cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidder retracts bid over my reserve

Bidder places a bid just over my  bid reserve, retracts it and places a smaller bid, is this a new way to find out the reserve ?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

no, it's an old way. as old as a "reserve"

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Using a reserve is not a great idea. You pay a fee for that whether your item sells or not. Instead of using a reserve, why not just set the price at the lowest price you will accept.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Could be the sellers friend too.... I understand making a typo, but the bid went from 32.00 to 16.50 when it got retracted.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

You need to clink on the  bidder and see how many "retracts" they have done in a month or a year plus their history of bidding. That shows up at the bottom of the bidder's page. I saw a bidder with 200 retracts in a month. Buyers like that I would block or I would not bid on the auction.

Plus I had a bidder(s) with my auctions in the past with 2 eBay ID's doing this...caught him when 2 won items had the same address from 2 different eBay IDs.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I just got off the phone with e-bay, they are retracting the bid and restricting the buyer for shopping e-bay for 15 days.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Let's hope that buyer cannot create a new ID eBay account like so many others are able to do.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I'd start getting withdrawls if I couldn't shop e-bay for 15 days.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@lakers32magic wrote:

I just got off the phone with e-bay, they are retracting the bid and restricting the buyer for shopping e-bay for 15 days.

If they really did something like that they would never tell you.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Don't waste money on a reserve.  A starting price does not cost extra. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I haven't used a reserve in over a decade.  And I have done a lot of auctions.  lol

I think its something that isn't needed in this age of eBay to be honest.  I get why someone might want to use it, but as someone else said, why not just start the bidding at your lowest acceptable price?  (that price might need to include the fees that eBay will take from the sale, and any other costs as well)

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

It is considered an invalid bid retraction.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Why doesn't the seller starting the bid at your reserve price? Having a reserve is not of silly when you can set the starting bid amount. Or by bid reserve you mean you highest bid on an auction?
@lakers32magic wrote:

Bidder places a bid just over my  bid reserve, retracts it and places a smaller bid, is this a new way to find out the reserve ?

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@lakers32magic,

Did you place an early automatic bid, that the other bid against until they uncovered your max bid?  If so it may have been a bidder who wanted to uncover your max bid to see if it was more than they were willing to pay for the item or not.  If it was that was why they retracted their last bid.

As @12345jamesstamps  wrote you can click on the bidders scrambled ID (a***B) to see their bid history and their number of retractions. They may do that often which does violate ebay's invalid bid retraction policy, which unfortunately ebay does nothing about.

FYI If you looked up a phone number online to call ebay, you did not speak to anyone associated with ebay.  The only way you can speak to an ebay rep is to get a call back. Even then those reps have no power to give a member a suspension.  They may tell you what they want to hear, just to get you off the phone.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Yes I placed an automatic bid and I did get a call back from e-bay

Message 15 of 20
latest reply