cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto part failed

What to do now ?

I bough auto Part that failed after 4 weeks, Had Informed seller accordingly with videos & pics.

They started offering little refunds which I rejected. I asked seller for a part replacement but don´t want to honor the 3 year warranty offered on the ebay listings. I placed a refund case that was closed when I got sick a few  days  thus, couldn' t reply on time. 

I had wrote ebay customer support  and up today  had only  received emails saying they are contacting seller to get a solution .  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Auto part failed

If your return case was closed because you failed to respond to it you have no further recourse through eBay. Now you'll need to pursue a dispute with Paypal or your credit card. But your dispute should not be because the part failed. Both eBay and Paypal will consider that a warranty issue and not covered under their respective 'not as described' coverages. Your dispute is that the listing offered a specific warranty that's not being honored.

As a side note, most manufacturers only warranty items purchased from authorized dealers. So most warranties you see on eBay are worthless. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Auto part failed

Thank you so much. I never had such experience. Take care  

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Auto part failed

You have 30 days from delivery to open a Claim with eBay.

If you miss that deadline you have 180 days from Purchase  for a Claim with Paypal.

If you fail there or did not use PP, you can ask the credit card you paid with about a  chargeback. Card policies differ but 180 days from Payment is usual.

You cannot get a refund if you paid with a debit card (e-check), gift card, or cash/moneyorder/personal check or e-transfer.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Auto part failed

@henrylemaire65,

eBay's Money Back Guarantee only covers not as described disputes for up to 30 days from tracking showing Delivered, or from the last estimated delivery date if tracking is not used.   Any extended MFR.'s warranty given on ebay will not likely work.  Was there a warranty card in with the part?  If not you should have filed an item not as described dispute before installing the part.  If you did not install the part right away, and it failed 4 weeks later, you were probably past the time frame for using the Money Back Guarantee. 

Because you installed the part, the seller may have won a not as described dispute even if the part failed within a few days of being installed, for two reasons. 1) the part is no longer new.  2) they can claim you did not install it properly.  If there was a warranty card, it most likely said you had to return the part to China, on your own dime, where it would be inspected.  The shipping cost from the U.S. to China may be much more than the part cost, and on "inspection" it would be deemed that it was fine and the failure way your fault.  Then you would be out the original cost, the return cost, and the part.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 5
latest reply