cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling used books that chance been written in

Is it worth it to sell books that have names written on the back of the front cover? I have a collection of goosebumps books that my sisters have written their names, largely with sharpie, on the back of the front cover. I know the writing/damage alone takes a lot off the value, but is it worth it to sell anyway? I have so many and I want to get rid of them. Is it better to just leave their names there or black/white them out?

thanks for any feedback/suggestions

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I sell a fair number of books. Some of the ones I've sold have had names or other words written on (or in) them. Unless it's easy to remove, I leave it. I make sure to take pics of the writing, name, or highlighting and explain it in the description. I leave it to the buyer to black it out, ignore it, or deal with it as they see fit. I have occasionally had offensive words or drawings. When that happens, I either don't sell the book or I black it out with a permanent marker. I haven't had an issue.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Leave it as is. 
Goosebumps aren't worth a lot, although it's been some time since Stine left that series and moved along to other things. 

Sell in a lot (pile). As is. Show an example, say they are all marked (not pencilled or inked, because it is a marker). 

The readers of these books don't care much about the condition. There are collectors, but you won't be seeling to them.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Many sellers lot Goosebumps books because they are not worth selling individually.

You probably consider selling them as a lot if you can find any room to price them below what lots in better condition are selling for,

You probably need to consider where to donate them when you discover that they are not worth your time and effort.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Just leave them as they are and make sure that you describe the damage in your listing (and include photos that show the damage). If someone is just buying them to read, it's not a big issue. I agree it might be worth it to sell in a lot, especially if you're trying to get rid of them. It might be a hassle to sell many small paperbacks for a few bucks apiece, but if you sell in a bigger lot of 10 or 20 at a time, that adds up!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply