cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't choose to use my PayPal balance for "make offer" immediate payment method, why?

I'd like to make an offer on an item. When I choose paypal as the payment method (which will be immediately charged if the seller accepts the offer), it only has options for me to choose the credit or debit cards that are linked to my PP account. I would like to use my PayPal balance, I do have enough balance to cover the total of the item + shipping costs. 

Am I missing a setting or something somewhere? I went to Paypal and set up my balance as my preferred method to pay. Don't have any authorizations for eBay automatic payments. 

Not sure what else to do. If this is simply eBay policy to not allow me to use my balance it should be noted somewhere when I'm at that stage of making an offer. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Can't choose to use my PayPal balance for "make offer" immediate payment method, why?

I believe the issue may be that your "PayPal" balance could change before the seller accepts the "offer" thereby having insufficient funds to cover the purchase whereas a CC/DC will be able to be charged.

It appears that it is noted by the fact that they are not letting you do it.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Can't choose to use my PayPal balance for "make offer" immediate payment method, why?

@jimmythefly wrote:

I'd like to make an offer on an item. When I choose paypal as the payment method (which will be immediately charged if the seller accepts the offer), it only has options for me to choose the credit or debit cards that are linked to my PP account.

Ebay has it set up that way, resistance is futile.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

That makes sense.  I'm surprised there isn't a way to designate to use PP balance first, then make up the rest with credit or debit if needed. 

I disagree that it is noted, unless there is some place it is written down? Otherwise it's left to us to guess if they (EBay) have it set up this way, or if there's some setting we should change, or if the issue is on PayPal's end of things, etc. A simple bit of text saying "PayPal balance may not be used for this type of transaction" would go a long way to eliminating confusion.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@jimmythefly wrote:

That makes sense.  I'm surprised there isn't a way to designate to use PP balance first, then make up the rest with credit or debit if needed. 

I disagree that it is noted, unless there is some place it is written down? Otherwise it's left to us to guess if they (EBay) have it set up this way, or if there's some setting we should change, or if the issue is on PayPal's end of things, etc. A simple bit of text saying "PayPal balance may not be used for this type of transaction" would go a long way to eliminating confusion.

Well, I suppose I agree with that logic. Poor choice on my part to call it noted

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

A simple bit of text saying "PayPal balance may not be used for this type of transaction" would go a long way to eliminating confusion.

@jimmythefly 

Then eBay would have to tell you that you cannot use PayPal credit, PayPal Pay in 4,  GooglePay, ApplePay, spendable funds, eBay coupons, or seller coupons as well.   Coming soon, you are going to have to select a payment method in order to BID as well.   

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I don't like the automatic payment option. It is a BIG security risk if someone gets access to your eBay login. They could go on a buying spree!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I don't like the automatic payment option.

@jonel2 

I don't like it either.  I will not make offers or bid on auctions with those sellers that keep those default preferences set to YES.  I just back out and spend my money someplace else. 

Perhaps you should rethink your own preferences, since you
require your potential buyers to participate in something you don't even like yourself:  

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Click submit.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I spent an hour trying to find these settings so i could shut off what ebay opted me into. Thank you for posting this. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Go to paypal.com, Settings (gear icon at top right), Payments, Automatic Payments and scroll down the left column (clicking to show more if needed, again and again) until you can select eBay, then you can set which card to use, but, for me at least, it says above that that it will come from the balance first and then they will apply the chosen card.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@jonel2 wrote:

I don't like the automatic payment option. It is a BIG security risk if someone gets access to your eBay login. They could go on a buying spree!

Seriously? What difference does auto-pay make to your security?

My credit cards were on file prior to auto-pay. Anyone could rack up charges on my cards if they got my login. Now with auto-pay my cards are still on file. Still someone could rack up charges.

If you don't want your cards on file, then remove them from your saved payment methods after every single purchase and re-add them each time you want to buy something. I don't see where or how auto-pay makes any difference to this process....

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Pay pal balance can change before offer accepted? But a credit card line can also change during this period. It is not reasonable explanation of this strange and inconvenient ebay change. Just imagine situation offer on  expensive item and credit line mostly used by that time. Result of this change is one has balance, but cant use it but only if makes offers. And can if you buy right away.  I can not think of any reasonable explanation.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply