cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE OF SCAMMER

These guys are good, they know how eBay works..

Ebay just ruled a case against me.

I bought a graphic card from one of the sellers They provided a tracking# everything. later did i know, they shipped a dummy package to my neighborhood??????? I opened case for refund. EBAY SAID ITEM HAS BEEN DELIVERED!!! NO REFUND! They didnt even look into the tracking!  The dummy was picked up from Georgia USA!

I'm so frustrated!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: BEWARE OF SCAMMER FROM Warakapola, Sri Lanka

Contact the shipper and get it in writing that the item was not delivered to your addy on file at the time of purchase.

Use that to appeal.

Tracking number scam is what this is.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes you can get this reversed for certain with the proof mentioned above.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi @maxoffice 

I am a US buyer ... and the exact same scam happened to me twice ... on Amazon and eBay.   They both were US sellers ... and I bought the same item from each.  Here's what I think is happening with this scam ... what I deduced by going through the refund processes:

I think the scam is perpetrated at the 'drop-shipper' level ... or the  'drop-shipper's supplier' level.  If one of the seller's suppliers has run out of stock ... they provide a fake tracking number to the seller AND the buyer that makes both think that the item has been shipped. 

The scammers seem to have access to enough existing tracking numbers that they are able to find one that matches the buyer's ZIP Code.  [I live in a 1-ZIP Code town ... and both my packages were delivered to my ZIP Code ... just to different people.]

```````

Sorry ... just got a poopy-pet incident that I have to take care of pronto~ 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

These guys are good, they know how eBay works..

Would have to strongly disagree with that statement LOL

But I would open a case INAD - (even thought you opened INR you can still open INAD) the seller will have to provide a return label, which they can't do from Sri Lanka, if you don't have a response within 4 days, ask eBay to step in and you will get a refund.

@maxoffice      Always think outside the box with these scammers

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

i didnt think of that! thanks, will give it a try

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@maxoffice,

Most of the Sri Lankan sellers drop ship from China, often the seller states ships from someplace in China on the listing. It is the drop shippers who are adding the fake tracking information.  If the item location was given as a city in Sri lanka but the postage info shows it shipped from China, you can try filing an Item Not As Described (INAD) dispute, since the location was false. You can get not only the shipping address but the package/type/size/weight from the site link below.   With that information you can appeal ebay's decision with 30 days of the dispute being closed. You will need to add a screen shot or a scan of the print out showing the wrong address, to the dispute to win.

https://www.ship24.com/

If you cannot file a new dispute through the site, you can try going to ebay's Face book page. Use the Blue Send a message button.  You'll need the seller's username, the ebay item number, and your info as well as the proof of wrong address (screen shot, scan, clear photo) to attach to the message, to win your claim.  The reps on that site will be quicker to respond and know about the scam.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

'EBAY SAID ITEM HAS BEEN DELIVERED!!! NO REFUND! They didnt even look into the tracking".

eBay and other 3rd party online retailers, are neither the sender or recipient of the package, and because of shipping agencies privacy policies they are not entitled to any information other than a Delivered scan. They can't look for you either.

FYI,   Graphic cards have been in short supply since the pandemic started and demand has raised prices by a lot. If the one you bought was priced below trending prices, that should have been a warning, and the third world country or china location another indication of a scam.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@maxoffice 

Some additional info about this scenario posted to other threads: 

It appears you are a victim of the "fake tracking scam". When you file an eBay claim for item not received, and there is a record of "delivery", the automated system and the regular customer service will not validate the tracking and you lose. If you appeal with the same information, you will lose. If you file anywhere else (i.e. PayPal or your credit card) for "item not received" you are likely to get the same result unless you provide information regarding the scam. Nobody is going to check to see that the tracking is for a parcel that was actually shipped before you even paid, or was for a 50 lb. box when your item was only 4 ounces. But all hope is NOT lost.

There is usually really good eBay money back guarantee protections in place

UNLESS

you are a victim of the "fake tracking scam".

There is something you can do, but it is NOT going to involve calling or chatting with the lower tier eBay customer service anymore.

Just for starters, since you have the tracking number go here, and select the carrier and input the number.

This site just might show you exactly where/when the parcel originated, size/weight, and intended delivery address. (this will not work for USPS):

https://www.ship24.com/

Go check on it, and make a screen shot. The details should show the street address (not yours).

You can get help for your issue. Typically it requires that you have some documentation from the carrier that the tracking number is NOT related to a parcel shipped to your address. That is sometimes difficult to obtain. For USPS parcels, it may require a visit to your local Post Office. If your seller is already Naru'd (no longer a registered user) that is a good thing, too. It means eBay already knows about the scamming adventures, and does not want to lose anymore of eBay's money as a result.

Basically, you are going to have to contact eBay via the big blue SEND MESSAGE button on this page:

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

The eBay staff that monitors the messages here are well aware of the fake tracking scam. Better yet, they actually have the authority to do something about it. You will need to message with your name, contact information, user ID, item/transaction number, any documentation you may have about the parcel/tracking. You need to mention that your 'seller' is no longer a registered user as well if that is the case, as well as this being a fake tracking scam issue.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

As suggested above, others have found redress for this issue by using the auto program typically in place for this scam.  When you get "the tracking shows delivered" excuse, and you have not received the parcel due to it being sent someplace else, you can file a "not as described" claim instead.   The seller then, has to provided you with a return label or send you money for the return.  After a few days when they don't,  you then ask "ebay to step in".  Keep in mind you have nothing to return should you get a label.  

You can also do a chargeback with your c.card.  But make VERY sure that they understand this is a fake tracking scam issue, NOT a regular item not received problem.  If you just claim INR, the chargeback is sent to eBay who typically responds with the same old "tracking shows delivered" using the same old phony number, and you will lose again. 

Note that these tracking numbers are real numbers.  They can be purchased online.  In some instances, a "cheap trinket" is purchased from an online retailer and either sent to you or an alternate address in your zipcode in lieu of an expensive item you purchased to satisfy "proof of delivery".   

As mentioned, this is probably NOT your SLanka seller who is a crook, but the dropshipper  they are using. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You're going to return exactly what you received VIA the seller provided prepaid label, thought a INAD claim.  

Mail that sucker, get a refund.  It will cost the seller and maybe these scams will end.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thanks everyone,

I got my money back after working with UPS for weeks. The dummy package was sent to someone else near my street. The package was actually coming from Home Depot, and they don't sell graphic card there. With just that information, Ebay agreed to refund me.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You need to report the seller, they can drop ship if they have a contractual agreement with another supplier/manufacturer, but they can not purchase and have have items sent to buyer's from the likes of Walmart or other retail outlets.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022&st=3&pos=1&que...

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

The latest Sri Lanka scam is 200 amp hour 12 volt lithium ion batteries for $200 or less. I bought one of 20 that one seller sold, waited for 8 weeks, then filed for a refund. Ebay made me wait the 8 weeks even though the seller never marked it shipped, provided tracking or even replied to my messages. HUNDREDS of these non existent batteries have been sold by these scammers and even today they are freely operating on Ebay. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I agree with @mudshark61369  that it is the drop-shipper … or even the drop-shipper’s supplier … that pulls the ‘fake tracking number’ scam.

I had 5 of those scams happen within 2 months … different selling venues and different shipping companies.   All the sellers were as victimized as I was.  This is a ‘middleman’ scam.  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply