cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

Bought a sports card last week. The card was initially listed at $19.99. The picture made it seem like it a dark blue prizm so I added it to my watch list. A few days later I received a 50% off offer. So I accepted at $9.99. The picture made it seem like the card was a blue variation but when I received it this Monday it ended up being a LIGHT blue variation. Huge difference. The blue is a SP but the LIGHT blue is common. There is a light blue listed at $1.99 right now on here. Not only did the seller trick me with image but he overcharged me as well.

I was very upset and messaged the seller immediately. He replied and said he would give a full refund upon eBay guidelines.  Mentioned he had bad lighting when he took photo of card. I did not see a straight up refund option. Only a return option. So I jumped the gun and sent a refund request. I assumed he would just refund me and we would resolve without return. But he didn't. He accepted the return request. And paid for shipping label. I found it odd that he would do this for a $1.99 card. I don't want to waste more time and money on this $1.99 card. I don't want to risk this being lost on the way back. Why wouldn't the seller just refund me straight up? 

The seller says, they cannot be refunded for the return shipping label. Is this true? 

I really regret sending the return request. I just didn't see any other option available.

Can I cancel the return and ask ebay to step in? Or maybe the ask ebay to step in option appears in a few days and I should leave the return request open? I have not mailed the card back yet.

Hoping I have more options. I received the card on Monday two days ago.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

@worldseriesattitude91 wrote:

The seller lied and said they didn't know how/couldn't refund. 

Should have partially refunded.

I assumed the seller would refund me when I opened the return request.

I didn't think they would bother spending $4 for shipping and tracking to get a $1.99 card back.

Would you waste $4 shipping for return to get a card worth $1.99 back? 

Or would you give me a partial refund? $9.99-1.99= $8

I would, I don't do partial refunds.

If a buyer wants a refund, they are to return the item.

Have a great day
Message 46 of 52
latest reply

Re: Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

I was very upset and messaged the seller immediately. He replied and said he would give a full refund upon eBay guidelines. 

You're making an awful lot of leaps saying the seller was lying and intentionally deceived you. That contradicts what you said in your first post, quoted above. Seems to me the seller just had some poor lighting, as, unfortunately, many sellers do. Another poster even chimed in saying how that type of card can be difficult to photograph the color. Seller agreed to refund you in full per eBay guidelines which is exactly what's happening now with the seller waiting for you to return the item before refunding.

The one thing I wanted to add, which I don't see mentioned yet, is:

Sometimes the system automatically approves the return and issues a return label, eliminating the seller's ability to send a partial refund, especially for not as described claims.

Get over what happened to this point and look at where you are now. The return request is open and pending your action. Either return the item for a refund or keep the item.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 47 of 52
latest reply

I don't know why you mentioned about the other poster chiming in. He DOES NOT know what these cards look like. He is assuming. 

Another thing that everyone on here leaves out is THE PRICE

Not only was the photo misleading but the price was spiked up to $20. The value of this card is less than $1.99. 

Why would a seller sell a card almost 20X it's value?

The pics issue wasn't necessarily poor lighting. It was that the card was made to seem dark royal blue, but the card was actually light/baby blue. The dark royal blue card is a short print. Other sellers that have the light blue variation up have it listed as LIGHT BLUE. This seller put just BLUE and put SP next to it for SHORT PRINT. This was done to trick a buyer. 

Message 48 of 52
latest reply

That's what eBay's Money Back Guarantee is for. Get the item as advertised, or get your money back. To get your money back you have to return the item.

What you haven't answered is why you don't want to return the item.

Getting lost in the mail has already been answered - doesn't matter if it gets lost, you will still get a refund.

Not sure what your problem is with returning the item?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 49 of 52
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Not sure what your problem is with returning the item?

The OP is one stubborn dude.  LOL  😊   [I'm guessing on the gender.]

I don't think I've read another thread where the OP argued so fiercely about a seller's state of mind without  evidence ... and won't even consider the possibility that the seller made honest mistakes with pricing and photos.  I haven't known any scammer that accepted a return so quickly.  

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

The seller lied and said they didn't know how/couldn't refund. 

Should have partially refunded.

I assumed the seller would refund me when I opened the return request.

I didn't think they would bother spending $4 for shipping and tracking to get a $1.99 card back.

Would you waste $4 shipping for return to get a card worth $1.99 back? 

Or would you give me a partial refund? $9.99-1.99= $8

Completely their choice though. And if they didn't see how to just refund accepting the return was also in their best interest. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 51 of 52
latest reply

You bought something. The seller sent you something different than promised. The seller provides you a return label. You return the card. You get refunded. That's it. Nothing else. Everything else is just noise. 

Message 52 of 52
latest reply