cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTENTION LATVIANS: ART FORGERY BULGARIA TIDEMANIS PAINTINGS PART DEUX

Anyone looking to buy paintings by J.F. Tidemanis, buyer beware.  This is an update to my previous post. Search words: TIDEMANIS or BULGARIA.

Returned 12 paintings to 4 sellers in Bulgaria that had been listed as painted by J.F. Tidemanis (died 1964). Thankfully, Paypal has been extremely supportive and I have received full refunds on each transaction.  But in order to get my money back, the paintings needed to be returned to the sellers.

Now, to my dismay, they are popping up for sale again on ebay.  Two just sold, one today (Nov. 18) and one yesterday (17).  

Nothing was changed.  Forged Tidemanis still being used to generate bids.

Called ebay THREE times to report these lsitings as art fraud.  They assured me that that they would be removed because the evidence was clear that the signature was forged onto previously unsold, worthless "art".

So I cannot state clearly enough.  Any painting listed as Tidemanis from sellers in Bulgaria are not Tidemanis paintings!  These unscupulous sellers take unsold paintings, paint over the previous artist's name, or cut the bottom off the canvas that has the original artisit's name, or find unsigned pieces and then add J.F. Tidemanis.

There is a third painting that I have returned that was previously listed as Tidemanis that had the original artist's name painted over and changed to Tidemanis, has now been changed AGAIN, Tidemanis name painted over, the painting itself altered to hide the change, and a new name added.

If it wasn't so sad, I'd be laughing.

But I am also upset and angry that this has been allowed to repeat.

Ebay DID NOTHING except soothe me with platitudes about looking into removing them, sanctioning the sellers, and keeping ebay "safe".

Well, now two more buyers have been duped into buying paintings that they think are Tidemanis, but are not.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: ATTENTION LATVIANS: ART FORGERY BULGARIA TIDEMANIS PAINTINGS PART DEUX

I'm reaching here, but I wonder if you could get in touch with his estate or a similar entity that might be responsible for his body of work in some fashion, or a gallery that houses a majority of his work, to see if they would be interested in pursuing fakes or forgeries. Sometimes an entity that controls a lot of an artist's work will have a vested interest in protecting it--certainly more than eBay.

His estate or a gallery (or whatever) may also have more and better resources to pursue fakes or forgeries than an individual or, in this case, eBay.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: ATTENTION LATVIANS: ART FORGERY BULGARIA TIDEMANIS PAINTINGS PART DEUX

I was just thinking that very same thing...

I will try doing a search for contact info and will try reaching out to the family. 

And I did a notice in the Latvian newspaper in Toronto, so I’m hoping that helped. 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply