cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to pay fees for customs for purchasing item from Japan.

Hello. I want to purchase a Virtual Reality Headset from Japan. The total value of the item before taxes is just over $1,390. I am trying to find out if this item counts as a personal exemption. Customs says that items totaling in value that are under $1,600 in value count as a personal exemption as I am not planning on using it for commercial use. On the other hand, I have seen many people saying that the limit is only $800 and that I will have to pay fees for customs.

I would just like some help in making this decision before I possibly get myself into a pickle with US customs after purchasing this item.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do I have to pay fees for customs for purchasing item from Japan.

@iuvbe0,

Have you tried searching online to see what fees may be charged by the US customs and border protection service?  There were changes made to the  fees last October. I believe the headset cost is under the Value fee, but you may be charged a Merchandise Processing Fee (MPF) for informal entries "mailed items" between $2.22 to $9.99 per item. The link below may help you. Many USCBP links do provide contact info you can use to ask questions about fees.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-810?language=en_US

I hope you realize there may be sales tax charged by your state for the purchase.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@iuvbe0,

Have you tried searching online to see what fees may be charged by the US customs and border protection service?  There were changes made to the  fees last October. I believe the headset cost is under the Value fee, but you may be charged a Merchandise Processing Fee (MPF) for informal entries "mailed items" between $2.22 to $9.99 per item. The link below may help you. Many USCBP links do provide contact info you can use to ask questions about fees.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-810?language=en_US

I hope you realize there may be sales tax charged by your state for the purchase.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

That seems to make more sense now. It was just a lot of numbers and definitions for different countries and exemptions that made it confusing. Also, yes I am aware that the sales tax is going to be added on. I just thought that providing the original stated value of the headset would be helpful. Thank you so much for providing the article, this did end up helping me a lot. Thank you so much again!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply