cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto payments - will I be charged a second time if I paid "manually" when prompted by eBay?

Two days ago, when I went to place a bid on an item, there was a message to choose a credit card for PayPal automatic payments, and it also said I would be automatically charged if I won the auction.

I sent a message to the seller to ask about this, since I wanted to pay by PayPal credit.  He said he had nothing to do with it, it was eBay's choice to include this.

I added the credit card and bid on the auction, which I won today.  After the auction was over, I received the usual eBay message to pay for the item.  I followed the link as usual, paid for the item via PayPal, and the payment was processed through PayPal credit, which is my default PayPal option.  I can see the payment I made using PayPal credit under "activity", and there is no additional charge listed to my credit card.

My question is this:  what about the automatic payment that I was warned initially would be made?  Will I be double charged for this item?  Or was automatic payment just a failsafe if I didn't pay by the deadline of 12/10/23?

Thanks!! 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Auto payments - will I be charged a second time if I paid "manually" when prompted by

If you weren't charged automatically, the seller might not have that option turned on.

Each seller can decide if they want to use the auto payment or not.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Auto payments - will I be charged a second time if I paid "manually" when prompted by

The seller is mistaken they have full control of their auto-pay , not ebay.

Maybe the seller has no clue they can opt out of auto-pay requirement. 

All sellers can turn off the auto-pay requirement at the bottom of the page in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 00-03-07 Buyer Management eBay.png

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Would the buyer have been prompted to supply an auto-pay source if the seller had unchecked the requirement?

Possibly the seller unchecked the requirement along the way within the timeframe of the auction.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You are correct. Seller is in full control of that

And you are also correct that may not know that they can opt out.

Worst part is some do not even know that they were opted in. (making them not if full control 😂 )

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Would the buyer have been prompted to supply an auto-pay source if the seller had unchecked the requirement?

Possibly the seller unchecked the requirement along the way within the timeframe of the auction.

That I don't know.

That's possible that they turned it off, but would it affect a buyer that bid while it was turned on?

Have a great day
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

That's what it sounds like. Maybe after the OP messaged them they looked into it and unchecked it. And if the auto-pay did make the charge immediately the OP would not of had the choice to use PP credit.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Agree with the immediate happening if still checked. Have read of a "little delay", but don't know if it could delay long enough for a payment to be made, and if the buyer would even get an "eBay" notification pay. Really seems that it would be coded to prevent such messages.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I had a notice like that months ago. I thought I was going to be auto-pay as well. But after winning a lot of auctions domestic and International I am still able to use whatever credit card I want and don't have to pay the first day.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You may be only have auto-pay for best offers, not all buyers are being punished yet with auctions.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thank you all so much for your responses!   I'm also wondering if the seller turned off the auto pay option after my initial message.  I messaged the seller again to let him know that I was prompted to process the payment myself I stead of auto paying.   I'll see what he says and update this thread.  

In the meantime, there is only the one payment listed in my PayPal account, and eBay marks this auction "paid" on my end, so I'm guessing that there won't be any additional payment via auto pay.

This whole thing is so confusing!  I feel like there isn't enough information available about how this is supposed to work.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

"You may be only have auto-pay for best offers, not all buyers are being punished yet with auctions".

@campanaelia 

If as ebay has tried to say, that auto payments are to cut down on non-payers, why aren't only those buyers being punished? Why didn't ebay make a big announcement about the system in the regular Spring update, before opting all sellers into  auto pay, instead of opting them in first and months later announcing it?

I have one negative from 2002 before electronic payments were available, for not paying out of 5K+ actual purchases. My Only NPB ever, which kept me at a 99.9% buying only rating for years. I had made like 14 purchases in one day, and that one fell through the cracks when sending money orders. So Splain to me why I should even be considered a poor risk when making offers or bidding? 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

"I sent a message to the seller to ask about this, since I wanted to pay by PayPal credit. He said he had nothing to do with it, it was eBay's choice to include this...  This whole thing is so confusing! I feel like there isn't enough information available about how this is supposed to work".

@moongirl6,

You are right it is confusing. Especially, to the sellers who do not know ebay Opted them into auto pay without their knowledge, and that they could opt out. Then only later posted an announcement about it that went mostly ignored, outside of the big twice yearly Spring/Fall policy announcements.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 13 of 13
latest reply