cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I allowed to buy fur products from foreign sellers?

So I bought a mink fur coat from a UK seller while residing in the USA. After a bunch of strange tracking updates, i went to my local post office and spoke to a USPS employee, I found out that the package was intercepted and is currently en route to the  US customs. Am I prohibited to buy fur coats from international sellers? Can I get my money back if the coat is confiscated?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You can import most fur coats into the US. The exceptions are coats made from the skins of endangered animals. But there are significant labeling requirements and special paperwork necessary. It's possible the package was intercepted to check that it complies with those restrictions. If you don't receive the coat, for whatever reason, you can open an item not received case to get a refund. You have 30 days past the last estimated delivery date to open that case.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi Kathiec, Hmm..I honestly can't tell you what the seller put on the customs form, however, if they had included a print-out of the listing then it'll show that this is a genuine mink fur coat with printed spots on it.

Though I'm not sure how long I should wait before asking the seller for a refund since it was shipped out just about 2 weeks ago.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The printed spots may be the problem. It's illegal to purchase or import the fur of any of the spotted cat species in the US, as all are endangered. It's possible customs may need to confirm the fur's origin and that it's really just a printed allowed fur.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

A day after the estimated delivery date Ebay gave you, open an Item Not Received case.
Go to your purchase history and click I didn't get it in the menu next to the item.
The seller will have 3 days to provide a tracking number showing it was delivered or refund.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 5
latest reply