cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrived today— empty box

I received a package today that was in horrible shape on the outside.  It was a very flimsy box with a ton of tape on it.  The contents of the package apparently fell out of the box in the shipping process, or were extremely damaged….or the seller didn’t actually put the books I ordered into the box.

There was an envelope inside from the usps that said the package was damaged, and they are forwarding the contents to me.  I do not know if this message was sent to me, or if the seller put the envelope there.  The box weight on the outside of the box says it weighed 1 oz.  That seems to me the weight of an empty box.  If that is true that the seller had it weighed at 1oz at the time he shipped it, then he sent me an empty box.

There is nothing in the tracking that states the box was damaged during the shipping process.

I feel like this seller might have scammed me.  1 oz is not the weight of 5 books.

What are my options?  Should I ask usps about this somehow?  If the seller sent me an empty box, how can I get a refund?  The “package” was delivered.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Arrived today— empty box

You need to open a Return request. Find the item in your Purchase History and press the big, blue 'Return this item' button, citing that the item 'Didn't match description/photos'.

If the seller sends you a return shipping label, affix it to your empty box and return to the seller for a full refund. If the seller sends you a full refund in lieu of waiting for you to return the package, all the better. Good luck.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you.  Is there a time limit for this?   

I am going to ask the post office about this.  I want to know if they put the envelope inside, or if it was the sender.  If the post office, there is a chance they might be able to send me some or all of the books in the package.  If it was the seller, then they scammed me.

I want to give the seller the benefit of the doubt first.  I did, however, already give negative feedback.  Either the seller is a scammer, or the seller packaged the books so poorly that the USPS had to repackage and resend me the books.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes, you need to open a case and file within 30 days of date of delivery.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I have other books in the series.  The damaged box looked a little small, so I tested it out to see if it was even big enough for one book.  It isn’t.  The seller totally scammed me, and put that envelope from the usps inside it.  I will definitely be getting my money back.  There is no way the seller had 6 of those books in there—can’t even fit one in there.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Do I have to send the same empty box back?  It is so damaged that I do not think it will pass to be shipped.  I took pictures on my return claim.  I suppose I could tape up the box…but I am not sure it will pass.  The box is a flimsy lightbulb box.  It arrived with one whole side dented in…it was very taped, but I had to rip the lid some to test if a book from the series would even fit in the box.  It won’t fit, even if I push out the dented side.

I wish I could talk to someone at eBay about this.  This seller needs to be stopped.  He is a scammer.  I am afraid he will try this again to someone else.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Leave a negative feedback and open your return. Send the box back in another sturdy box if you need to. Be factual and dont mention the return case. It might get deleted once the return is completed but maybe you will warn someone before then. His account wont last long if he is doing this a bunch.

You can request a call back from ebay by asking the automatic chat bot over and over to speak to someone on the phone.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply