cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Should Have Easy Ability to Block Sellers

There is already a post about this on this forum where someone asks how they can block a seller so they don't accidentally buy from them.  That post is marked as "Solved" and is not open for further replies.  However, I do not think the question has been considered sufficiently.

Sellers can easily  block buyers with a simple big blue button readily available to them.  And I don't think it times out ever unless the seller unblocks the buyer.  It is a way a seller can easily protect their self from a particular buyer for whatever reason... and without reason.

However a buyer does not have this same ability to protect their self against sellers.  The ability for a buyer to block a seller, without an expiration on the block, and without reason, is not available to sellers.  But it should be.

Allowing sellers to block buyers is giving the seller the ability to protect their self against a buyer for whatever reason that seller has for doing so.  i.e. - without reason.  It is a way a seller can basically tell a buyer "You are not welcomed in my store any more" and not allow them in.

Why should buyers not have an equal ability to block sellers?

By not providing this easy ability, eBay is forcing buyers to view products from sellers that they don't wish to view.  It is basically taking the buyer and shoving them in through the front door of the sellers store.

I suspect part of the reason for this might be that sellers complained much more than buyers did about needing the ability to block someone.  I suspect eBay also has a monetary motivation to not provide this block ability to buyers.  And here is where I think eBay may want to take a closer look at this.  There may be a legal issue here.

If a buyer wishes to block a seller because the buyer (not eBay) finds the sellers store and/or products offensive, they should be able to block that seller, without having to provide a reason and without having to file a complaint.   

If a buyer wishes to block a seller because the buyer (not eBay) believes that the sellers sales tactics are deceptive, the buyer should be able to block that seller, without having to provide a reason and without having to file a complaint.

A buyer should be able to block a seller 

without having to provide a reason and without having to file a complaint, just like a seller can do to a buyer.

This is eBays domain of course.  You agree to their terms.  And so they can set their own rules... as long as those rules don't violate applicable laws.  And this is where I think eBay may want to take a harder look at this.  Is eBay failing to provide eBay buyers with the ability to protect their self in situations where the buyer may have a valid legal right to having that ability?  Unless eBay provides this full and complete ability to eBay buyers, the only way this would be settled is in a court of law probably by class action law suit.

This is just a suggestion to eBay to take a closer look at this.  They may have some risk and liability here.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Buyers Should Have Easy Ability to Block Sellers

So glad I read this before buying things from you, what an absolutely surly and mean person you are TJ

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I have been a seller and a buyer and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. As a buyer, I am sick of having to remember or go through hoops to eliminate purchasing from sellers I do not wish to buy from. The simple fix is that buyers AND sellers should be able to click ONE button on a profile and "block this user" from ANY interaction whatsoever.  There is no adequate reason this can't be done. Next step is to block eBay altogether from purchasing -since not being able to sift out specific buyers or sellers does not provide an easy or efficient elimination process. It has been years and years, ok decades that I have wanted this option for sellers I deem:

1) negligent 2) off putting or off taste in general 3) harassing 4) non-respondent 5) offensive photos, goods, or listings 6) lying with previous goods, listings, or tactics 7) disagreeable selling tactics such as no transparency 😎 canceling, not sending, or sending purchases to wrong individuals for whatever reason 9) trying to sell me things or contacting me outside of eBay or 10) any other reason (sellers who repeatedly price ridiculously, as in 100-1000% more than actual current average value if applicable, saying photos are part of the description yet not providing them or the most basic of information needed, confusing or conflicting items, purposely posting in incorrect categories to get views, mass re-listing with hundreds of items causing a search to be flooded with their goods, etc) and REGARDLESS if I have reported them or not. One should be able to block reportable AND non-reportable offenders of any kind and whomever they wish. Without it, searches are too long looking for repeat offenders, feedback perusal, past purchases, etc. Good sellers should also be rewarded so one can buy from them first by blocking out unsavory ones. 

The most absurd thing witnessed was buying an item, seller not sending item and stating they didn't have it. I give grace and say I understand and they turn around and use the "buyer wants to cancel" to avoid a hit on their seller account. I call them out on it, report them to to ebay and cc them about the truth with messages as proof, that seller blocks me, I go to bid on an item and can't as it is an item from same seller. PERFECT.  I know exactly WHY they blocked me and I'm glad of it because I can't block THEM and would have immediately done so if available. The issue is, I don't WANT to buy from them or give them one cent and without being able to block sellers, I've seriously contemplated asking numerous sellers to purposely block ME so I could get it done faster to better satisfaction. A lot of wasted time navigating through sellers I might not want to buy from who sell things I may want to buy. BUT, not that badly. And it's taking away searches, time, and potential sales from good sellers who do deserve the sales. Maddening. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

THANK YOU. Ditto

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I've been on ebay almost since inception (1999).  If I tried to use post-its or a notepad to track the usernames of sellers I never wanted to have cross my dash again, my entire computer desk would be carpeted and the notepad would be an inch thick.  Neither are easily searchable.  Many poor sellers carpetbomb ebay with hundreds of items; trying to avoid them is like trying to cross an active pasture while avoiding the cow patties.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

"You all respond like redditors. There should absolutely be a function to block sellers. Its easy to implement and there is no reason for there not to be one."

Yes, maybe but, there is nothing anyone on these boards can do about it. eBay is not open to unsolicited suggestions; they go in the round file. 

The solution has been given several times, that is what we have to work with.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

I know im late to this discussion but I agree 100 percent. I would love to be able to block sellers that I have determined sell fake or counterfeit items that they promote as real. And if eBay really gave a crap they would make this happen. Unfortunately they only care about the almighty greenback.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply