly doesn't mean the seller is MIA. There's nothing to inquire about, and nothing eBay could do about such an inquiry. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Upon receiving an offer sellers have the following options:

1)  Accept the offer

2)  Decline the offer

3)  Make a counteroffer

4)  Ignore the offer and let it expire

Under eBay rules, sellers are not required to respond to messages from buyers.

Frankly, I don't understand your issue.  However, I do believe that the negative feedback you have left is inappropriate.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@44r,

You haven't sold anything for over a year and possibly much longer.  So you may not know that when a seller uses the quick listing tool to post items, Best Offer is placed on those listings, whether or not a seller wants to receive them or not.  If you go back and look at the seller's listings and see best offer on all of them, that is probably why they did not respond.

As others have posted sellers do not have to respond to offers or messages.  Some may not, especially if a very low offer was made. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thanks. I guess I’m spoiled - I’m used to good communication from others that I have interacted with - and - I like to offer myself. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks. I understand that sellers are not required to do anything beyond Ebay guidelines. I guess I’m just spoiled - I’m used to good communication from others that I have interacted with - and - I like to offer myself.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Thanks. I understand that sellers are not required to do anything beyond Ebay guidelines. I guess I’m just spoiled - I’m used to good communication from others that I have interacted with - and - I like to offer myself. Regarding any negative feedback I have left - they were for items promptly purchased, but never shipped, and my having to go through Ebay for refunds. Very appropriate in such cases.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I am selling several items currently, and have promptly answered any & all inquiries about them. Again - I guess I’m just spoiled - I’m used to good communication from others that I have interacted with - and - I like to offer myself.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

PS: Think  pushed wrong button? - Not an accepted solution.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully the product you are looking for has multiple sellers and you can find a seller that meets your expectations. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not being facetious. 

I do also agree that there are people here that sell where you wonder why they are even here. Kinda like the person at your brick and mortar store that look and act like they really want to be somewhere else.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@44r wrote:

Thanks. I understand that sellers are not required to do anything beyond Ebay guidelines. I guess I’m just spoiled - I’m used to good communication from others that I have interacted with - and - I like to offer myself.

It's a trap to think that your standards should be the norm for all sellers. You currently have four listings, none of which has a Best Offer option. So I imagine you don't get a huge volume of communications. The seller in question has 240 listings. Now imagine that eBay has added Best Offer to all of them without it being requested. So the seller is having to deal with unwanted offers on 240 listings. Personally I can forgive them for not communicating in the manner I've been "spoiled" to expect. Sometimes being spoiled at the expense of realizing that not everyone is like you is not a good thing.

BTW, love that boho shawl!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply