cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying from a new Ebay user (action)

Hello All,

I haven't participated in actions before but I might do that soonish as I see a potential interest in an item I want to bid on.

BUT the thing is:

1. The user is new and has 0 reviews

2. It's an laptop and I need to ship it to my friends place since I'm travelling and only will have a chance to properly test it in a month or two after the action would have ended.

Are there any eBay buyback policies that protect me in a case it turns out that the computer doesn't work or isn't in the described condition?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Just being honest here. but I would be just as concerned as a seller selling to you as you are as a buyer. 

Low feedback, no apparent transactions in over a year, buying an expensive item and wanting it to be shipped to a different address. I would cancel any bid from you under 'problems with address'.

Not to mention that new sellers selling expensive items are scam magnets.

But from the buyer perspective, eBay does have some protections. Read up on their Money Back  Guarantee.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

EBay's Money Back Guarantee allows you to open an item not as described case for 30 days after tracking shows the package delivered. So unless you have your friend test it out within that window you'll have no coverage through eBay. If you use a credit card through Paypal, however, you'll have two more paths for coverage. Paypal allows 180 days to open a case, and credit cards allow at least two billing cycles to file a dispute.

Personally I would be very cautious of buying expensive electronics from a 0 feedback seller. It's a category that's rife for scams.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Ebay has a thirty day money back guarantee, so if its longer than that, you would need to go to your cc, or Paypal, if thats how you paid. You would pay for return shipping tho.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Edit time out! So need to do this as a separate post.

Forgot to add. I'm pretty sure that ebay has several listings for laptops. And laptops only get cheaper the longer you wait. There is no need to pounce on a 'deal' now if you can't even look at the item for two months. They will definitely be cheaper after the holidays. Don't let FOMO drive your decisions. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Agree. Haven't used ebay lately. Point taken. Respect your honesty  🙏

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into those.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Ok. Thanks for your input to the discussion 🙏

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Do yourself and everyone who buys and sells on this site a favor and postpone this purchase until you can test the item in a timely manner.

If anything goes wrong, your seller is likely to distrust you and you already disrupt the seller. Ebay only deals with issues when brought to their attention in a timely manner.

This site is still getting over the sins of the past, and there were many. Neither you as a buyer, other buyers, or the thousands of honest sellers on this site deserve this transaction.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Just remember, if you do make this purchase to list your friends address on the check out page for alternate shipping.The seller can not change the shipping address after payment, or he will lose seller protection.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Its a NO from me.

Person who buys it goes to the buyer's address who pays for it. Anything different there is NO MBG.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply