cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happened to the cookbook category?

Searching for vintage cookbooks reveals 10,000+ junk other than cookbooks.  No wonder nothing is selling. What a mess. Ebay please explain the rationale for this dumb change.  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@andys_attic 

The cookbook category has been reorganized. Unfortunately it was done in a way that makes it particularly difficult to conduct searches.

Previously when you searched for, say:

spanish cookbook

eBay's "smart search" would send you to the "Cookbook" category, and search for items that had "spanish" in the title.

Currently, there is no "Cookbook" category. The same search now sends you to the "Nonfiction" category, and finds every book that contains "spanish" in the title, which is quite a few, the vast majority having nothing at all to do with cookbooks.

To get around the broken search, try either putting one of your search terms in quotes, like this:

spanish "cookbook"

or else try adding a nonsense exclusion term, like this:

spanish cookbook -pterodactyl

Either of those searches will find items with both "spanish" and "cookbook" in the title.

The technique of adding quotes around an individual search word or adding a nonsense exclusion term is useful whenever you encounter a search that is returning results that do not match your keywords, which seems to be happening more and more lately.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

But what if I want a recipe for Pterodactyl Quesadilla? grinning

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@taylor_memorial 

But what if I want a recipe for Pterodactyl Quesadilla?

A google search for "Pterodactyl Quesadilla" turns this up:

https://pterodactylinthepantry.tumblr.com/post/17004328646/cultural-crossover-food-heresy-i-finally-...

Not actually a recipe for Pterodactyl quesadilla, but pretty close.

My usual go-to nonsense exclusion term is "-octopus" -- but you can't use that term when searching for Spanish cookbooks, you might miss some good pulpo recipes!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

With any books I sell I always try to list in an additional category to books or in a different category completely. I sell vintage cook books from time to time and list them under collectibles. There are a couple of categories that work here. I have sold religious books in the religious section - depends on the denomination. And I currently  have a vintage Christmas book up in collectibles as well. I have nothing against selling books in books but when there is another category that works it helps the listing stand out. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Being a cheapskate, I never use a second category. I will change from one to another if a book languishes too long.

OTOH, I always try and find a good "collectible >" subcategory so I can move things to auction quickly.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I brought this OP question up on another social media site.....  Losing "cookbooks" as a sub-category effectively killed sales.  Yet, BSA persisted.  😉

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

While I prefer, like my friend Taylor, I like to take advantage of all 250 auction listings I get for "free" with my store.

As I am unaware of any categories that can list books for free except collectibles, I really can not figure out a logical collectibles category where I can list cookbooks, unless the theme of the cookbook is about a  particular collectible.

Any suggestions of categories?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I have a civil war vintage book by Artemus West (yeah, he was a real guy, after all, but not associated so much with spies and stuff) that was called a "Comic Book".

It is really a travelogue, lectures of his trips to the exotic land of the Mormons, amply illustrated with line drawings.

So some cookbooks could go into this category.

And then there is Collectibles > Adverstising which obviously applies to Pillsbury and Hersheys and their ilk; as well as a raft of those comb bound books from "Lady and Sons" to "Julius' Christian Community Church and Duck Soup sook book".

As well as the travel souvenirs section for the JCC and regional cook books (and aren't they all regional?"

You get the idea. Stretch the box.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply