cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accurate Description: State When Your Item Smells of Perfume!

There are some fantastic sellers who work hard to make sure that the descriptions of their items are clear and accurate.  These sellers post well-lit and in-focus pictures and they describe all aspects of their items.  In addition, they encourage those examining their listings to ask questions AND they respond to questions, providing detailed answers.  Of course, these are the BEST sellers!

However, there are other sellers who work hard to be deceptive in their listings.  These sellers post pictures with low resolution, poor lighting, poor focus, and/or limited view of their items.  They work hard to use lighting to hide the wear and damage on their items and they hide damage by making sure that it is out of view or cut off in pictures.  Their descriptions are limited in scope and avoid important issues such as the smell of mold, mildew, and PERFUME.  

As you might imagine from my use of “PERFUME” in all uppercase letters, my last purchase was such an item.  I found the listing for a vintage All-Weather Leather Dooney zip-top crossbody, read the description, examined the pictures, and contacted the seller  to request additional pictures and information. Although the seller sent pictures which did not show all the areas about which I had inquired, I purchased the Dooney.  When I received the Dooney, I was horrified by the overwhelmingly strong odor of PERFUME that accosted me when I opened the bag in which the Dooney was wrapped inside the shipping box.  This perfume was so strong that I barely looked at the Dooney as I quickly re-wrapped it in its plastic bag and put it back into the shipping box!  As you can tell from my words, I had no intention of keeping that smelly bag!  I immediately filed for a return of this item which to me was and still is an olfactory  offense.  The seller accepted the return and I shipped the smelly Dooney back to her; the seller is suppose to receive it on Tuesday.

The seller knew that the bag reeked of perfume when she created the listing and she was reminded of its odor when she put the Dooney into the plastic bag for shipping to me.  How could she imagine that anyone would be happy receiving such an item?   As we know, if she included the onerous smell of perfume in the item description then, most likely, no one would purchase her Dooney. 

Here is a thought for all of you sellers — describe your listings accurately and include information about any ODORS that your items may have.  Since eBay makes you pay for the return shipping of items which are not-as-described, you will save money if you describe your items accurately.  Accurate item descriptions will help you to earn positive feedback as well.  If saving money for the return of your items which are not-as-described or earning positive feedback do not motivate you to do so, consider this — would you want to receive an item which reeks of mold, mildew, or PERFUME???

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@smabrouk. Very good advice! I always do the smell  test myself, I indicate No odors on the description also. Usually it's with vintage 50s-60s samsonite luggage which often traps so many different odors but if they are too strong it doesn't get sold. Thank you for your post.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Not defending the seller in any way, but I'm going to assume that perfume would be like smoke smell to a smoker.

If the seller wears that perfume all the time, their nose won't smell it anymore, just like cigarette smokers can't smell how bad they really stink.

She could have honestly had no idea it stunk so bad.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Not defending the seller in any way, but I'm going to assume that perfume would be like smoke smell to a smoker.

If the seller wears that perfume all the time, their nose won't smell it anymore, just like cigarette smokers can't smell how bad they really stink.

The speed with which she accepted my request for return of the odoriferous Dooney leads me to believe that she knew that the perfume smell was a problem.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

(Accurate Description: State When Your Item Smells of Perfume!)

I'm not trying to make little of your issue, but if you are forcing sellers to accept returns

as Item Not As Described because it smells like Perfume. That would be an abuse of

the eBay return system for calming a false Item Not As Described return.

Smoke smell complaints and returns...HELP!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/Smoke-smell-complaints-and-returns-HELP/m-p/28171583 

2.jpg

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

"The speed with which she accepted my request for return of the odoriferous Dooney leads me to believe that she knew that the perfume smell was a problem."

Or that she couldn't smell at all.  I have a friend that has no sense of smell, it's a congenital birth defect.  It's called anosmia.  When her kids were babies she literally had to peek to see if it was time for a change.  

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote:

(Accurate Description: State When Your Item Smells of Perfume!)

I'm not trying to make little of your issue, but if you are forcing sellers to accept returns

as Item Not As Described because it smells like Perfume. That would be an abuse of

the eBay return system for calming a false Item Not As Described return.

No one “forces” a seller to accept a return.  A seller who knows that she/he has done something wrong accepts a return.  

Leather items do not smell of perfume, and it is unacceptable for any seller to expect a buyer to be happy about receiving an item which reeks of perfume.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

No one “forces” a seller to accept a return.

Incorrect. Not sure where you came up with that one.

When a buyer files a SNAD return/refund request, the seller is obligated to accept the return. The seller's choices are to accept the return and refund the buyer upon arrival, or refund the cost of the item without requiring a return.

If the seller refuses the return, the buyer will be refunded and get to keep the item AND the seller will receive a defect on their account for not resolving the return issue.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I have always said you can tell an antique just by it's smell.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

The speed with which she accepted my request for return of the odoriferous Dooney leads me to believe that she knew that the perfume smell was a problem.

Maybe I'm just being silly, but if the seller KNEW the item smelled strongly, why would she even bother listing it knowing that she'd have to pay for return shipping when someone filed a case? Idk, maybe she's clueless as to the rules of selling here, who knows.

Anyway, all I know is if I got an item that stunk, I'd be returning it, too.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

You do realize you could just have let the purse air out for a little while and it would have been fine, right?

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

You do realize you could just have let the purse air out for a little while and it would have been fine, right?

Unfortunately, this purse was the proverbial “last straw” as I have tried that in the past.  I have one Dooney handbag that I have been airing-out for two years which still reeks of perfume, another Dooney handbag that has been airing-out for 1.5 years which still smells of cigarette smoke, and a Dooney card case that has been airing-out for about nine months which still smells of perfume.  I just could not stand the thought of unsuccessfully airing-out one more disappointing purse.   Right now, my feeling is that I need to give up on purchasing the Dooney styles that I like.

If anyone has a solution to this problem (removing odors like perfume and cigarette smoke from leather), I would greatly appreciate it as I would like to be able to use the above mentioned three items rather than having them sit in the den airing-out and being unused.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Actually many new items are bought from stores that pump perfume smells into the stores. Makes things very difficult for sellers.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

It is possible that the seller is quick to respond to requests for returns just as many if not most sellers are quick to respond (pack & ship items) when they have a sale.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Your Q about removing odors like smoke and perfume were actually discussed on a old thread in the fashion category. I believe charcoal biscuits were some of ways to neutralize odors. You can also post this Q to the boardies there on fashion, they are very knowledgeable.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply