cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying restriction

I received this message when trying to buy some coins today, I have been a member forever, I’ve never not paid for a item, I’ve never cancelled a bid.

just last week I purchased 4 different auctions( non coin) all buy it now and paid through PayPal which I’ve used since day one.

and now I’m restricted from buying, I don’t understand what is going on, I’ve made large purchases many times.  I looked online and seems there’s a lot of this going on, have to say I’ve made my last purchase on ebay

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Buying restriction

Here’s the message

To ensure that eBay remains a safe marketplace to accept payments, limits are being placed on accounts based on reviews.  These limits may change over time and are determined by your previous site activity and overall performance.  This action was taken by eBay, and not by your seller.

This buying limit is temporary. You can come back soon and buy more items.{e193280

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Bummer. I wonder if your recent purchases (after a buying absence ) are what caused it. Hmmm... 🤔

Here's the policy. Does anything here fit your situation? >> Buying limits and restrictions | eBay

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

How long is temporary ?

How soon should you come back ?

@pumkimm wrote:

Here’s the message

To ensure that eBay remains a safe marketplace to accept payments, ...

This buying limit is temporary. You can come back soon and buy more items.{e193280

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@pumkimm,

The info in the link provided by @mtgraves7984 , isn't very exact about when a limit is applied. In looking at your feedback profile, I would say the limit you ran into was caused for the following reason;

"You've suddenly and significantly increased your bidding or buying activity" .

There is a gap of about 6 months before you made your last 4 purchases in the last month. If a couple of the purchases were expensive ones, even if they were auctions you bid on but lost, ebay could see that a sudden increase in buying spending activity. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Well I tried to canx my acct, have to wait till some auctions end were I was outbid. Then I’m outta here.

I don’t need a internet corporation to tell me how much I can spend and when, I’ll be doing all my future bizness with Amazon prime.

ebay are a bunch of morons, and will loose a lot of customers due to this policy, good riddance 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

That just means you ran into a buying limit.  Help Page writers and error message writers have different definitions of "restriction."

Historically registering a credit card is the most likely thing you can do to get your Buyer Activity Limits significantly increased in the short run.   See   https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buying-limits-restrictions/buying-limits-restrictions?id=4012&st=12...  for more information and instructions.   Buyer Activity Limits are measured by dollar amounts for the month (not sure if calendar month or some other start/stop day).

You also might be running into your Open Transaction Limits (they used to be described in the above linked page, but got lost in a reformat). To get below your limits you need to pay for the outstanding unpaid items that now count towards your limits, but that might not be immediately possible because eBay counts items that you committed to buy but cannot pay for at this time against your limits:

1. At least some active auctions that you have bid on (including the one you are trying to rebid on). Originally only ones you were in the lead on counted, but it seems likely that since the information was hidden eBay expanded this to count all bids on active auctions and/or any pending Best Offer. To minimize the effect of these wait until near the end of the auction to bid only one time at your TRUE maximum you are willing to pay for the item, and then pay immediately after it ends, to minimize the time it counts towards your limit. You can't pay until you win, so don't use up your open transactions on bids you can't pay for until hours or days later.

2. Transactions cancelled at your request (or due to problems with your address). Note that these also can result in lowering the limit, so make sure you are going to buy (and CAN buy, that the item ships to your location) BEFORE you commit to buying.

3. Unpaid Item Strikes. Again, don't bid/commit to buy unless you KNOW you can and will pay for every item.

To get these and other buying limits raised or removed in the long run you need to establish a pattern of reliably paying for what you commit to buy.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@msha3839 

Kind of amusing that you've posted multiple issues here since 2014 yet have never taken the steps you're congratulating the OP for.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Good for you to be amused..

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I too have been an ebay member forever, since 1999, a concierge member at one time, when they cared about their long time members. I have over 320 positive feedbacks buying and selling, not once have I ever violated a policy, or not paid for something, or had an issue with anyone for that manner, ever.  I get the exact same message, been getting it for almost two years now. Late 2020 and into 2021 I made over 20K in ebay coin purchases over many buys, never had an issue. Mid 2021 starting getting this limitation. I call Cust. Ser. and they lift it, I have no issue for a month then the limitation is back. I must be on a freaking merry-go-round I can't get off. I've talked to people in the "High Risk Dept" and they assure me they removed this limitation from my account, but for two years I continue to get it, just got it yesterday and had to call again to get it lifted. I never get a response or follow up from anyone at ebay regarding this issue. The ebay rep. tells me the issue has been escalated within ebay, someone will be in contact with you. I've requested this dozens of times, and what do I get for my 23 year flawless record with this company? Nothing but lies then nothing but crickets. Amazon has it's own issues and is no better. These companies have gotten to big to care anymore about the individual. Unless your lining their pockets as a big time dealer or seller your voice and the customer service you should receive are fading into the west if not already gone over the horizon.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply