cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After reviewing your appeal, we decided that we won't be able to change the outcome of the case.

I bought a shirt from an Ebay seller a month or so back. It was paid for and when I got the package the size of the shirt was far too small. The day after I sent the item back to the seller and kept the post office receipt. A month later (it might have been three weeks later) I queried if the seller had received the packaged. They did not. I opened a case to investigate and I sent Ebay the receipt as proof. They still decided not to take it further. I did not request a refund, just a larger size shirt. What do I do now?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

After reviewing your appeal, we decided that we won't be able to change the outcome of the case.

Hi @akhenaten 

If all you did was ship the item back to the return address on the original shipping label then you are out of luck.  The Seller is under no obligation to refund you or send something else at their expense.

eBay allows returns up to 30 days from the date of delivery confirmation but you have to file an official return via the item on your purchase history list.

Unless it happens through eBay they have no record of it regardless of what proof you supply.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Go to your payment source and dispute the charge with them. Show them the tracking number that shows it was returned.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I understand the seller is under no obligation, and thanks for replying, but I spent money on postage to send it back and have proof of this, so I paid double the money for nothing, and it was up to about two to three weeks after sending it back when I queried the package. I was within the 30 days.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Do you mean the payment source for the postage of the package? Sorry am not understanding.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Go to the USPS (or appropriate carrier website). Does the tracking show delivered @akhenaten ? If it shows delivered then do this:

1. If you are within 30 days from the original delivery date when you received the package, file a return request through eBay. Instructions here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041

2. If it's past the 30 days and the seller is not willing to work with you, your only option is to file a payment dispute. You would do this through PayPal, credit card, debit card, etc - however you paid. You will want to upload an image of the return tracking receipt to support your claim.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I just realized @akhenaten you said you did file the return with eBay and lost the appeal. I'm not sure what happened other than maybe you didn't add tracking to the return at the time you shipped.

If and only if you have tracking that confirms delivery to the seller, go to eBay customer service on social and send a DM. Explain the situation, give them the tracking, and ask them why you were denied a refund. askebay on twitter or ebayforbusiness on facebook.

If your tracking does not confirm delivery, that would be why you did not receive a refund. If you shipped with an insured service you can file a claim with the carrier for the lost package.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Proof of shipping is not enough. You need tracking showing the package delivered. Does your receipt show a tracking number?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

"A month or so back"....you 30 days to claim a refund or exchange. Sounds like it went past the 30 days and sending it back with tracking really didn't help. A USPS package will have tracking on the receipt. But it sounds like it was out of the time frame of a refund or an exchange.

An inquiry to seller if shirt was received and can you get a larger size...no response...kinda means not much you can do. Kinda waited too long to do anything.

You can dispute the charge on a debit or credit card with your banking institution online. Its rather easy.

The bank will do a one time courtesy dispute in a monthly cycle.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

The bank will do a one time courtesy dispute in a monthly cycle.

This isn't always true, so you need to stop offering it up as though it were. Depending on how good a customer you are, a bank may decide to do a courtesy refund. But the standard procedure is that the bank investigates the claim and gets the vendor's side. The bank usually gives a conditional refund upfront, but if the vendor has proof of the legitimacy of the transaction that refund can be rescinded. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sent a notice to the seller for a refund and that was within 3 weeks after I received the item. So I gave about two weeks and a few days before I opened a case. To reach China I would think that is a reasonable enough time, and in fact when I contacted the seller if they had received the item after 3 weeks, I assumed it had yet not reached them. They said they hadn't received it and so I notifed Ebay of this and opened the case. Ebay replied that the item was not sent on time, but this has to be false. The item was sent back a day or two after I received the item!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

But what does tracking say @akhenaten ?

If you shipped USPS First Class Package International it does not include end-to-end tracking so there is no way to confirm the seller received the item.

What type of return did you file? Did you choose the reason "didn't like it" or "not as described" or something else?

Did the seller give you funds for the label or did you buy your own label?

All of these details matter in determining whether or not you can get a refund through eBay.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Here's 's the rundown according to Ebay:

3 Oct
The appeal was closed
2 Oct2 Oct
You submitted an appeal

"I didn t want a refund. I wanted the right sized item returned to me. The seller claimed they didn t get the item. I sent the item back immediately to them.""I didn t want a refund. I wanted the right sized item returned to me. The seller claimed they didn t get the item. I sent the item back immediately to them."

26 Sep
The case was resolved
26 Sep
A case was opened

"I sent back the item and contected the seller and their response was that they didn t receive the item.""I sent back the item and contected the seller and their response was that they didn t receive the item."

23 Aug23 Aug
You provided tracking details
19 Aug19 Aug

So according to this the item was not returned in the 30 day period. But the item was never received by the seller so how can the 30 day limit apply?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@akhenaten wrote:

But the item was never received by the seller

That's what eBay's looking at. They need that delivery scan to confirm the item was returned. You're not going to get a refund through eBay since tracking doesn't confirm delivery.

GLORIOUS!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@akhenaten 

The transcript you posted says you posted tracking details on Aug. 19. Did that tracking ever show the package delivered to the seller? The case details seem to show that it didn't. In the end it didn't matter if you shipped in a timely fashion. Without tracking showing delivery to the seller's address eBay is always going to find in the seller's favor.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply