cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classified ads allow harvesting of buyers' personal info

Has anyone noticed Ebay classifieds are used to collect personal data by shady sellers? A new seller can simply open an account, list an item and wait for potential buyers to send their name, home address, email and phone number. They do not need to respond or negotiate. Ebay collects a fee, but does monitor this activity.

I have never used Ebay Classifieds, but a listing popped up while looking for discounts on new Mac Studio computers. One listing was half price by a new seller with no history. I ignored it, but later received notification the listing was ending. Too good to be true at $2000 off, but I was curious. A screenshot seemed to reveal the name of a legitimate small business in Maryland. A tech company that might sell a Mac it doesn't need anymore. I submitted my info and requested authenticity by Apple registration and the seller's real name or business name and contact info. Needless to say, there was no response. The listing ended showing hundreds of potential buyers had submitted their personal info just like me.

The seller remained completely anonymous while Ebay Classifieds facilitated the collection of customer personal data. The seller opened the account last month and has no transactions.  Why would Ebay allow such a risk and why is it suddenly promoting anonymous classifieds through notifications?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@kozushi wrote:

The seller remained completely anonymous while Ebay Classifieds facilitated the collection of customer personal data. 

Hi @kozushi 

Isn’t that true of all Classified ads …anywhere?

Do you have any evidence that eBay sellers who advertise in the Classified category are misusing the personal data of members who respond to their ads?

There would appear to be certain risks involved with responding to strangers’ online ads … whether on Craigslist, Marketplace, eBay or wherever.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Identity verification is up to both buyer and seller. On Facebook and regular Ebay you can at least see seller history before deciding if you want to contact a seller or proceed. The problem with Ebay Classifieds is you must enter name, home address, email and phone number just to ask any question. The seller gets all of that up front, and does not need to reciprocate. At the end of this listing, the seller had hundreds of inquiries for a two month old Mac Studio advertised at $2000 below market value. Any of the hundreds of buyers will take that deal if the listing was legitimate. Further checking on Classifieds shows lots of high value new or virtually new items far below market value being sold by new sellers without history. I posted here to ask others if they can confirm scams or explain why Ebay would create such an opportunity for them.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@kozushi wrote:

Has anyone noticed Ebay classifieds are used to collect personal data by shady sellers? A new seller can simply open an account, list an item and wait for potential buyers to send their name, home address, email and phone number. They do not need to respond or negotiate. Ebay collects a fee, but does monitor this activity.

I have never used Ebay Classifieds, but a listing popped up while looking for discounts on new Mac Studio computers. One listing was half price by a new seller with no history. I ignored it, but later received notification the listing was ending. Too good to be true at $2000 off, but I was curious. A screenshot seemed to reveal the name of a legitimate small business in Maryland. A tech company that might sell a Mac it doesn't need anymore. I submitted my info and requested authenticity by Apple registration and the seller's real name or business name and contact info. Needless to say, there was no response. The listing ended showing hundreds of potential buyers had submitted their personal info just like me.

The seller remained completely anonymous while Ebay Classifieds facilitated the collection of customer personal data. The seller opened the account last month and has no transactions.  Why would Ebay allow such a risk and why is it suddenly promoting anonymous classifieds through notifications?

How do you know that other potential buyers gave their personal information?

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

For classified ads, buyers must contact the seller to arrange purchase off site. Even if you want to ask a question, you click the contact button. The contact form requires you to enter your name, address, email address and phone number above your message or question. When the listing ended, I checked to see if there was indication of sale. There was none, but there were 547 likes. Likes does not mean contact, but even if only half the people inquired to buy it, they had to submit their personal info. If there is another explanation how to contact the seller without sharing the personal date, please let me know.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

meant "data"

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@kozushi,

eBay no longer has classified ads they switched them to another online company Adevinta, a little over 2 years ago for a share of that company.  There is info about that in the link below. 

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-completes-transfer-of-classifieds-business-to-adevinta/

"I have never used Ebay Classifieds, but a listing popped up while looking for discounts on new Mac Studio computers. One listing was half price by a new seller with no history. I ignored it, but later received notification the listing was ending. Too good to be true at $2000 off, but I was curious".

New seller w/ no history + too good to be true price = SCAM. 

"I submitted my info and requested authenticity by Apple registration and the seller's real name or business name and contact info".

When you buy anything from a true ebay seller there is no need for Apple registration, ebay has all of your info that you need already.  Did you actually find the listing on ebay, or on another site with a message in it saying the transaction would be conducted through ebay?

If you have the 12 digit no hyphens,  ebay item number you should post it, so we can take a look at the listing

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Ebay ended "Ebay Classifieds" as a separate site. I never used it. But Ebay now offers "Classified Ads" as a type of listing. I never saw them until now when they appeared in a normal search on Ebay. 

Description below indicates Ebay knows customer information is at risk, but merely trusts sellers not to use it for any other purpose. 

________

When you list an item through an eBay Classified Ad, you state a price, the buyer contacts you, and together you finalize the transaction outside of the eBay platform.

The Classified Ad format is only available in select categories.

How to sell with eBay Classified Ads 

Here’s how to create an eBay Classified Ad:

1. Select Sell at the top of any eBay page.
  2. Enter your item details.
  3. In Format, select Classified Ad.
  4. The duration will automatically set to 30 days.
  5. Select List item.

The fees for your Classified Ad will vary depending on the category and duration of the listing. Classified vehicle listings in the United States are intended for dealerships that use a bulk listing tool.

Rules for listing Classified Ads

Our rules for listing a Classified Ad on eBay differ from other selling formats on eBay. For a Classified Ad, we’ll send you the contact information of any interested buyers. You are not allowed to share this information with third parties or use it for any reason other than to get in touch about the item you’re selling—please make sure you’re familiar with the User Privacy Notice.

Sellers who don’t take care of buyers’ information could have their buying and selling privileges limited or their eBay account suspended.

Remember, since Classified Ads are posted on eBay, but the transaction takes place off eBay, you don’t have access to services such as feedback, and you can’t cancel the order if a buyer doesn’t pay.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply