cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different seller uses exact same pictures and description. Is this a scam?

I recently purschased a camera (payed it within 5 min). The item hasnt been sent yet.

I noticed another listing for the same camera, with the exact same pictures (displaying the exact same defect) and the exact same description. But this is from another seller.

Am i being scammed? If thats the case, what should i do?

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@killl_18,

This is your home site if you signed up on ebay.com, and that is fine.  However, because most of the buying by U.S. buyers is from U.S. and China based sellers who have registered in this country.  We do not deal with many of the issues faced by European buyers, such as international transactions and returns. Customs, and currency exchange fees or VATs.  That is why the European sites have some differences in policies. 

I know most Swedes speak English as well as we do (if not better).  If you also speak German well you could login to the U.K. or German sites, using your current username and password, Since the item is coming from a supposed Irish seller I would login to the U.K. site. Post this topic on their Community Buying Board, just to check the info I have given you against European policies.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

@killl_18,

It would seem that you have been scammed, but we cannot say for sure.  If you were to post the 12 digit item numbers of the two listings, or listing page links,  we may be able to help you.  we would need to see the listings to look for signs of them being posted by a scammer.

Just so you know, you have posted you issue on the U.S. based site's (ebay.com) community.  If you signed up to use ebay on one of the European sites such as (ebay.de.com) the German site, you may get better answers by posting the problem on that site's community boards.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 50
latest reply

Hi @mudshark61369 ,

The item i bought was listed with: 224806923054 and the other listing i saw was: 393899314334.

Do i report it already to ebay to get my money back or do i wait some time for it?

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

@killl_18,

The biggest issue is that both sellers have (0) feedback, and just joined ebay a few days ago. That means that ebay will place a hold on your payment to the seller for 21 days or until they can prove the camera was delivered.  Even if the seller you bought from is not a thief they probably do not know about the payment hold and how to deal with it to get the payment released sooner.  The day after the last estimated delivery date you need to file an Item Not Received dispute.  The seller will have 3 days to respond, and if they do not you ask ebay to step in and they will process a refund.  Double check that information on the site you signed up to use ebay on.

I would not have bought from the listing you bought from.  Anyone selling a still in production camera should have the accessories that go with it. Manufacturers Warranties are not transferable in most cases. Reporting the listings will accomplish nothing, unfortunately.

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

@mudshark61369 Okay, so after the estimated delivery date has passed i can report them to ebay?

I cant se any estimated delivery date.

killl_18_0-1643200677454.png

So what i can take away from this, dont buy stuff from people that has zero feedback?

Dont i need to file that dispute within 30 days? Or was it within 30 days after the estimated delivery date?

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

@killl_18,

"So what i can take away from this, dont buy stuff from people that has zero feedback"?

Until you have a lot more experience buying on this site, avoid (0) feedback sellers.  Actually by clicking on the number in (  ) to the right of their username (yours is (2) you will be taken to a person's feedback profile page. On that page you can see All feedback received, As a buyer, As a seller, left for others. If a seller has received neutral or negative feedback you can click on those numbers to read only those comments. Some new or very occasional sellers can have a fair number of feedback and a 100% rating, but all of those are for buying.  If they have none or feedback from over a year ago for selling, treat them as new sellers. 

" Delivery: Varries for items shipped from an international location,  Dont i need to file that dispute within 30 days? Or was it within 30 days after the estimated delivery date"?

You do have 30 days from the last estimated delivery date, or from tracking showing Delivered,  to file disputes.   I know the listing says delivery will vary from different countries. However, if the seller has not uploaded a tracking number within 15 days, from the date you paid,  file the Item Not Received dispute. You click on the Return item button in your purchase history and select I have not received my item.  When you file, eBay may give you a message saying to wait until a certain date, before you can ask them to step in.

Again, if you signed up on one of ebay's other sites, you should post this topic there, because there are some minor differences in buyer protections policies than the ones on the U.S. site.

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

@mudshark61369 Thanks!

If the item isnt shipped within 15 days ill file a dispute.

I signed up to Ebay using ebay.com website.

I used "Sign in with facebook". So i dont know if there is a difference? Or do i have to use one of the european site since thats where im located?

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

@killl_18,

This is your home site if you signed up on ebay.com, and that is fine.  However, because most of the buying by U.S. buyers is from U.S. and China based sellers who have registered in this country.  We do not deal with many of the issues faced by European buyers, such as international transactions and returns. Customs, and currency exchange fees or VATs.  That is why the European sites have some differences in policies. 

I know most Swedes speak English as well as we do (if not better).  If you also speak German well you could login to the U.K. or German sites, using your current username and password, Since the item is coming from a supposed Irish seller I would login to the U.K. site. Post this topic on their Community Buying Board, just to check the info I have given you against European policies.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

@mudshark61369 

I undestand, ill post it on the U.K site as well.

Thanks a bunch for the help! I still hope i didnt get scammed, and in case i did. That it can be resolved without any major problems.

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

The biggest issue is that both sellers have (0) feedback, and just joined ebay a few days ago.

@mudshark61369 

Got any clues as to why these new sellers of just a few days or less don't have the usual  selling limits?   Though I understand users are allowed now to use another seller's photos and description, these two are both claiming "used" and "new in box never opened" ....

And there is another one for sale now with the same photos Zero feedback seller.   The likely original listing that is being copied is still visible under completed/sold. 

I don't think this is going to go well for the OP  @killl_18        I am thinking now why eBay may have removed that app tool that allowed search by photo...LOL.. it made it too easy to find the "lot" of them all at once.

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

The guys on the U.K community says im pretty much safe. As long as i file a dispute within the timeline since i payed it with my debit card directly through ebay (no bank transfers or other shady stuff).

Its just the time it takes thats the pain. If that doesnt work i can always file it with my bank.

I just dont see the point of doing these types of scams, if its "safe" for the buyer as everyone claims. Just a waste of time on both ends it seems like.

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

"I just dont see the point of doing these types of scams, if its "safe" for the buyer as everyone claims."

The problem is that not everyone reads and follows the MBG. We see it here many times a day when someone is trying to make a return or get a refund and they dont know what to do or when to do it.

Its like most scams, even if 99% of people don't fall for it, the 1% that does, makes it worthwhile to the criminal.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

I just dont see the point of doing these types of scams, if its "safe" for the buyer as everyone claims. 

@killl_18 

Basically, eBay has a good Money Back Guarantee.  It is safe for the buyer so long as they follow the rules and time limits for filing a claim for either non-receipt or item not as described and are not duped into waiting until the time limits pass etc.   UNLESS you become a victim of the fake tracking scam. 

If you ever get a tracking number that says "delivered" and you still don't have the product, come back for assistance for you will likely need to do something else. 

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

@ittybitnot That sounds interesting... I will keep an eye on it.

The guys from the U.K community warned me about emails where someone claims to be my card issuer or ebay. Look out for if the seller tries to stall for time and if the seller sends the wrong item.

@varebelrose Honestly, i can see how this can go wrong for some people. It isnt the easiest thing to understand. Ebay make it sound really easy, but when you start to read into the details it feels really complicated and easy to slip up.

If i didnt have you guys explaining this to me, there is a high chance something could easily go wrong from me later down the line.

If it was about 50 EUR i would probably just leave a bad feedback, try to file a dispute and move on. Its not just worth the time. But since its about 850 EUR i want to be careful so i dont slip up with the MBG.

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Hey again,

I just saw this on my listing when i pick "contact seller":

killl_18_0-1643220289372.png

Does this affect when i should file a dispute with the seller?

Message 15 of 50
latest reply