cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member intro

indexerkevin
Enthusiast
I have been a button collector ever since I started mental detecting about 20 years ago. I have an extensive found collection of buttons going back to 18th and prob 17th c, many CW, etc., and large collection of the standard references, at least for metal buttons: Albert, Tice, Bazelon/McGuinn etc. Over the years I have also eyeballed many a china and black glass button. I've also recovered vast numbers of buttons at a paper mill dump site; I posted about this paper mill dump phenom quite a bit on the e-mail buttonlist maybe 4-5 years ago. I suspect a few on here may have been around in those days. I was on several button listservs including milbuttons a few years ago but drifted away; probably should get back into those. It is my goal to VASTLY expand my eBay offerings to include many things including buttons, books being my main thrust, and to basically start liquidating my collection as I can't take it with me, yada yada. Since I believe in give and take I will be hoping to get some IDs on what I am weak on: 20th c buttons, and will help as much as possible on any military buttons, Golden Age, etc. where I can be of assistance. Kevin in Delaware
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: New Member intro

Hi Kevin: I remember you on the Milbuttons group. Please let us know when you'd like some assistance with your pretty buttons. It's ok to post images here for ID. Click on "photo albums" to the left under Choose An Activity and it should be clear how to directly upload your images. I have to approve images before they are posted, so please be patient. -Carol C-
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I'm new to collecting buttons, but have had a lifelong interest in vintage clothing. I started buying jars of buttons at tag sales about 2 years ago and just enjoyed going through them and sorting them by color, size, material, etc. Last summer I tried listing a few small lots I thought were interesting and was amazed at the results. (I also wish I had some of those carved Bakelite beauties back, now that I know a little more about this...) Right now my collection is all over the place (literally and figuratively speaking!) so I need to find a focus and trim my collection accordingly. Acquiring some good books on the subject is high on my priority list and I will appreciate any advice on which would be best for a beginner like me. Looking forward to getting acquainted here! Ruth

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
-- Dorothy Parker

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

whispering*prims
Enthusiast
~*~Hi, I'm Kim~*~ I am very new to the button world. I have loved them since I was a small child. My Grandmother used to let me play in her olde round Button Tin to keep me busy. Then when my Gram passed it bacame my Mother's and I always thought it fun and interesting as I got older looking through them and checking out all the different designs. A few months ago I started to collect Vintage clear glass buttons. I am looking for them all the time but they are hard for me to find. I am hoping that being part of this group will help me. I also collect Vintage glass headed pins. I prefer the ones that look like clear colored glass. They are my favorites. A little about me...I am a Folk Art/Primitive Crafter. I enjoy making extreme Handmades and Pinkeeps. My newest adventure is making Wax Tarts and Embeds. My ID is Whispering*Prims, I will be stocking my ebay site soon with mostly "All Hallow's Eve" items. Stop by in August if you get a chance. Blessings & Smiles, Kim
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Hi I'm Bobbie, I'm new to the group and just wanted to say hello. I have recently decided to down size my craft supplies because I dont have alot of time for them all. This downsize will also include many antique and vintage buttons, which I have cherished for many years. Plus many new buttons I had purchased but never used, all new buttons will be sold by the gross. I am just beginning to start listing these items and should have some listings up in the next few days. I will post a link when I get a few listed. Thanks for having a great club and I'm glad to see so many button lovers like me. Bobbie
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Welcome to the group Bobbie. Be sure to post links to your button auctions under the appropriate topic heading. I don't want new entries added for each link. You'll find a topic headed "Button Auctions" where you can add your seller list URL. Best of luck selling buttons. -Carol-
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

venusinbeads
Enthusiast
Hi everyone, my name is Laura. I collected buttons as a child, but moved on to beads, then polymer clay, then stamping, then paper crafts... and recently picked up a few lots of buttons at estate sales in the area. I haven't come full circle lol, I've just added ANOTHER thing to my long list of "art supplies". I'm glad to have found this group because even though I have spent tons of time looking at books and websites there are still some buttons that I have a hard time identifying. I don't want to use some fabulous, rare button in a collage by accident! Anyway, glad to be here and hopefully I can eventually help others as much as you guys will undoubtedly be able to help me 🙂
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Hi Button Buddies!! I think I may have belonged to this group in the past. My former ebay ID was tboombi. I was an avid vintage button collector for about 15 years. Then about 8 years ago my husband died of cancer and I had to sell my collection (most of which I sold on ebay). I recognize some of your screen names, don't know if you purchased some of my collection or not! I still adore those tiny little objects of art, even though I can't really afford to collect anymore. I still have some vintage button jewelry I made over 20 years ago, and may start selling them again on the bay. Anyway, I love to look -- so that's why I'm here. --
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

weavingwheaten
Enthusiast
I am so glad I found this group, I am a new member. For years I have collected jars of buttons from estate sales. Going through the jars of buttons is like digging for treasure! When I was a child my mom had a large tin filled with buttons. My sisters and friends would spend rainy days sorting them and stringing them into beautiful necklaces and bracelets. Wonderful memories created from simple objects. That is why I cannot pass by a jar or bag of buttons, without wanting to spill them out and look them over. I need to grow my knowledge of buttons, I have use older buttons on craft projects and now need to understand their origins and value. Recently I started to sort and organize them.
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Hello, I am a new member, I have worked as product designer in the a United States Button Manufacture for 20+ years. I have always been a collector but really got interested when I took a buisness trip to the Levi Strauss, whoaa they have some cool old products. I also rumaged through a pile of Civil War artifacts and found some cool tent buttons and pant buttons. My company has been in buisness for over 100 years. Hope I can help. Glad to be a member.
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I am so glad I found this group, I am a new member. me too!! Hi, I just joined and am so happy to be here and find a board devoted to only buttons. I used to have a clothing store and started my collection when I would run across damaged old clothing. I would cut the buttons off. I now have a mega huge button collection and know so little about them. I am hoping I can learn from all of you who know. I'm also interested in buying the best books on vintage buttons if anyone has suggestions. -- gems
gems
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

tsharp1
Enthusiast
Gems, Welcome to the group! As to books I personally like both of Debra Wisniewski's "Antique & Collectible Buttons" Of course the "Big Book of Buttons" is the ultimate book but that one's too expensive for me! :>) ~Terri
logosmall
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

thank you terri 🙂 I was wondering if anyone still comes in here it looked vacant after I posted. -- gems
gems
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

LOL I just joined today, and saw you now have 1000 members! Am I the 1000 one and do I win a button? Just kidding! Hello all, I create wedding gowns and alot of the gals are looking to replace the ugly satin buttons with something more artsy, which is why I joined this group. However I love all sorts of buttons! Blessings Diana -- http://www.Sewing-Notions.com
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Hi, I am new to button collecting. I sort of stumbled onto buttons while looking for beads to make jewelry. I thought vintage buttons would be cool for making jewelry and found others think so too. I have not made much jewelry because I spend so much time learning about buttons and checking out auctions. I think I may be an addict.:^O So glad I found this group!! Lee
Message 15 of 26
latest reply