cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought Merchandise Credit - Much Lower Balance A Few Months Later

I purchased a Bed Bath & Beyond merchandise credit back in June (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bed-Bath-amp-Beyond-Merchandise-Credit-521-39-/253671493368)

when I received the card, it was the advertised balance but somehow today I tried using it and it only had $25 dollars left on the card. The seller is still currently selling items on eBay. I think it's too late to file a chargeback with my credit card but not sure if eBay can do something about this.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bought Merchandise Credit - Much Lower Balance A Few Months Later

Did you pay with Paypal? I believe you have 180 days to file with them. It's too late to do anything with eBay. Did you ask them (the merchant) why there was so much less on it now, since you had verified the amount in the beginning? Are they able to tell you if any transactions have been made against it since then? 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Unfortunately did not pay with PayPal. I will have to check with Bed Bath & Beyond tomorrow to see if they can tell me more about the history of the card. The scratch-it PIN on the card is untouched so really surprised on how I could be scammed like this.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@vci15,

How do you know that when you received the card it was the advertised balance?

"The scratch-it PIN on the card is untouched so really surprised on how I could be scammed like this".

If the card was used at a store the scratch it PIN number would not have to be exposed, its used just like a credit card.  The PIN is only needed for online purchases or to verify the card balance. Which is something you should have done immediately after receiving the card. 

As for taking any action since it is past ebay's MGB dispute time frame, and you did not use PayPal, you may not be able to get a refund from your creditcard provider.  Most of them have gone to 90 - 120 days for filing chargebacks. Even if your provider does offer 180 days protection, you will need proof that you were scammed.  They would probably require a document from BB&B showing what date the card was used, and info from your creditcard's transaction history for the amount you paid and shipping, so they can identify the purchase. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

How old is the card?  Do you know the rules that apply?  Some companies charge a maintenance fee on unused cards, which can drain the card of the value completely.

Well, strike that.  Just researched the terms and:

Expiration

Bed Bath & Beyond Gift Cards do not expire and we do not assess any service fees for non-use.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply